2015 AutoX & HPDE Schedule

Miller

One thing to be aware of is while I don't think Auto-x is there yet, more and more car groups are cracking down and not allowing motorcycle helmets at car events.

Why? A safety standard is a safety standard. I have a Bell dirt/street Snell rated helmet that I use for everything. I can see them not wanting a 3/4 motorcycle helmet but those aren't snell rated anyway only DOT.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? A safety standard is a safety standard. I have a Bell dirt/street Snell rated helmet that I use for everything. I can see them not wanting a 3/4 motorcycle helmet but those aren't snell rated anyway only DOT.

He means for HPDE's (Mid-Ohio, etc) not Autocross.

Motorcycle helmets aren't necessarily made with fire retardant materials, which is part of the Snell SA standard because you may find yourself trapped inside a burning steel cage at some point. That's why SA helmets cost so much more.

Overkill for an auto-x? Probably, but that's the justification. Safety standards are different.

eta: Probably overkill for an HPDE as well considering they let people show up with t-shirts, but whatever.

Yes, sign up. You would benefit, Aaron. If not, just for the all day seat time, but getting some good tips along the way. Basically, they set-up different elements of an Autocross course and you do those elements by themselves all day...and then we put them all together at the end of the day. It really breaks everything down.

Details will come once it gets closer about signing up. I want to teach, but we will see. Beth is due on the 11th of April, so we'll see where we are then and if I can get away for the day. I enjoy teaching more than driving sometimes...

You are allowed to request certain instructors too, if you like. They can't always guarantee the match-up, but 80-90% you can get who you want if you know who is instructing ahead of time.

I will likely be instructing (may be running the event..TBA) - I am the "official" Novice Coordinator this year for OVR. I think they decided I was too old to huff & puff around setting stuff up in the morning - so now the newbs can tell me how old I am!

I will likely be instructing (may be running the event..TBA) - I am the "official" Novice Coordinator this year for OVR. I think they decided I was too old to huff & puff around setting stuff up in the morning - so now the newbs can tell me how old I am!

Can ya help me drive...

better results from my retirement plan :gabe:

I am interested in attending these things. I see that there are instructors on here, any of you willing to help out a Deaf driver? I'm terrified of getting lost like James May

Of course. Any of us would. I don't know ASL, so not sure how we would communicate, unless you are really good at reading lips.

Of course. Any of us would. I don't know ASL, so not sure how we would communicate, unless you are really good at reading lips.

Reading lips while driving on an autocross course?

I'll give you a moment to mull over how that would work out.

Basically paper and pen/reading lips before setting out then using hand signals to point out directions and braking/accelerating

Reading lips while driving on an autocross course?

I'll give you a moment to mull over how that would work out.

Basically paper and pen/reading lips before setting out then using hand signals to point out directions and braking/accelerating

Seek first to understand, then to be understood ;)

I don't typically instruct WHILE you are driving, for me, I do better at letting you take your run and then instructing/coaching in-between runs while I have your full attention and then letting you apply that coaching to subsequent runs and building upon that throughout the day :thumbup:

Ask Jones and Aaron, it works better that way, IMO.....

Seek first to understand, then to be understood ;)

I don't typically instruct WHILE you are driving, for me, I do better at letting you take your run and then instructing/coaching in-between runs while I have your full attention and then letting you apply that coaching to subsequent runs and building upon that throughout the day :thumbup:

Ask Jones and Aaron, it works better that way, IMO.....

Gotcha, I read that differently. My apologies.

It's a plan. I'll attend one and when you're there, just shout "DOWN" and the last person standing will be me.

Gotcha, I read that differently. My apologies.

It's a plan. I'll attend one and when you're there, just shout "DOWN" and the last person standing will be me.

No worries, I'm easy going.

Just let me know when you're headed to an event and I'll try and be there to help out.....

I ain't saying I'm a gold digger but I ain't messing with no broke ******

:gabe:

I had the biggest crush on her when she interpreted for me.

Tell her that Cody from Ohio University whom she interpreted for said hi. Chances are she won't remember me but worth a try.