College Football Thread v10.0

bicranium

Well fuck me sideways and call me Bruce Hooley.

Hi Bruce Hooley!

Predictions for Playoff:

1. Ohio State

2. Arizona State

3. The Rambling Wreck of Geogia Tech

4. SEC Champ will have 2 losses. Let's go with Mizzou.

Big 12 left out again with 3 true champions this year. (TCU, Baylor & Oklahoma)

I wanted to pick both Oklahoma and Georgia for the playoff, but those two teams consistently troll me year in and year out.

I think (hope) USC turns into a car fire. I think Oregon will be vulnerable with a new QB. Arizona will be in the mix, but I'm giving the nod to Arizona State in the South and the Pac12 in total.

This is the year Clemson stops being Clemson and gets off the snide. Of course, Clemson is another one of those teams that troll people year in and year out. So, maybe I'm being idiotic for picking them.

I think TCU is not as good as what people think they are. I think Baylor remembers it's Baylor and implodes with all it's rapist on campus shit. Oklahoma will shit the bed like clockwork. Big12 doesn't have a championship game. Perfect reason for them to be left out of the playoff again.

Since Georgia will manage to self-destruct like clockwork and the rest of the SEC East is the equivalent of the Groveports and Hamilton Townships, that means it has to be an SEC West team in the playoff. Pick one. I picked Auburn. I could have easily have picked LSU or Bama. Whatever - any of those teams is going to get straight fucking smoked by Ohio State in the playoff.

Add Clemson to your permenant troll list.

+1 on Georgia, Oklahoma, TCU & USC

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's going to be very difficult for any conference to get 2 teams into the playoff, since that means 2 conferences will be left out. For that to happen, the conferences being left out need to have a 2 loss champion, and the one conference that gets two teams in has in it's second-team-in a team that only loss was to the conference champion. For instance, it could be:

1. Ohio State

2. Arizona

3. Alabama

4. Michigan State

*B12 is anarchy in this scenario and the ACC just sucks.

*Michigan State beats everyone handily, loses close game at Ohio State late in the season

*Ohio State beats up B10 West team in conference championship, something not even competitive

What do you guys think?

Upset pick of this week, Minnesota over TCU

I'll be rooting for the gophers but I don't think it's cold enough.

I think it's going to be very difficult for any conference to get 2 teams into the playoff, since that means 2 conferences will be left out. For that to happen, the conferences being left out need to have a 2 loss champion, and the one conference that gets two teams in has in it's second-team-in a team that only loss was to the conference champion. For instance, it could be:

1. Ohio State

2. Arizona

3. Alabama

4. Michigan State

*B12 is anarchy in this scenario and the ACC just sucks.

*Michigan State beats everyone handily, loses close game at Ohio State late in the season

*Ohio State beats up B10 West team in conference championship, something not even competitive

What do you guys think?

For any conference to get 2 in, there has be be an undefeated and a 1 loss team. I really think it would have to be a team that didn't get a chance to play the undefeated team in the regular season or conference championship game. Big Ten example, Wisconsin loses to Bama then runs the table and gets blownout again by OSU. Meanwhile, Iowa's only loss was to Wisky close in Camp Randell. Then 2 Conferences have to do really bad and have 2 or more loss champions that just don't look good. I think it's a long shot for one conference, even the SEC to get 2 in.

Other scenario would be undefeated #1 vs undeafeted #2 in a conference championship game that was close with a 2 or more loss conference champions from 2 non SEC conferences or 2 Big 12 one loss 1 true champions + 2 loss non SEC conference champion

OR Possible 2-3 loss SEC champion and 1 loss SEC championship game loser. Because SECSPN overatings.

I want Minnesota to do well vs. TCU and I expressed my lack of faith in TCU's greatness this year but they don't have Cobb anymore. Definitely think it could be a good game Thursday night but not getting my hopes up for the upset.

Michigan @ Utah should be a good game Thursday night as well.

Same. Some know that I'm a UofM fan so cant wait for Thursday night to see where the team stands. ESPN gave us a 19% of winning the game so hopefully we can prove ESPN wrong.

I knew there was something strange about it...finally, I've figured it out! :masturboy:

Same. Some know that I'm a UofM fan so cant wait for Thursday night to see where the team stands. ESPN gave us a 19% of winning the game so hopefully we can prove ESPN wrong.

I expect a good game but I don't expect them to win.

I really have no idea how good Utah is so that 19% number is surprising. I'll definitely be flipping back and forth between the Minnesota/TCU (ESPN) and Utah/Michigan (FS1) games Thursday night.

Vegas' input on those games...

Utah favored by 6. TCU favored by 14 1/2.

Why all the doubt with TCU in here? They have basically their entire offense returning which was just crazy last year. They could almost score at will against anyone. Their defense is returning some major players as well. I just don't see how you guys can doubt them. They are the most solid team in the Big 12 and they have a great coach as well.

They are going to blow out Minnesota. Minnesota can't score like a TCU can. And if you want to beat a TCU you have to be able to go drive for drive with them

Zack, think it's time to start v11 and get some picks in?

Notable P5 games this week:

#2 TCU at Minnesota - I think TCU wins in a close game. TCU is one of my early playoff picks.

Washington at #23 Boise State

Virginia at #13 UCLA - UCLA could be a quiet surprise this year.

Louisville vs #6 Auburn (neutral-site game) - Aubie wins, but not by much. I expect them to be out of the top 10 by week 4.

Texas A&M at #15 Arizona State

Texas at #11 Notre Dame - Homer pick. Born in Austin, would love for the Horns to rise back to relevancy. I also think Notre Dame is garbage, as usual.

#20 Wisconsin vs. #3 Alabama (neutral-site game) - Wisky in a shootout. 40+ by both teams.

#1 THE Ohio State Buckeyes at Virginia Tech - tOSU is antsy, but solid. Expect a couple 4th quarter TDs to seal the win.

Week 1 playoff picks:

Ohio State, TCU, USC, Alabama

HOLY FUCK, JUST WRITING THIS GAVE ME GOOSEBUMPS. WE HAVE SURVIVED OFFSEASON GENTLEMEN!!

Edited by airwg2189

Those are some really good matchups - Texas v Notre Dame pits blue bloods against each other. Louisville is one of those teams that might forget they are supposed to lose to a "superior" team - and don't they have Pitrino back? He is a douche, but he can coach college ball pretty well.

Zack, think it's time to start v11 and get some picks in?

I think I might start a new thread Thursday AM since we're probably getting close to the point where the thread will start double posting and we don't want to deal with that/starting a new thread right in the middle of opening week.

Those are some really good matchups - Texas v Notre Dame pits blue bloods against each other. Louisville is one of those teams that might forget they are supposed to lose to a "superior" team - and don't they have Pitrino back? He is a douche, but he can coach college ball pretty well.

They do have Petrino back. This will be his 2nd year back at the Ville. Was funny hearing about the Kyle Flood thing at Rutgers last week and thinking if they end up firing him it would be great if they got Schiano back. Would be like going back in time 10 years except both teams are in real conferences now.

My picks...

#2 TCU at Minnesota - TCU probably wins by about what Vegas expects, 2 scores. Minnesota is solid but unless their new RB just bursts out with Cobb-level production they're going to have to adjust.

Washington at #23 Boise State - Petersen hasn't been great at Washington yet. Not Dan Hawkins-level terrible but not great.

Virginia at #13 UCLA

Louisville vs. #6 Auburn (neutral site game) - interested to see how good Auburn actually is since they're getting crazy hype

Texas A&M vs. #15 Arizona State (neutral site game) - going with A&M here. Like their QB and their WR's are pretty good. Chavis should have the defense at least respectable which couldn't really be said since Sumlin has been there.

Texas at #11 Notre Dame

#20 Wisconsin vs. #3 Alabama (neutral site game) - probably a closer game than anyone down south would expect. Bama has some things to figure out. Wisconsin will do what they do. Just hope Stave is ready to actually play some QB.

#1 THE Ohio State Buckeyes at Virginia Tech - keep VT under 20 and OSU wins. Just need the defense to play at the same level they did in the post-season and the offense will manage with 3 of their top 4 WR's suspended. Urban seemed excited about Braxton at his new position for the first time really at his presser yesterday so we'll see if he's ready.

BTW - had to change a few things. Louisville vs. Auburn is in Atlanta and A&M vs. Arizona State is in Houston.

Edited by bicranium

Roger, my bad, was typing up purely on memory.

Only reason I picked up on it is because I have an A&M friend who has been talking about this game for probably a year. I've been bashing A&M's horrible non-conference schedule (basically Baylor-level bad for the past few years) so he's been throwing this one around as much as he can.

Love the neon green leaves! Yay! Green is one of our colors and looks great with the red and the black and the gray.

Wait, no it doesn't. I'm certain at this point Ohio State is just doing this to troll me.

For some reason, I felt like revisiting this. I would like to submit the following from the 1968 season;

I would like to submit the following to the court;

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h23/lhiannonshee/archiesticker_zpsh1khabwl.jpg

If they are doing it just to troll you, Tilley, they've must have known you were going to hate it before you were even born.

Your exhibit has been entered into evidence and will be considered by this Court, counselor. I am inclined to agree with your intimation that Ohio State is not donning stupid neon green buckeye leaves on their helmets just to troll a one very charismatic and perpetually fit Tilley. However, this, perhaps, leaves Ohio State - and my pun was very much intended, counselor - in an even less enviable position of simply being idiotic and clueless. With the troll hypothesis, there is at least some method to their insanity; without it, we are left the conclusion that Ohio State is just plain stupid. I will deliberate and offer my final judgment on this issue at a later date. Thank you, counselor.