Incredible Universe

2 Sweet

Who else remembers Incredible Universe? Up until a few days ago, I had completely forgotten that the Garden Ridge (or My Home or whatever the fuck they call it now) in Mill Run used to be this...

712069740_7e6e175a54_z.jpg

I think I was only 7 or 8 when it opened (1994 maybe?) and it only lasted a couple years, but it was a pretty cool experience. That place was fucking packed full every time I went there, it was kind of crazy.

Totally random thread, but this nostalgic stuff is cool to think about. I've always been intrigued by the rise and fall of big businesses, the reasons why they fail, and years later they are completely forgotten by most. I remember when Mill Run also had K Mart, Big Bear, Columbus Sports, Gates McDonald, a dozen successful restaurants, etc.

It's crazy how much things change in a decade or two. Hell, look what happened to West Broad. Hop in Doc Brown's DeLorean and go back 20 years, you would think it's an alternate reality.

I was in high school and was so stoked when that place opened. My older buddy had just got his license and we'd cruise to there, Media Play, or City Center to hang out/check out the newest computer games. Wiki says the chain opened in '92 then Best Buy killed them off in '96.

Pretty wild thinking 20 years prior it was shitty 1974.. but 20 years prior to now there was Incredible Universe.

I'll be driving around town and catch myself thinking about how stuff used to look, when this and that were built, when they redid so and so, what used to be where, etc. Same with TV shows and music and sports and stuff, I'll talk about 90s stuff like it was just yesterday, then I start thinking about it and realize how long ago it really was. It makes me feel old but I'm not even 30 yet. I have a feeling in 50 years I'll be one of those crazy old codgers constantly telling young whippersnappers stories about how life was "back in my day" and probably exaggerating the shit out of everything too.

Didn't mean to get off topic, I'm pretty sure I'm sleep deprived

I remember when they opened, loved the place. It is amazing how things change. I grew up behind JC Penny outlet and can just barely remember when the built the Meijer on Brice rd and Scarborough mall, Cub Foods across the street, how things have changed....

I went to the grand opening bash they had. My buddies and I would go there all the time to hang out in the car audio department. The amplifier display in the floor always impressed me. They actually cut the building in half when Garden Ridge went in.

Steve, you were 7 or 8? Jesus, I'm old.

I'd never heard of the place until now, but again I was floating on a Destroyer somewhere and it looks like they closed before I got out.

So it was an electronics store?

Yeah. Kind of like a Best Buy, GameStop, MicroCenter and arcade all rolled into one, but a mall-like atmosphere. I think they even had a McDonald's inside it.

Steve, you were 7 or 8? Jesus, I'm old.

Born in '86 :eek::cool:

I'd never heard of the place until now, but again I was floating on a Destroyer somewhere and it looks like they closed before I got out.

So it was an electronics store?

Dad and I used to go there. It was a huge electronics store, but set up with theme rooms and shit to showcase the wares. Fry's meets Disney World.

I worked there from the day I turned 18 until the day they closed the doors. The place was a blast to work at! Vendors Comp'd all kinds of shit. Sell 5 of these this month, you get one FREE! Soo many good memories from that place.

Their inventory is what killed them, IMO. They had 5 price ranges of each thing, then 2-5 examples at each price point. The Warehouse was HUGE!!!!

Damn... dem teenage memories :lolguy:

KillJoy

I remember that place. Also drive around sometimes thinking about the way things looked when I was younger. I tend to annoy my friends and family by rambling on about shit that I remember from being a kid. I tend to do this a lot with my daughter.