Snowy & cold until May .....

Doc1647545523

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1700 lbs with 173 hp? Dat lb/hp ratio.

Looking at the website I'm somewhat amazed that there's a driveshaft connected to a belt drive. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this kinda stuff, is that a common thing? Seems needlessly complicated but as I said, I'm ign'ant.

looks awesome but with some cheapo performance tires... share the sizes when you get a moment i'm curious why they did not put something stickier on it

front: 205/50 R17

rear: 265/35 R18

The Slingshot Forum has many threads about the choice of these tires. Most agree that they are going to go with something stickier when they replace them. Some owners hypothesize that it was a durability decision. Others go back to the idea that the drive belt would be put under greater stress with stickier tires. Some owners have already switched wheels and tires. Mine will prolly stay stock for this year.

It's a natural extension of the Covert Tuning principle: the fewer drive wheels you have, the faster you go.

BTW, I've already beaten all of you guys at the track (hypothetically). Now I'm just waiting on the hexagonal exhaust tip.

They have a hexagonal tip for the penis that shapes it, now, too. I would already have one but don't want the CTD logo pressed in, as well. :nono:

Now, onto more serious matters... Very interesting automotive choice. Looks like a shit ton of fun, though. I don't have the utmost faith in Polaris reliability, but will you care when you're cruising around a good back road? I'd love to feel how that thing handles.

On a sidenote, you've cursed us all to an eternity of winter, now!

You make a good point. It will be interesting to see what comes of these Slingshots with power adders. I'm content to let them sail ahead of me and find out where the shoals are. :)

FWIW - Belts can take a lot more abuse than chains can.

On dad's supercharged harley we are putting down double the hp and torque on a carbon reinforced belt that is narrower than stock.

I also once knew a guy who rode his heritage to the ALCAN Highway and back and picked up a rock in the belt drive teeth. The rock took a chunk out of the teeth of the pulley and left the belt intact.

Don't underestimate the belt. A lot of reasons people think chains outlast belts is because there is a lot of maintenance around a drive chain that keeps it going. When was the last time you had to oil a belt? or adjust the rear axle due to stretch?

but I hear someone say - what about timing chains vs timing belts? Well in those situations the load requirements are different. Belts are not ideal for low load situations at high RPM in a constantly heated environment as compared to a chain. A chain as a drive method will distort the sprockets due to load, as a cam drive it will not because the load is very low. Additionally the chain material is not as temp sensitive as belt material and can run in oil.

Which brings me to my one worry with the slingshot belt - how much weight is it really pushing? I have a feeling this thing will feel like it has enough power as it is, but don't be shy if you feel it needs more because of the belt. If the belt is over stressed it will visibly tell you by chucking teeth before it fails, a chain won't give you that luxury.

Needs three things:

1) Cold air intake

2) white lettering on the tires.

3) Is there a catalytic converter? Def cat-delete and an exhaust.

LS-swap down the road...Mallett did that with the Solstice when it was around, rocking the 2.4L ;) I see someone is trying to sell a 4.8L :D

I just realized that the engine bay is almost a copy out of of a Solstice/Sky. Down to the air cleaner box, hose, valve cover, and throttle body. I wonder if it's the same 5-speed gearbox manufactured by Aisin with the same gearset.

MSRP on mine was 20k. The SL version comes with additional equipment I did not want and that pushes the SL model up to 25k. Iron Pony added no premium (some dealers did) and had very reasonable documentation fees.

Yes, street legal as a motorcycle in most states.

very neat. Interested to see your thoughts after some seat time.

I personally will probably never buy another Polaris product. Its been junk. They have massive quality control issues and their service network is trash. If you do put anything aftermarket on make sure you can easily take it off and go back to stock before servicing.

Even something like a wider tire than stock.

I just realized that the engine bay is almost a copy out of of a Solstice/Sky. Down to the air cleaner box, hose, valve cover, and throttle body. I wonder if it's the same 5-speed gearbox manufactured by Aisin with the same gearset.

I believe it is from what I have read.

very reasonable documentation fees.

I've always thought this was interesting, since OH has some of the lowest doc fees by law in the U.S. It's amazing what other states allow.

In OH max doc fee is $250 or 10% of vehicle's sale price, whichever number is lower. So a $2,500,000 car is $250, a $25,000 car is $250, but a $2,000 car can only be $200. Not only that but you have to charge the same to EVERYONE or it's considered discrimination and you get raped up the butt with fines.

I know people who sell cars/bikes in FL, GA, VA and their doc fees are insane, like $500-700.