Mountain bikers help me pick a bike

red1993sol

Hey guys been road cycling for 3 years now and decided to pick up a mountain bike here in the next few weeks. I'll be doing most of my riding at Mohican being its only 25mins from my house. I ride a specialized road bike and been looking at them for the mountain bike also. I like the camber and the stuntjumper fsr but open to other options . The buget will be 2500-3500ish, and I know I want it to be full suspension. Any suggestions or recommendations you guys think I should look at in the price point. I usually deal with bike source being I ride and like specialized but any bike shops I should check out. I've been to the trek store, performance, and roll in Polaris. Any input would be greatly appreciated . Thanks in advanced !

My only advice. If your going to drop $2500-3500 I would recommend riding as many bikes as possible in that price range. The full suspension designs differs a lot in that range.

Total side note. Majority of the super fast guys are currently running rigid single speed 29ers. I am on a 9 speed rigid 29er at the moment but wish I would have went single speed. People love their full suspension stuff, but with the tubeless 2.4" tires, 29" wheels, carbon fork, and carbon bars you would be surprised how pleasantly smooth rigid bikes are.

I think Trek has demo days at Alum Creek a couple times a year. They usually have their full lineup of MTBs there for you to ride. I'm on a Trek Fuel EX8 right now, but I'm probably going to pick up a used Santa Cruz Bronson this fall or next winter. I rode a rental Bronson in MOAB and loved it...

As far as LBS recommendations, I like Baer Wheels in Clintonville. Bought my Jamis Nova Race there, will probably trade it for a MTB soon. I though I'd get used to the CX style bike but never did, I want to get an MTB like my old K2 that I had growing up.

http://reviews.mtbr.com/12-awesome-value-mountain-bikes-under-3000

With most of those prices, you could get the bike + tax, pedals, shoes (even if you go with flat pedals, you'll still need to add pedals and shoes at this price point), and maybe a few other bits of gear (get a pack or a saddle bag and tools if you don't already from road riding) well within your price range.

My only advice. If your going to drop $2500-3500 I would recommend riding as many bikes as possible in that price range.

Yup, if you are going to spend that much and don't know the market really well, I'd go to a bunch of Local Bike Shops and ride as many bikes as possible.

Literally just left Specialized as an employee today. I can say this: I don't have a TON of biking experience, but it's a good product. I use to ride a Giant, but I'd look at Specialized in the future myself. Also, :megusta: this:

http://reviews.mtbr.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/20130709-FS8A6629.jpg

Not exactly what you're looking for, but seen them first hand. Schmexy bikes.

Literally just left Specialized as an employee today. I can say this: I don't have a TON of biking experience, but it's a good product. I use to ride a Giant, but I'd look at Specialized in the future myself. Also, :megusta: this:

http://reviews.mtbr.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/20130709-FS8A6629.jpg

Not exactly what you're looking for, but seen them first hand. Schmexy bikes.

Where do your feet go?

:wtf:

KillJoy

You buy pedals specific to your cleat style?

As for trek demo days, dont count on too many of them going forward. My friend works for Trek and that used to be her deal, but the local shops have realized people will pay what the cost is ($100 i think?) To demo a bike for a few days, so why do demo days for free? I cant remember if the big trailer was out last year, but im 99% sure she didnt do any at the local shop level with 12-15 bikes out.

Gary Fishers were great bikes in their day, built like tanks. I had an old rigid Tassjara, beat the living hell out of it and it never had issues and it was nice to ride on.Will be tough to find the right one used though. He currently designs some of the Trek bikes which look nice but I've never been fond of them myself.

A lot of what will determine what kind of bike you get is what you plan to do it, many of them are tailored down to their suspension for certain terrain though most will ride well enough on most anything. As said already, def go out and test out a bunch of different bikes.

The Roll on polaris has the trance and anthem Giant bikes you can demo out for a day or two.

The Trek store of sawmill has a superfly FS and a fuel I believe, then bike source has specialized ect.

I currently have a trek 29er carbon superfly hardtail, all xtr ect. Its a great light bike I use to race in the OMBC events. However I love a hardtail, I am in the market for a soft tail to enjoy longer rides again with out all the abuse so to speak. I liked the Giant full suspension from my searchings, the trace, 120mm of travel. Im not into the larger travel stuff to much, I prefer speed versus hopping around and bombing downhills so to speak. 120mm around here is plenty unless your jumping 3-4' on a regular basis. I demo rode the bike and enjoyed it, however it took a little while to get used to having never owned a FS bike. The bike climbed fairly well for a FS, and I was able to lock the rear shock for longer climbs to maximize my energy. Another option is pivot bikes, they have some really nice stuff that works the trails well.

If you're looking for a used type deal then check on facebook - "online parts swap". It is a bikers used part swap, its addicting, and there are a lot of great deals.

You're lucky to have Mohican so close, its and hour from me, and I go up and ride it at least a dozen times a year, best trail around for mountain biking.

Im not sure how the trails are there but the Stumpjumper is a GREAT FS bike in that EXACT price range too. Lots of my friends here have them, even my uncle at well over 6 foot tall and 270lbs. Beats the piss out of his on some of the most crazy mountain terrains we have here.

Myself I have a Trek Superfly carbon. I enjoy the speed and the climb. Buy a bike for what fits your riding style and the terrain you'll be riding. If you're not riding anything crazy up and down with a bunch of rock, then you could ride a nice trail XC bike of some sort. Most bikes will be 2x10 gearing and a 29" or 27.5" wheel now, some 1x11 coming into the mix too though. How tall are you and what do you weigh? Seeing that you road ride you won't have any trouble pushing the 2x10 or 1x11 gearing for any climbs.

I have over 4,000 ridden miles here on everything from fire roads to down hill rock. Ive rode the different Trek and Specialized bikes during demo days here, they are all great bikes!

I've had good luck with craigslist. There are deals to be had if you are willing to be patient, flexible about what you want, and know your components.

If you want a 29er fatty though it may be tough because those are a relatively recent development. I also would worry about carbon frame off-road bikes in the used market. Potential for cracks etc.

Good luck though!