Anyone ever pulled over with Historical Tags?

coltboostin

I have always seen these as some sort of magical getoutajailfree card for old men-heard many stories of burnouts, LOUD exhaust, and general bad behavior forgiven for cars with historical tags. And what may be the best for Cuyahoga county- no E check!! The RX7 is eligible as of this year, so I figured that it was the logical move.

And I read this-

To qualify, motor vehicles must be at least 25 years old. They are solely collector's items and are used for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and similar uses. A historical motor vehicle shall not be used for general transportation, but may be operated on the public roads and highways to and from a location where maintenance is performed on the vehicle. They are NOT for general transportation.

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/sp_historical.stm

I feel like this is a general guideline, but wonder if there is actual enforceable law backing it up. For example, if i get pulled over at 4am on the way back from a long trim to Mexico-can a cop take the car for the car being used "outside of its purpose" if he was a real dick?

The next question, does this put me more ON the radar of the fuzz than OFF the radar?

LMK if anyone has experience with this.

seems like hard to prove you weren't involved in a meet, or a gathering, or going to someone's house to work on your car. I think the police would have to be bored or mad at you for something to pull over for tags.

I can tell you the loud, obnoxious, marginally illegal muscle cars I have owned are generally the least ticketed cars and the cars that I usually get away with the most vehicular misbehavior (now, not that way in the early 90's), and I have never had historical plates. I actually don't think I have ever gotten a ticket in the GTO and I got pulled over in the late 1990's for doing 110mph on a residential street. My buddy drove a 1967 Firebird for years on open headers and never even got so much as a noise ticket.

It's really all about the car and managing expectations. Most LEOs I find are either car guys or at the very least have more compassion for things they find cool. Stereotypes play a lot into also. I don't think the tag will help you in this regard if you are putting it on a 30 year old fox bodied mustang with DOT slicks and a roll bar but if it is on a nice restored original sitting on pizza cutter tires then you are probably going to be ok.

I can tell you from experience with my insurance company that any outside use of the car is usually ok as long as you tell them about it. I see plenty of cars on historical plates in the work parking lot on fridays during the summer so I don't think it is an issue. The issue comes when you go over the mileage restriction and refuse to renew your historical plates.

FWIW, if you are generally being a dick, Law Enforcement doesn't need much of a reason to confiscate your stuff and there is little a historical plate will shield you from regarding that. Google Asset Forfeiture and then prepared to be afraid to own anything in public again.

I've been DD'ing my '82 Ford (and my '82 Chevy) for the last 5 years without a problem...including coming home from 16-Bit one Saturday night at 1:30am :eek:

I was told by people in UA and Columbus police departments that they never pull someone over for a historical plate unless they were doing something else really stupid first. Driving near the speed limit in your lane, obeying traffic laws with historical tags will NOT get you pulled over.

As was mentioned above, "club activities" could be anything, and no police officer is going to follow you to make sure you're going to a group event, nor are they going to ask for minutes from the last Ford F150 Owner's meeting you attended (party of 3).

If I still have my '95 BMW in 2020...I'll be slapping historical tags on it.

I can tell you the loud, obnoxious, marginally illegal muscle cars I have owned are generally the least ticketed cars and the cars that I usually get away with the most vehicular misbehavior (now, not that way in the early 90's), and I have never had historical plates. I actually don't think I have ever gotten a ticket in the GTO and I got pulled over in the late 1990's for doing 110mph on a residential street. My buddy drove a 1967 Firebird for years on open headers and never even got so much as a noise ticket. .

But that a legit muscle car-this is not. Muscle cars as a whole already get a free pass.

That is true...they wont see the tag until they know they want you. If anything at a quick glance it may look like an out of state tag if they are not used to seeing them. Not sure if that is good or bad...I assume bad?

Let me give you this scenario-

I am cruising down the street-lets say 49 in a 35 past a cop who is not running radar-but catches my speed from his active radar going the opposite direction. I am not in it, just in a loud, low Rx7. When the cop looks in his rear view and sees a historical tag, does he say "screw it, its a toy" or pull a Uie like they typically do when they see a loud ricer going down the road?

I talked with a retired hard core cop. Gave his own brother a speeding ticket. He didn't even know there was restrictions. This October my 86 will be getting them. I only drive it about once a week if that.

I talked with a retired hard core cop. Gave his own brother a speeding ticket. He didn't even know there was restrictions.

Did you ask him if he gave any "leadway" for toys with historical tags? Or, if he is just a prick (Im sorry, but busting your brother is a prick move) his opinion may not help or hinder this discussion....

But that a legit muscle car-this is not. Muscle cars as a whole already get a free pass.

Let me give you this scenario-

I am cruising down the street-lets say 49 in a 35 past a cop who is not running radar-but catches my speed from his active radar going the opposite direction. I am not in it, just in a loud, low Rx7. When the cop looks in his rear view and sees a historical tag, does he say "screw it, its a toy" or pull a Uie like they typically do when they see a loud ricer going down the road?

Given the nature of this scenario, when the cop sees your historical tags it's going to be when he is running your plate after he has pulled behind you with your lights flashing. Based on the historical tags you may get off with a warning. Even more so now that I am seeing more and more of these car mounted plate scanners so the officer isn't look at the plate itself but the screen.

A historical plate probably does not over-rule what I like to call "the douchebag factors". They are:

- Tint

- lowered

- car looks claptrap (i.e panels are mis-aligned or different colors)

- loud

- obnoxious modifications: e.g 20 inch chrome spinning rims with 0 sidewall. not just big rims, but 13" 100 spoke dayton wires probably qualify too.

- giant wing

- body skirts

- very loud colors

- colored lights

- Wheelie bar

- parachute

- non DOT slicks

- Bright yellow traction bars (or any bright color)

- under car lights

- Plate covers

- no visible front plate

- flamethrowers

Basically, ask your non-car friends "does this car give off the vibe that I am doing something illegal?" and see what they say.

This doesn't mean you can't get away with two or three of the things.

Surprisingly enough the wife's audi has three of the things (tint, lowered, and mildly loud exhaust) but she doesn't get hassled as much as I would expect her to. Part of that is a) because the car is well put together, and b) she is usually driving in areas where the car isn't out of place. In Brooklyn she got pulled over once a month just because in the context of that neighborhood it stood out as being slightly too nice (we never got pulled over in the E30 in that 'hood even though it was lowered and loud because it looked like a piece of shit, but on the Gold Coast of Long Island I got stopped plenty).

If you are looking for a reason to justify historical plates, approach it from the cost savings (if any) and the insurance requirements (historical vehicles often have better coverage than daily drivers for a cheaper policy cost). If you don't want to be pulled over, don't give them a reason to.

I have 6 cars with historical tags, and I have been ticketed , only because I decided to check the frictional coefficient of the fresh asphalt. Problem was that the cop was hidden behind the truck that was behind me, and I don't think he appreciated my science experiment. Really no talking my way out of the exhibition or event clause in the Orc law.

One important thing to consider, since I assume that you are looking at these plates from a money saving standpoint , you may opt for collectors car insurance( which is also less expensive) I can only guess that if you get into an accident not abiding by the insurance companies' rules ( driving to work, eat etc) you may get denied coverage if you have an incident.

It's Ohio, worst place on earth when it comes to moving violations. Either way if you're speeding the type of plate isn't going to matter.

I'm glad I moved away from that ticket happy shit hole. I drove my Esprit for months with zero plate on it, was never hassled. Grabbing lunch in it once, a cop pulled up next to it telling me his z06 would smoke it ha ha. Earlier this week a cop pulled up to my house to inform me my license plate doesn't match my Abarth, explained they have plate readers and he just has to sit back and do nothing, just wanted to make sure I was the owner of the car and was on his way.

Im no cop but a moving violation is a moving violation and i doubt historical plates are going to change an officers mind on that (your scenario).

That aside, i doubt anyone would say shit if you're just driving it. Aren't there mileage limits?

We have historical tags on my fathers Road Runner but run year dated 1968 Ohio plates. But the cars only registered to the historical tags which have never been on the car, just sitting under the font seat. It's been like that for ten years, never have been pulled. But you're right Muscle Cars seem to get a free pass, there have been times where I wondered why I didn't get pulled over in it.

We have historical tags on my fathers Road Runner but run year dated 1968 Ohio plates. But the cars only registered to the historical tags which have never been on the car, just sitting under the font seat. It's been like that for ten years, never have been pulled. But you're right Muscle Cars seem to get a free pass, there have been times where I wondered why I didn't get pulled over in it.

I just have regular tags on my '69 Dart (up to date and legal), but have 1969 plates over top of them, never been bothered. You're supposed to have historical tags with the specific year plates, but each time I've renewed I forgot to switch. I mostly just drive it around town in nice weather and most of the local cops know me and know I'm a good guy, so I guess if I get pulled over for something minor, I'll just play dumb and hope they're ok with my up to date regular plates. If I get pulled over for something not stupid, it's my own dumbass fault.

I just have regular tags on my '69 Dart (up to date and legal), but have 1969 plates over top of them, never been bothered. You're supposed to have historical tags with the specific year plates, but each time I've renewed I forgot to switch. I mostly just drive it around town in nice weather and most of the local cops know me and know I'm a good guy, so I guess if I get pulled over for something minor, I'll just play dumb and hope they're ok with my up to date regular plates. If I get pulled over for something not stupid, it's my own dumbass fault.
4549.08 Fictitious license plates or identification number or mark.

(A) No person shall operate or drive a motor vehicle upon the public roads and highways in this state if it displays a license plate or a distinctive number or identification mark that meets any of the following criteria:

(1) Is fictitious;

(2) Is a counterfeit or an unlawfully made copy of any distinctive number or identification mark;

(3) Belongs to another motor vehicle, provided that this section does not apply to a motor vehicle that is operated on the public roads and highways in this state when the motor vehicle displays license plates that originally were issued for a motor vehicle that previously was owned by the same person who owns the motor vehicle that is operated on the public roads and highways in this state, during the thirty-day period described in division (A)(4) of section 4503.12 of the Revised Code.

(B) A person who fails to comply with the transfer of registration provisions of section 4503.12 of the Revised Code and is charged with a violation of that section shall not be charged with a violation of this section.

© Whoever violates division (A)(1), (2), or (3) of this section is guilty of operating a motor vehicle bearing an invalid license plate or identification mark, a misdemeanor of the fourth degree on a first offense and a misdemeanor of the third degree on each subsequent offense.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004

My dad has maybe 12 cars I would guess with historical tags and you get pulled over in Westerville for farting too loud. I dont drive them a lot but my family does put miles on all of them throughout the warmer months. Ive never had anyone harass us, get pulled over or questioned about use.

One of the guys that works for my dad has an older benz with historical tags, daily driven and never had any issues. I would get them if I could

The law leaves some loop holes as to required equipment, and specifically, equipment that is a violation today that wasn't in violation the year prior to the vehicle being manufactured, window tint is a good example.... if the car is a 79' model, window tint laws didn't exist, hence, you can put 5% on every piece of glass as long as it's tagged with historical or collector vehicle plates.

Historical plates will give you the opportunity to run plates of the same year as your car, but the license # of those needs to be on file with the DMV.

Are you less likely to get a ticket with them, it would depend, if I worked a specific shift, and saw your car every day at the same time, I could time line the events, make a stop, confiscate the plates and impound the car, but someone would have to be a huge dick, or bag of them, to get themselves in that position. Keep in mind, there are guys that devote their whole shift to writing tickets, as many as they can, you don't want to become their newest hobby, just don't do stupid shit, and all should be well.