Pop goes the BRZ.

Draco-REX

Went to the Corvette Troy AutoX at Kil-Kare today. Very small turn-out, but it was a lot of fun. I really like the result of the suspension tweaks I've been doing.

So, 60 miles to the event. 14 40+second runs. 58 miles home, and as I'm pulling up to a stop light, the engine shuts off and smoke comes from under the hood. No warning, no CEL, no oil light, no overheating, no catastrophic sounds, just a loud ticking. Pop the hood and there's oil under the passenger side of the engine (no external oil lines there either, so I can't wait to see where it came from.)

More than likely the engine is toast. Now to figure out what to do with it.

So that was my day. :mad: How was yours?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to the Corvette Troy AutoX at Kil-Kare today. Very small turn-out, but it was a lot of fun. I really like the result of the suspension tweaks I've been doing.

So, 60 miles to the event. 14 40+second runs. 58 miles home, and as I'm pulling up to a stop light, the engine shuts off and smoke comes from under the hood. No warning, no CEL, no oil light, no overheating, no catastrophic sounds, just a loud ticking. Pop the hood and there's oil under the passenger side of the engine (no external oil lines there either, so I can't wait to see where it came from.)

More than likely the engine is toast. Now to figure out what to do with it.

So that was my day. :mad: How was yours?

Nathan has one word for you and it starts with "S" and ends with "upercharger".

:gabe:

Ouch, bummer man. How many miles were on it?

Swap in something bigger/better

Vorshlag is working on a LS swap kit. But I really like how the car behaves with the motor and supercharger. And I don't think what I would get for the S/C kit + the cost of repairs would be enough to cover the kit+engine.

How unfortunate, I'm very sorry to hear that. Did you manage to show those pesky Corvettes what a BRZ is made of? Keep us updated with its resurrection.

The only cars faster were a C4 and C5Z, both had slicks and were trailered to the event.

Nathan has one word for you and it starts with "S" and ends with "upercharger".

:gabe:

That's why it blew in the first place. :gabe:

Sucks man. :(

I knew this was a possibility. Adding FI to an engine with 12.5:1 compression has a very real level of risk. A lot of people have put TONS of miles on their cars with FI and been perfectly reliable. Guess I'm no longer in that group.

I always could fix it, go back to N/A, sell the S/C kit and car and use that as a down payment on a M4....

But I know I'd regret selling it.

Call ZB at SigmaTec. That sucks man, with Subaru in the bottom 3 of quality on JD Power now, can't say I'm surprised. My stock STI at 51k blew a head gasket and needed a valve job. They are not reliable anymore in stock form, let alone modded with bolt ons. Motors need to be built these days. I really missed my 05, it was rock solid with a Protune.

14 runs is pretty awesome, I've never gotten that many at KK! I wonder if the constant right-hand turning starved you of oil and caused an issue? Dem sticky tires cause all kinds of issues :gabe:

Very sorry hope it turns out to be something simple and cheap.