Title issue for CTS-V? Credit Union screwed up...

zeitgeist57

So, I've been enjoying my '07 V for the last few months, generously on the P.O's California plates. No troubles, but at the turn of the year I figured it's high time to get this puppy registered in my name. I received the title in the mail - sent from P.O's credit union where he had a loan - directly to me, addressed in the P.O's name (instead of the C.U. as previous lienholder). I thought that was wierd...

Take it to the BMV, and they obviously indicated that the P.O. never signed off on the title transfer. I indicated that the credit union was the one who sent me the title; not the P.O....She said I'd have to get proper signatures releasing the title front and back. Bloody'ell...

I've communicated with the P.O. by email and text messages when I bought the car from him, and he continues to be helpful. He's calling the credit union on Monday, and worst case scenario is I would FedEx him the title and he'd send it back.

I'm getting a little twang of worry that - again, he's been a good guy thus far - I send him the title and never see it again. At the same time, I'm not going to forge his signature in the lien release section...

Should I make a color scanned copy of the front and back of the title? Is there an intermediary I should go through for this sort of remediation? This may all be for naught if the Credit Union owns up to the error and sends a letterhead or new title back to me...but I'm curious if anyone on the board has run into this situation. Thanks!

He will need to sign the original title. Since the CU never owned the car, only had a lien on it, they can't authorize the vehicle title to be transferred to you. When he purchased the car from the dealer they listed him as the owner and added the CU as the lien-holder.

If he gives you the ok to sign his name I would sign it and move on. or yes you have to send it to him to sign and hope it doesn't get lost or anything. Or again this option won't "really" help it in your car but you can have him go get a duplicate then sign and send you that one. This voids the title you currently have but it gives you possession of the old title so there is a paper trai

I'll make sure I've got color copies of the title. I know it's not perfect, but I've got a paper trail so far plus I have the gaddamn car and a title showing me as the new owner according to the State of California; just not endorsed by the P.O.

More to come on Monday. Thanks again.

Can't you get a power of attorney from the previous owner that allows a notary to sign their name without their presence?

I haven't had to do a loan release title, I assume it is a notary/previous owner sign situation?

Good call, Sean...I'll text the P.O.

Also, what's with the Celica All-Trac in your sig? :fuckyeah: You need to look at my E36...

Considering the bank had to release the lien, and I'm sure you didn't pay him in Cash....There is a Paper trail and personally unless you don't trust the guy, Id just mail it to him, or have him give someone local POA to sign it for him. Or like someone else says, if he says go ahead and sign it, and you get it in writing in an email, I would just do it and get the title done. Youd have backup on it if it EVER (Unlikely) became an issue. I think your being a bit over cautious.

Considering the bank had to release the lien, and I'm sure you didn't pay him in Cash....There is a Paper trail and personally unless you don't trust the guy, Id just mail it to him, or have him give someone local POA to sign it for him. Or like someone else says, if he says go ahead and sign it, and you get it in writing in an email, I would just do it and get the title done. Youd have backup on it if it EVER (Unlikely) became an issue. I think your being a bit over cautious.

Your reasonable way of easily solving this "problem" will not be tolerated on here. Unless it involves an airplane, notary, and attorney we are not interested. :lolguy:

• 4 weeks later...

From the Audi For Sale Thead

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1824628&postcount=35

This morning, I titled (finally!) my CTS-V and I had this thread in mind. It was almost 6 months since I bought it from P.O. in California.

I asked the clerk what repurcussions Franklin County or the State could take for me running this long without it titled to my name, and his comment was aside from traffic laws, there isn't a time limit or tracking method for the title process. Glad I didn't get pulled over in that timeframe.

I do find it odd that I could buy a car and take possession of a floating title (as I admittedly did after the P.O's credit union sent it over to me unendorsed) for an indeterminate amount of time...

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1824647&postcount=42

Clay this morning, upon reading this thread:

http://www.columbusracing.com/ubb/graemlins/burnout02.gif

He will need to sign the original title. Since the CU never owned the car, only had a lien on it, they can't authorize the vehicle title to be transferred to you. When he purchased the car from the dealer they listed him as the owner and added the CU as the lien-holder.

Correct. I wouldn't bother with a power of attorney. The amount of work and original signature-collection involved in getting a power of attorney is just as bad as having him sign the transfer of title.

As to how you have him sign the transfer of title, that's up to you and how much you trust him. But if you've got possession of the car and a good paper trail I can't see him causing a problem. What's he going to do, get the title from you, then pretend the car is his, and then come 3000mi to steal it from your garage? Even though you've had it for months and he's never reported it stolen? Even though you presumably have evidence that you paid him for it? Even though this thread and no doubt all kinds of other evidence exists documenting the situation?

Not saying its a situation without risk. People do stupid, short-sighted, greedy, and just plain inexplicable shit all the time. But looking at it rationally, it would make the most sense for him to just sign the thing and send it back.

Update?

As Trish pointed out, P.O. Signed and sent the title back to me. FYI, best time to go to Franklin County Clerk of Courts office for out-of-state title work is as close to 8am as possible on a Monday. Breezed through title and BMV next door in less than half an hour, counter clerks were very nice and helpful.

Floating title is the way to sell it...$1300 in sales tax for the CTS-V :no::no:

^^^This... I think 5 sells per year is the limit? Yeah I would be in trouble.

Yes, then they charge you tax on ALL transactions as if you were a business. Yes, the state of Ohio can just come down and charge a sales tax on whatever it likes.

I am fighting them right now on a 78 Vette I sold 2 years ago. It was a pile of junk, sold it for $4500-the say it was worth 30k, and charged me tax+interest on the difference. Did not find out about it until got a call from the CFPB asking why there was a lien on my house. Yes, they went all the way though the process and never notified me. 2 Months later, and I am still waiting to have it removed.

Thanks obama