Where to buy: Helper springs for 2011 Pilot?

noobiemcnooberson.

Looking to purchase a set of helper springs, preferably air bags for my 2011 Honda Pilot when I tow. I see firestone has a set that goes from 2005-2010 but says it's only for FWD. I don't need anything fancy with a compressor just good quality airbags and some hose to inflate. Thanks in advance!

I know its a different model year, and there has been lots of changes, but i think it might still work for AWD. Speaking of, aren't all pilots AWD? i have never seen just a FWD model.

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/98-towing/38274-diy-08-pilot-honda-pilot-firestone-coil-rite-air-bag-helper-springs.html

also check this out: https://www.etrailer.com/susp-2011_Honda_Pilot.htm

I know its a different model year, and there has been lots of changes, but i think it might still work for AWD. Speaking of, aren't all pilots AWD? i have never seen just a FWD model.

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/98-towing/38274-diy-08-pilot-honda-pilot-firestone-coil-rite-air-bag-helper-springs.html

also check this out: https://www.etrailer.com/susp-2011_Honda_Pilot.htm

nope, there is a FWD only model, its pretty base to make it more affordable

It should tow up to 4500#s that's loaded correctly fine. If you are doing more than that, it's your own funeral. At least I hope you only take yourself out. So many parts of that car aren't up to towing more than that. There is a reason it's only rated to two 4500#s. You are only going to affect the 'chassis' component of the equation with what you are talking about so far. There is no amount of extra crap you can put on that will make it OK with that engine and brakes (other than more power and brakes).

If you are at or under that rating and are having issues, you probably have a bad tongue weight (incorrect trailer loading).

Have you towed with that load yet? I don't think you will find stability to be an issue at all. If you're getting decent help from the trailer brakes, braking shouldn't be an issue. Power is probably fine too, as long as you aren't trying to do 90mph. 3.5k#s behind that power train is easy, 4.5k#s is starting to feel heavy. Air bags wouldn't hurt but to me seem excessive when you are under the tow capacity. I don't have experience with weight distributing hitches, but this seems like a better 'bang for your buck' if they work the way they claim. Better weight distribution and has the added affect of reducing trailer sway. Also seems significantly easier to install. I would think both would be overkill. If the load is where you say it is (3.9k#s), and you aren't also loading the car up, you should be fine. I'm sure either of those would help, but I wouldn't say either are 'needed'.

I've done a lot of towing with Pilots in that weight range.

I would consider a transmission cooler if your car didn't come with one.

Anybody ever used a weight distributing hitch setup? I know a couple people that use them on bigger trailers and campers but the are also using straight axle trucks. Yes I know a real truck would be better for towing but this was a compromise and I have to make the best of it.

I have a hitch setup that has load bars and a sway bar. They work great when pulling a full trailer of firewood.

Easier to put them on before loading, but if you forget, when you set the load bars you can watch the back of the truck raise up.

Don't forget to remove the sway bar when backing up.

Maybe some Coil Rite bags?

Install how to - ( http://www.piloteers.org/forums/98-towing/38274-diy-08-pilot-honda-pilot-firestone-coil-rite-air-bag-helper-springs.html )

Might want to contact firestone to see if the model for 2005-2010 will fit or if they have a new model.

I helped a friend install them on his car. They aren't helper bags, but he said it was much better with the coil rites.

Anybody ever used a weight distributing hitch setup? I know a couple people that use them on bigger trailers and campers but the are also using straight axle trucks. Yes I know a real truck would be better for towing but this was a compromise and I have to make the best of it.

I have a NIB weight distribution system, bought it to use on my F150 to tow my car/trailer, then I decided it was easier for me to buy a F350 to tow said car....

Hence, I have a new WD system, I can make you a smoking deal if you want to go that way. I would seriously consider some type of WDS to tow with that vehicle.