Thanks Columbus

unfunnyryan

Anyone have experience with filing claims with the city for damage done by potholes? Hit this big muddafucka just before 2 (or just before 3, I guess) Pulled onto next side street...surprise! A tow truck towing one car, and another abandoned one, flat tires. I got pictures of the pothole as well as 4 hubcaps sitting by it.

Oh, I have to drive back to Athens tomorrow too. Fuck me. Anyone know where I can get this repaired/replaced on a Sunday?

Obligatory picture of carnage

http://i.imgur.com/l7w1nL0l.jpg

From what little I know, it's a huge pain in the ass. Basically, the city has to have had people call and complain about that particular pothole, then the city has a certain amount of days to go out and fix it. If your vehicle is damaged after those days, then you get a chance at a claim. If the city has not been notified of the pothole or the days haven't passed yet for them to fix it, you're pretty much screwed.

Best you can do is call the city and get the appropriate number and what have you, can try to file a claim but I wouldn't hold your breath.

The City of Columbus is responsible for maintaining about 6,000 lane miles of roadway, including residential streets, and portions of major arterials, SR 315, SR 104, and US 33. Interstates I-270, I-70, I-71 and I-670 are maintained by the Ohio Department of Transportation.

To report potholes that are the responsibility of the City of Columbus, contact the 311 Service Center........ To report a pothole on roadways that are maintained by the Ohio Department of Transportation, please call 1-800-372-7714

- See more at: http://columbus.gov/Templates/Detail.aspx?id=27367#sthash.F5yNiqRC.dpuf

However- it looks like ODOT

is who you have to train get it from

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/districts/D06/Pages/Pothole.aspx

http://www.courtnewsohio.gov/happening/2014/potholeDamage_010314.asp#.VPxBvECCPCR

First, drivers must determine if the Ohio Department of Transportation has jurisdiction through its maintenance of the state highway. In some cases, ODOT has contracted with political subdivisions (cities or townships) to maintain interstates within their boundaries, for instance. Those claims should go to that jurisdiction if so.

Next, the driver must prove that ODOT received notice of the existence of a pothole and that ODOT’s failure to repair the pothole in a timely fashion led to the vehicle’s damage.

“It’s basically a tort case,” Borchert said. “ODOT has a duty to the public to maintain the state’s highways. A plaintiff must prove that ODOT breached that duty and the breach caused damage to plaintiff’s vehicle. Plaintiff must also prove that ODOT had actual or constructive notice of the pothole and failed to repair in a reasonable amount of time.”

Those seeking compensation pay a $25 filing fee with their complaint. Within 60 days, ODOT files an investigation report about the claim. The plaintiff has 21 days to reply.[/quite]

That wheel is toast. If it was a steel wheel, it would have a chance for repair. The aluminum will develop crack either during the repair process or later on during usage post-repair. Don't reuse the tire, it likely has internal damage with that much impact.

It's a long and lengthy process but I was able to get compensation for it cuz it was a known pothole. so give them a call and see what you would need to do. Due to do such bad damage an apparent history of other cars having the issue with the sign of other hubcaps i cant imagine you will have a problem. Just have to wait them out.

Thanks for input. City says I have to file a claim with insurance if I want what is probably a small chance of getting anything done (bullshit)

Found a junkyard that supposedly has a rim, will go from there. Can't wait to figure out how TPMS works.

Can't wait to figure out how TPMS works.

It seems that for awhile, every manufacturer wanted to have their own unique procedure for reprogramming these sensors. I would think yours would be straightforward since you can just move the sensor from your broken wheel to your replacement one.

However, if you run into problems, I'm sure the fellows at Wheel Medic will fix you up. They have the only reprogramming tool that would work for what I wanted to do with my FRS and multiple wheel sets with a mix of Toyota and non-Toyota sensors.

It will also be your chance to say farewell to Eman ...... he leaves for Oklahoma next week.