Cheap Spring/Shock combo?

zeitgeist57

As the Ruler of CR Cheap-Arses, I have been very happy with my recently-acquired 2004 Cavalier. Since picking it up and "road testing" to get kinks out, It's been a perfect around-town runner, and I'm looking forward to driving it down to FL where it will live out the remainder of its days at our condo, replacing my well-worn Passat.

I have to drop this thing...the ride height is driving me nuts. It's a good looking car so I do think it's a worthy candidate.

Save for my CTS-V, all my cars are/have been lowered. My Passat had only two sets of struts in its life (Eibach springs @ around 20k miles on OEM struts, replaced with Bilsteins at around 100k miles) and ran very well but was pricey for what I needed out of it. I bought my BMW with Koni/H&R combo so I didn't buy it but I love the look and handling...plus I drive the p!ss out of it. My '82 Ford tee-ruk has cut springs in the front and the rough ride is...ahem...less than ideal :lol: but it's a beater tee-ruk so I'm happy with it. I will NOT be cutting springs on the Cavalier.

Curious what people have done to their DD's for a cheap way to lower the car 1-2". The Cavvy has 105k miles on it and Firestone said the front struts could use replacing anyway. This car will be in FL, so smooth roads, warm weather and limited use (less than 1200 miles a year on 75% city streets 25% highway) will be in its future.

I've been thinking about KYB's in the front with some cheap springs all around. Let me know your thoughts on product combos and pricing that you were pleased with in your own life. Thanks!

Oddly enough, the H&R springs are only listed through '03...not the '04-'05 Cavaliers.

I'd also like to NOT have to pay $250+ for springs. the most up-and-down movement this thing is going to see (:masturboy:) is entering/exiting parking lots. There's no elevation changes in South Florida, and certainly not any curves that are worth driving aggressively for.

Been looking at Tein S for $154 a set: http://autoplicity.com/2687082-tein-springs-stech?utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=CSE&utm_content=Chevrolet-Cavalier-2687082GSMakeModelFitment&utm_campaign=GSMakeModelFitment&gclid=CLq_z9OmpsYCFQmUaQodT1UAlQ

From the eBay cheapness, there's always Dropzone: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-2004-CHEVROLET-CAVALIER-LOWER-SPRINGS-LOWERS-2-FRONT-2-BACK-DROP-ZONE-/131276707155?hash=item1e90b39553&vxp=mtr

From the Struts, I could get SenSen's for durty cheap, though reviews are bad. KYB's are $50 each on RockAuto for the front...that's reasonable in my book.

I have said it before and i'll say it again - why are you trying to put money into lowering a summer beater you are going to drive 3 weeks out of every year?

couple of things - if you drop it you then need to do an alignment. Also I would consider a suspension limiter of some sort (e.g. a limiting strap or limiting chain) so if you do unload the car's weight (like over the crest of a hill) that the springs don't pop out of their perches. more of an issue for the rear than the front.

This thread is delivering!

KYB's are always a good choice, but my experience is that they won't be significantly stiffer than OEM.

For what you are doing, drop springs are drop springs.

Sway bars would be "neat" in a Clay owning a Cavalier sort of way. They are $255 for the set on shox.com.

Don't cut the damn springs lol.

Buy whatever cheap ass ebay shit you can find, a lowered cavalier isn't going to ride very good no matter what you put on it. I'm not a huge fan of cutting or torching, but since it wouldn't cost me anything but time, I'd try it with plans to buy some parts if it didn't work out well.

I lowered my Corolla (yeah) with Tein S-Techs on stock shocks, and my Mazda5 is pushing 50k miles lowered on H&R sports with stock shocks (and recently did a day at Mid-Ohio). And that's a car that people claim the rear shocks blow every 30k miles at stock ride height.

If the Teins really are that cheap then I'd say you can't go wrong. And if you really want to replace the struts, meh, Monroe makes a fine strut I'm sure.

eta: Just budget for an alignment like others have said.

I'm a big advocate for "taking pride in your ride", which is what I'm doing...just a little bit of personalization here. It's not going to be a DD, just a vacation car in addition to the Jaguar. That being said...

Doing my searches for some CHEAP options makes my eyes tear up; these kids and poverty potatoes putting $10k into body kits and stereos on their Cavaliers is the dumbest idea in automotive customization. There's a reason the "sport compact" scene struggles today...

Understand my rationale: Passat is dying in FL already. We have a family reunion at a remote lake in GA (Lake Rabun), then my family needs to get to FL. If we do a one-way car rental, we're out $500+ and still dealing with Passat once we get there (broken flexpipe, slipping clutch). If we fly to ATL, we still need to rent a car to drive 2 hrs to Lake Rabun, then get back to ATL to fly to Naples...that's a lot of one-way tickets + rental car for 3 days for 4 people right there.

YES, it's a Cavalier, but it's way better than my Passat and I'm saving the cost of tickets/rental cars in buying it and driving it down...plus, I'll get at least $500 from CarMax for the Passat! The maths make sense. :)

EDIT: tl;dr? I'm going for THIS...

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b72/bLk99cAv/P1030866.jpg

NOT this :lol::

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8K4nhhNgCNHUWdfc0AmXYG-Gz8_0TW0fYsVyEle8snXiv-ZEhpw

Edited by zeitgeist57

I lowered my Corolla (yeah) with Tein S-Techs on stock shocks, and my Mazda5 is pushing 50k miles lowered on H&R sports with stock shocks (and recently did a day at Mid-Ohio). And that's a car that people claim the rear shocks blow every 30k miles at stock ride height.

If the Teins really are that cheap then I'd say you can't go wrong. And if you really want to replace the struts, meh, Monroe makes a fine strut I'm sure.

eta: Just budget for an alignment like others have said.

Did you notice any difference in ride harshness with the Teins on stock struts? I had my Maxima and Passat lowered for a long time on stock shocks/struts and never had blowouts or adverse ride quality.

I may not even go this route...just looking for some perspective. Thank you!

The Teins made small bumps slightly worse, but weren't so much stiffer that they overwhelmed the stock shocks for bigger bumps. Put it this way -- I noticed it but never really cared, my wife didn't notice it until I pointed out like a year later that I had lowered it. For the money (I think I paid $100 for them used) I was pleased.

FWIW I have H&Rs on the Death Star Audi (my wife has started calling it that because it looks like vader's helmet - go figure). you are more than welcome to drive that car anytime I can steal it away from her. just so you know - it's over a 2" drop (I think H&R referred to these as "super low" springs).

here is the down side to driving a lowered car long distance - you are going to hit/high center on more than one thing, esp when you don't know the terrain. A blown semi tire has a greater chance of ruining your day as well. I say lower it once you get to FL.

Nobody is saying you shouldn't take pride in your ride...but isn't this going to be the town bicycle of sorts?