fishing question...

Spidey2721

ORC state law enforcement officer engagement requires disclosure "if you are carrying". It does not address by title, Rangers are LEO. In 2004 DNR had the highest number of drug raids in the state of ohio. Also, many Rangers are also local deputies. Even without that knowledge, what would be a reason to not disclose to one?

Nothing wrong with knowing the law. I'm just wondering why someone would not want to be forthcoming with legally carrying.

There are four situations in the ORC that cover when you do not have to disclose you have CCL to law enforcement. All four state intances when you are not actually carrying.

Definitely inform them up front that you have a license and if you are carrying. If you are not...you still need to tell them. Because they will pull it up and instantly be on guard if you haven't been up front. Ya don't want to spook LEO. Watch North Woods Law and see how cool those rangers are when people are straight with them from the start versus people who are not. Vastly different treatment. Rangers deal mostly with weapons related issues so...it is even more important how you behave with them regarding your firearm and status.

I 100% agree, Harmonda. But, someone will argue, by law you don't have to disclose if you are not carrying. And they are not wrong. But it is not the best way to establish trust in the conversation. Edited by Mojoe

good lord all i asked was do you have to. dont need the fifth degree. when pulled over and not carrying i do inform. again all i was asking was do you have to.

No one is giving you the fith degree. You asked a question and got the info you were looking for. Others have an interest in the situation and the replies. This is just exchange of information. No issues.

good lord all i asked was do you have to. dont need the fifth degree. when pulled over and not carrying i do inform. again all i was asking was do you have to.

Lol butthurt much??

Relax there sally, people were just asking follow up questions. Its called a discussion.

Thanks for the replys as i always wondered this as well.

No you don't. I see no reason why you would say anything if you aren't carrying. It's not part of the law.

Correct, its not part of the law, but its considered good form.

our instructor told us to handle the situation like this.

LEO- Hello do you know why I have stopped you

W/Me- My Name is DamReds- I am a CCW holder, and am/am not carrying my sidearm. (if i have it one me, followup statement) It is located *location*. How would you like me to proceed.

This should make it clear you are a law abiding citizen, willing to cooperate and make the encounter more cordial.

W/Me- My Name is DamReds- I am a CCW holder, and am/am not carrying my sidearm. (if i have it one me, followup statement) It is located *location*. How would you like me to proceed.

This should make it clear you are a law abiding citizen, willing to cooperate and make the encounter more cordial.

You're also a law abiding citizen if you don't say anything and aren't carrying so what's the point. Not my fault if the officer gets all worked up over nothing. If I was a criminal I wouldn't have gotten my CCW and still wouldn't say anything.

This is exactly what I was taught too. I find it interesting the attitudes here. I think it must be a maturity thing. If you go through life only concerned with what "you have to do" versus what is best to do you are going to have a bad time at some point. Oh crap...I've become my dad.

You're also a law abiding citizen if you don't say anything and aren't carrying so what's the point.

True, but you're a law abiding citizen that isn't exactly being completely transparent and it's fair to say that you would not be doing yourself any favors by not being completely open and honest. Just because you aren't required doesn't mean it's the most wise decision. Personally I look to take away any reason for an LEO to give me crap....or feel threatened by me. YMMV.

Not my fault if the officer gets all worked up over nothing.
LEO's put their life on the line every day. It's the nature of their job and hardly what I'd call "nothing." I wouldn't exactly say they are worked up either, I'd call it being prepared and wearing their game face.

If I was a criminal I wouldn't have gotten my CCW and still wouldn't say anything.
Just because you have a Conceal and Carry License doesn't mean you couldn't also be a criminal. Your last statement is exactly why you should say something. Most bad-guys wouldn't announce themselves as carrying thus when you don't say something.....back to your point about LEO's being "worked up" .......that's why. Saying nothing isn't exactly presenting yourself up-front and safe.

No fifth degree here either, just providing my opinion. IMO Trish has the best reply thus far. We both had a good trainer around that though :) Joe...you 'da man.

Edited by TTQ B4U

This is exactly what I was taught too. I find it interesting the attitudes here. I think it must be a maturity thing. If you go through life only concerned with what "you have to do" versus what is best to do you are going to have a bad time at some point. Oh crap...I've become my dad.

^^ guilty of this :lol:

yes this is the right forum. if while fishing and carrying... you get checked for your fishing lic. do you have to inform to the ranger?

Getting asked for you fishing license would fall under official stop. DNR officers are absolutely LEOs. Yes, you would have to inform you are carrying under this circumstance.

Definitely inform them up front that you have a license and if you are carrying. If you are not...you still need to tell them.

If I'm not carrying I will mention it depending on what they are doing. If they are just looking at my fishing license and my catch, I typically won't. If they seem like they will need to run my info I will say in passing "also I do hold a CHL but do not have a weapon on me".