College Football Thread v10.0

bicranium

Just saw your (this) post on Reddit and got major deja vu...looked at the screen name and it all made sense. I'm getting really really pumped today for some reason. All I wanna do I pound beers and watch football. Is anyone going to VT for the game? I'm (relatively)close and wish I had a reason to bail out of DC and go.

Family vacation in Myrtle that week. HIGHLY considering driving to Blacksburg for the game and posting up in a Bdubs or something.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw your (this) post on Reddit and got major deja vu...looked at the screen name and it all made sense.

Haha... I'm one of those silly people who actually uses the same name on reddit as I do pretty much everywhere else.

Nevadabuck on Rivals (recently moved there from Scout after he found out Scout wouldn't be renewing his contract since his info has pretty much dried up since Meyer got here) has been saying that Gibson is looking amazing at WR. No idea how much credibility there is to that but there are some videos of him playing WR out there where he looks pretty good.

Here is a small highlight video from him playing WR at a 7 on 7 tourney last year...

Also, been reading a lot of good stuff about the young OL. Branden Bowen, Kevin Feder and Grant Schmidt are just massive human beings with great work ethics. Marotti and Warinner love them. OT Isaiah Prince was actually the first of any of the freshmen to have his black stripe removed (signifies the moment when a player has proven himself enough for the staff to consider him a true member of the Buckeye football team). The 2nd freshman to lose his stripe was RB Mike Weber. Some may remember Weber was the kid who felt somewhat betrayed when RB coach Stan Drayton took a job with the Bears just a day or two after Weber signed with Ohio State. It's good to hear he's putting in the kind of effort he must be to have lost his stripe so early. I remember thinking we could have used a back like him to spell Zeke vs. Oregon and later it came out that Urban used a pitch saying basically exactly that to him during his recruitment. He said if he was on the team he would have gotten carries vs. Oregon. With Samuel being a bit of a hybrid WR/RB (especially early with Marshall and Wilson suspended), Dunn reportedly still being something of a fumble machine and Ball not doing much of anything I think Weber is going to see a good bit of carries this year.

Interesting news out of Kentucky today;

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/college-football/2015/08/57696/marcelys-jones-dismissed-from-kentucky-for-violation-of-team-rules

Originally a Buckeye recruit. Urban got slammed for "over recruiting" when he let this kid go, turns out it may have been less about numbers than was originally suspected.

Also, I feel like our second string kids would go 8-4 this year. We have some legit depth at some important positions.

Freshman Mike Weber was earning rave reviews during the early portions of Ohio State fall camp for his bruising running style, but his movement up the depth chart is currently on hold.

Weber is out 3-4 weeks with a torn meniscus, sources told Eleven Warriors Monday night. He has surgery scheduled for Tuesday morning.

Looks like it's time for Brionte Dunn to finally step up as he should be the #2 man behind Elliott heading into the season.

Originally a Buckeye recruit. Urban got slammed for "over recruiting" when he let this kid go, turns out it may have been less about numbers than was originally suspected.

I don't think anyone went after Urban for Jones' transfer. He basically said "Fuck you" to the staff on his way out over Twitter. He was a lazy piece of shit at Ohio State and it looks like that carried over to Kentucky. Warinner was so frustrated with him because he had some great physical tools but just didn't want to put in the work.

Most recent practice highlight video thingy from OSU...

Gibson looks pretty natural out there at WR and Brown making some really tough catches is nice to see. He had a great spring and OSU's going to need him in Blacksburg with Marshall, Wilson and Smith out.

Also, E:60 The Rise of Ezekiel Elliott airs tonight on ESPN at 8PM. And tomorrow night at 7PM Scarlet and Gray Days (BTN's inside look at OSU's camp) airs. I know it's at least 2 parts (8/19 and 8/26) but could be 3 with another episode on 9/2 since the season doesn't start until 9/7. Oh, and the narrator for Scarlet and Gray Days is Oscar winner JK Simmons. Huge OSU fan.

Us Todays poll

1. Ohio State | 2. Baylor | 3. Auburn | 4. Alabama | 5. Boise State | 6. TCU | 7. Oregon | 8. Arizona State | 9. Michigan State | 10. Stanford

11. UCLA | 12. Florida State | 13. Clemson | 14. Mississippi | 15. Oklahoma | 16. Georgia | 17. Southern California | 18. Georgia Tech | 19. Arizona | 20. Virginia Tech

What am I missing about Auburn? I don't remember them being very good last year. I don't remember them really being anything close to good last year. Did they find (pay) the next Cam Newton?

They got Muschanp running their defense now. It's bigger then the second coming.

It's good to see my Bama boys have the hardest schedule in college football and not cake walk like the Buckeyes.

Ohio state and Baylor seem to be the only legitimate ranking on that poll. Everyone else in the top ten could be scrambled any which way and it wouldn't be any different.

They got Muschanp running their defense now. It's bigger then the second coming.

It's good to see my Bama boys have the hardest schedule in college football and not cake walk like the Buckeyes.

Ohio state and Baylor seem to be the only legitimate ranking on that poll. Everyone else in the top ten could be scrambled any which way and it wouldn't be any different.

That's not enough to move them into the top 20 for me.

Based upon preseason rankings. This, at it's core, is why I think that CFB teams should not be ranked at all until at least week 8.

I'll just leave this here.

Bama's November FCS schedule over the last few years.

11/21/15 - Chareston Southern

11/22/14 - Western Carolina

11/23/13 - Chattanooga

11/17/12 - Western Carolina

11/19/11 - Georgia Southern

11/18/10 - Georgia State

11/21/09 - Tenn-Chattanooga

Mississippi, Mississippi State, Texas A&M, South Carolina. All touted as powerhouses that were sure picks for the playoff at different points in the season, all ended up being average at best, all helped boost hand-made SEC-favoring rankings. /argument

+1, rankings shouldn't exist until week 8. Auburn is this year's sacrifice to boost artificial rankings since they're a "top 5" team. :lolguy::lolguy::lolguy:

Dream Scenario:

1. Ohio State wins national title (again)

2. Someone from Ohio State wins Heisman

3. Bosa wins the defensive player of the year award and goes #1 in draft

4. Cardale Jones goes in first round of NFL draft

5. Elliot goes in first round of NFL draft

6. Ohio State smokes an SEC team in the playoff on way to winning playoff

7. Some Ohio State offensive lineman goes in first found of NFL draft

8. Braxton has Heisman-like numbers and goes in first round of NFL draft

Is there any chance Ohio State could have three to four guys go in first round of the draft? I usually don't care that much about NFL draft status, but I know recruits care, and, as a result, it matters a lot.

I'm late, but fap'd furiously to this post. But lack of pictures of your rumored amazing hair left me holding on too long for a climax....

That said OSU will flat smoke Bama and any other inbred SEC team that tries to step up and poke the bear. Urban ash's his stogie into Bama's water supply...

I'll just leave this here.

Bama's November FCS schedule over the last few years.

11/21/15 - Chareston Southern

11/22/14 - Western Carolina

11/23/13 - Chattanooga

11/17/12 - Western Carolina

11/19/11 - Georgia Southern

11/18/10 - Georgia State

11/21/09 - Tenn-Chattanooga

All the premier programs in the SEC have either a bye week or an FCS opponent before their biggest rivalry game. It's hilarious.

Boise State at #5? Am I the only one that said WTF in response to that?

TCU too low.

Michigan State too low.

I predict Alabama beats Ole Miss by about 65 points.

I saw WTF to Boise State aas well, I went and looked it up.. From what I saw it seems okay, Michigan State should be above Oregon and Baylor.

1. Ohio State

2. TCU

3. Alabama

4. Baylor

5. Oregon

6. Michigan State

7. Auburn

8. Florida State

9. Georgia

10. USC

22. Boise State

All the premier programs in the SEC have either a bye week or an FCS opponent before their biggest rivalry game. It's hilarious.

Great and Ohio state has a super easy schedule in a weak conference. The only game worth watching is against sparty.

Look at Alabamans schedule. Do you honestly think anyone has a harder schedule in college football?

B10 East = SEC West

Ohio State = Alabama (Ohio State is better)

Mich State = Auburn (Michigan State is likely better)

Penn State = LSU (draw)

Michigan = Texas AM (draw)

Indiana = Miss State (Miss State is likely better)

Rutgers = Arkansas (draw)

Maryland = Ole Miss (Ole Miss is better)

Seems about even to me? You have three draws, one team better than it's counterpart each way, and one lean each way.

In terms of schedule this year (Ohio State vs. Alabama):

Virginia Tech = Wisconsin

Mich State = Auburn

Michigan = Texas AM

Indiana = Miss State

Penn State = LSU

Rutgers = Arkansas

Minnesota = Georgia

Northern Illinois = Tennessee (N. Illinois likely better)

Maryland = Ole Miss (Ole Miss likely better)

Hawaii = LA Monroe

W. Michigan = Middle Tennessee

Illinois = Charleston Southern (Illinois likely better)

Not sure I see a huge discrepancy in difficulty between the two.

B10 East = SEC West

Ohio State = Alabama (Ohio State is better)

Mich State = Auburn (Michigan State is likely better)

Penn State = LSU (draw)

Michigan = Texas AM (draw)

Indiana = Miss State (Miss State is likely better)

Rutgers = Arkansas (draw)

Maryland = Ole Miss (Ole Miss is better)

Seems about even to me? You have three draws, one team better than it's counterpart each way, and one lean each way.

Mich State = Auburn

Michigan = Texas AM

Indiana = Miss State

Penn State = LSU

Rutgers = Arkansas

Minnesota = Georgia

Hawaii = LA Monroe

I do, Ohio State has to play in the B1G CG, a Playoff game and then the NCG.

Look at Alabamans schedule. Do you honestly think anyone has a harder schedule in college football?

That is exactly my point. There is no real way to know how tough a schedule is/was until we see the teams on it actually play.

Any of you guys remember that early season top ten barn burner between A&M and The Fighting Steve Spurriers of SC? A&M won, and CFB collectively turned into the "Gerseberms" girl...

"ERMAHGERD!! SC wers rernked terp ferve! Ergies merst ber ENCERDERBLE!!!" And all of a sudden, it was Kenny Hill for Heisman, and watch out for dem Aggies.

How'd that end? Aggies at 8-5, Hill lost the starting job halfway through the season. Meanwhile, in SC The Ol' Ball Coach managed to lead his top five preseason team to a sparkling 7-6 record, while ranking 91st(!) in points against in CFB.

By week 8, we all KNEW that these guys were pretenders. But no one knows shit, really, prior to week one. Ranking teams then is as dumb as an arranged marriage.

Boise State at #5? Am I the only one that said WTF in response to that?

TCU too low.

Michigan State too low.

I predict Alabama beats Ole Miss by about 65 points.

I didn't get past Auburn to Boise was even listed, which is too high.

B10 East = SEC West

Mich State = Auburn

Michigan = Texas AM

Indiana = Miss State

Penn State = LSU

Rutgers = Arkansas

Minnesota = Georgia

Hawaii = LA Monroe

The only teams that should ply FCS teams are weak Power 5 schools trying to build a program and non Power 5 schools. Anyone else is just being a pussy.

Western Michigan is way better than Middle Tennessee. Ohio State is playing 2 of the top 3 MAC West teams. You can argue Wisky is tougher than Virgina Tech, but Ohio State plays better teams in the rest of the non conference schedule.

Of course when you're #1 and your second team could win the MAC & put up a good challenge for the conference you're in, everyone will say your schedule is weak.