employment options

The_buster

I work at sears currently, will be 2 years in September, another job opportunity came up working at John Hinderer Honda. Pay is $10/hr, only a dollar difference, but they have other incentives: company supplied tool box, and valvoline points. From what I hear the points are money paid to you for up selling things like fuel system cleans and other things supplied by valvoline. My thought is that we're looking at moving out of state next fall, at the earliest, and while it is dealership experience I don't want to be the guy that works for a year and then leaves and they need to fill in the spot. Also with sears I can transfer to another store and not have the issue of finding a job. Thoughts?

I work at sears currently, will be 2 years in September, another job opportunity came up working at John Hinderer Honda. Pay is $10/hr, only a dollar difference, but they have other incentives: company supplied tool box, and valvoline points. From what I hear the points are money paid to you for up selling things like fuel system cleans and other things supplied by valvoline. My thought is that we're looking at moving out of state next fall, at the earliest, and while it is dealership experience I don't want to be the guy that works for a year and then leaves and they need to fill in the spot. Also with sears I can transfer to another store and not have the issue of finding a job. Thoughts?

Sears will be out of business within the next 2 years or less, take the dealership job and get that "dealership experience" now.

They've been shutting down stores around here. Our business is down alot. I have learned a lot here. It's fun but I don't see me moving up. They keep telling me they have to wait for the training guy. Also if they mover me up they want to move up the other tech 1. Which puts 6 of us fighting over commission jobs.

You will get the experience you need, meet the people you need, and be in the place you need at a dealership.

You will not get that anywhere else other than an independent shop, and you don't have a lead there.

Make the move. If you prove yourself to be valuable, ask for a raise.

You'd be stupid not to get your foot in the door at a dealership. $10/hr is not the best but a raise is a raise. Any training within a specific manufacturer is worth something. Then any Honda dealer will more than likely favor you over another candidate, even if they have a little more experience. Who gives a shit if you leave in a year. I switched jobs 4 times in a year between 3 different shops. It's the life of a tech early on. Ask Cordell or anyone else who has been a tech a decade or more how many shops they've been at, I'd bet most are above 5. A dealership is a lot better environment to work at than in a retail setting IMO. Less bullshit, more money, you get to work a little more at your pace and you'll learn a lot. You'll lose your ass on a lot of jobs but the experience that comes with it is well worth the price of admission into the "Only turned 3 hours today because I misdiagnosed a simple issue" club.

Hopefully you don't join the "I sold a CVT instead of a wheel bearing club" though. (No this wasn't me)

get the dealership job. get the dealership experience. i know you say you plan on moving out of state in a year, but life has a way of being unpredictable. you may find yourself staying here longer. drop sears like an aids-infested dumpster fire