ford 9 inch drag racing question

ecc_33

At what point horse power or E.T. wise do you need a ford 9 inch that's braced on the back and all the fixin's? I found this rearend but not sure at what level I'll need it braced. Q.P.ford 9" for G-body.35 spline Moser axles,5 x 4 3/4 bolt pattern.Drum brakes.Dewco nodular center section,speed-motive 4.30 gears,HD drag spool,timken bearings and seals,billet pinion yoke with 1350 u-joints,Daytona aluminum pinion support.Also have new in box Eaton Detroit locker#71592 as I didn't want to run spool on street,rear. Also comes with Slimbo alum.outer axle seal inserts and new in box Timken seals,UMI LCA relocation bracket kit,Iceman adj.UCA with UMI poly bushings. He's asking 1800 for the rearend. Im sure its worth that. Says its got 200 miles on it.

I just need to know at what point you need the housing gusset's inside the housing and the back of the housing back braced. I would like to be close to 850 rwhp when the engine goes back in and am not sure if this rearend is enough for the car.

I guess it depends on what you do. As long as the bracing goes to the end of the axle, then you're good. Bracing just over the rear housing does nothing on a 9".

I didn't ask how to back brace a ford 9". I asked at what HP level you need to have a ford 9" housing with back bracing and gussets. The housing in queston is a QP ford 9" housing as in the first post.

http://www.quickperformance.com/QP-GM-1978-1987-G-Body-9-Inch-Housing-Axle-Package_p_63.html

I didn't ask how to back brace a ford 9". I asked at what HP level you need to have a ford 9" housing with back bracing and gussets. The housing in queston is a QP ford 9" housing as in the first post.

http://www.quickperformance.com/QP-GM-1978-1987-G-Body-9-Inch-Housing-Axle-Package_p_63.html

Oh, ok sorry. Didn't realize you knew what you were getting into. Considering a axle tube bracing is an "upgrade" in this rear option you are choosing from. In that case, if you break it, you know it wasn't enough. Sorry for trying to help. Seems you got it figured out.

Wasn't trying to be a dick. I do appreciate your help. It just seems like I can get a really good deal on this rearend but don't want to spend the cash on something that isn't going to hold up. I def don't have it figured out. I don't know much about the strength of a ford 9". I am hoping for 800 rwhp after I turbo the car. Just don't want to spend money twice in the same area if ya know what I mean.

Thanks. I just didn't know at what point the axle tube itself flexed enough to fck up the ring and pinion. I know hard launches and big hp is hard on stuff and just don't want to waste money twice. Thanks again, Eric.

I would get it with the bracing. Some people get lucky and get away without it. It would more than likely twist the whole rear, especially on higher rpm launches. It's just peace of mind knowing you have good parts and one less thing to worry about.

I twisted the 35 spline axles in my Strange S60 with a spool in May this year. I am about 850 HP at the crank. The car is 3500 lbs with me in it. When I was running the Mopar 83/4 rear end it was braced and a Auburn limited slip I didn't any issues with the smaller motor. It all depends on how you use the car.