College Football Thread v10.0

bicranium

Great and Ohio state has a super easy schedule in a weak conference. The only game worth watching is against sparty.

I mean, I know you're an uninformed troll but just going with it, I was specifically talking about games right before the biggest rivalry game.

Alabama plays an FCS school before the Iron Bowl. Auburn plays Idaho which may as well be an FCS school before the Iron Bowl. That's how the SEC operates.

Do you know who OSU plays before their biggest rivalry game, The Game vs. Michigan? I know you have no clue whatsoever so I'll answer it for you... Michigan State.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great and Ohio state has a super easy schedule in a weak conference. The only game worth watching is against sparty.

Look at Alabamans schedule. Do you honestly think anyone has a harder schedule in college football?

I see you've bumped your head.

Stop wearing socks on the hardwood dance floor. I know it's fun, but look at what it caused you to say.

Proud and excited for my brother-in-law to be back doing sports after two years away. He was chosen to be the lead in-studio anchor for this year's Buckeye Fever pre & post game shows. Nathan was the sports director in Dayton for 8 years before getting out of the news, but the draw of Buckeye football pulled him back in.

http://www.abc6onyourside.com/sports/features/sports/stories/THE-FOOTBALL-FEVER-Adding-New-Dimension-to-our-2015-Coverage-187841.shtml#.VdYaWJcaEdX

What was it?

Also... someone on Reddit put together a list of the most high profile match-ups in a single series all time. Much to the dismay of any insane person who thought the Iron Bowl mattered outside the state of Alabama, The Game was tops in basically every category with the Iron Bowl not even making an appearance in the top 10.

Maurice Clarett was on Mike and Mike this morning. Incredible to hear him speak now, hear how far he has come. Dude is seriously the poster child for having the world by the balls, fucking it up so bad that he ended up in prison, but coming back and making something really positive out of his life. Mo is going to have an impact on lots of peoples lives in a positive way.

Just saw on Ohio state's official Instagram that they are wearing black uniforms against Penn state. Thebhelmets are still silver and honestly, the uniform still says Ohio state to me

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/alittlelessordinary/11870925_10153596727471907_3824661470073316591_n_zpsjuv3sbsm.jpg

My bad we actually scored 14 that game. Final 63-14. It was in 1994. Penn State was ranked 1 and we were ranked 21. Ah yes another gem of a performance from a ranked Cooper team.

Easy killer, Cooper won plenty of tough games against ranked opponents...just way less than he should have with the amount of talent he was bringing in.

Just saw on Ohio state's official Instagram that they are wearing black uniforms against Penn state. Thebhelmets are still silver and honestly, the uniform still says Ohio state to me

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/alittlelessordinary/11870925_10153596727471907_3824661470073316591_n_zpsjuv3sbsm.jpg

That picture was made by some random dude on 11W. I don't think that account is as official as they claim to be.

Easy killer, Cooper won plenty of tough games against ranked opponents...just way less than he should have with the amount of talent he was bringing in.

From memory, I can recall exactly four games he won against ranked/important opponents in games that mattered: against Arizona State in the Rose Bowl, against Texas AM in the Sugar Bowl (with arguably the most talented team in Ohio State's history - the '98 squad), and both times we played Notre Dame in the 1990s. (Note: even though the homer in me doesn't want to admit it, but those Notre Dame teams weren't nearly as competitive as the Irish squads of the early 1990s and 1980s.)

Here are games from memory that mattered that Cooper did NOT win:

- Michigan State in 1998 (perhaps the worst lost I've ever suffered as a fan)

- Michigan pretty much every year (even with far superior squads)

- Penn State in 1994 (see the aforementioned massacre)

- pretty much every bowl game minus the two I mentioned previously

- Miami in the Kickoff Classic

- Florida State in the Sugar Bowl (we got manhandled)

So, no, I can't agree that he won "plenty of tough games." In fact, I'd say Cooper's legacy is the exact opposite of that - he won almost no tough games. He couldn't beat Michigan, he couldn't win a bowl game to save his life, and he lost far more than he should have with the talent he had. He was the absolute worst in-game manager I have ever seen and, quite frankly, looked either like lost dementia patient or like a pathetic cheerleader on the sidelines during crunch time. I think he was great at assembling talent but sucked at execution.

The Cooper era sucked. We should have won at least one or two national championships. Instead, we choked away a ton of games. The Game - and pretty much all other games that mattered - got away from him, they were bigger than him. He tried to approach them game like a mini-NFL coach - downplay the rivalry aspect, talk up the business aspect, take away the emotion, make everything very workman-like - and, in doing so, his kids got consumed/overwhelmed when it came to the bigger stage (when so often you have to embrace the emotion, feed on it, use it, etc.). His mini-NFL approach did wonders for recruiting, putting up wonderful offensive numbers, etc., but it sucked when it came to emotionally-charged games, like Michigan and the other bigger games.

I think the reason why people went fucking gaga over Tressel when he first spoke to fans at the basketball game (right after he was named head coach) is because he did a 180 from Cooper: he came right out and embraced the rivalry with Michigan, he completely and totally accepted the fact that it was all about Michigan and the enormity of The Game. I'm not sure if people realized it or not, but it was a totally different psychological approach than what Cooper had used. Cooper was all about "Hey, Michigan, it's just another game, we aren't looking ahead, this is all business" stuff, and Tressel was like, "Nope, The Game is the biggest thing in the fucking universe and you better believe we are gunning to beat the piss out of Michigan." And, I don't think it's any coincidence that Tressel has such a stellar record against Michigan.

P.S. DJ, <3 you. This mini-tirade wasn't so much directed toward you as it was just springboarding off what you had said. And my pent up angst from having lived the misery of the Cooper era.

P.P.S. I saw John Cooper in a Hillard Best Buy a couple of years ago. I shook his hand and told him I was very appreciative of everything he did for Ohio State and that I was a huge fan. So, in the interests of being transparent, I want to acknowledge my hypocrisy: when given the chance, I caved and told John Cooper I loved him. So, I'm a homer - sue me.