1999 grand am fan running

wnaplay1647545503

Come outside and heard the fan on my son's 99 grand am running. Car has been off for hours. Disconnected battery and reconnected, still running. Car has been sitting a very long time and was recently acquired from a relative. Just installed a new battery. I power washed the car this morning and I don't know if water somehow is the culprit. Previous owner has had issues with these fans before but I believe they weren't running when they should have been. What tells the fan to kick on and why would it be running when cool, what's the fix?

It's likely shorted to power somewhere, the temp switch can make it run after the car is shut off but the PCM should limit the time it does run so I doubt it's an ECT switch. If you pull out the relay does it stop? Depending on what that does you'll know which part of the circuit to look at. Could be the PCM shorted causing the relay to always be on, could be alot of things. Need to narrow it down.

Pulling the relay did make it stop but started right back up when plugged in. It's not doing it now so hopefully it dried out. Now the next issue. Someone who shall remain nameless on this board " fixed " another fan issue years ago. The thing wants to overheat. IIrc he replaced a fan but that never fixed the issue. The fan on the passenger side seems to work normally. The drivers side fan works when power is put to it but doesn't seem to work on its own. I am thinking of switching the temp sensor to see if this resolves anything, thoughts?

Still haven't figured out why the fan wont kick on by itself, don't know where to start. I have done plugs, wires, air fikter, pcv valve, cleaned maf, new camshaft position sensor and this thing is still surging at idle and sputtering at take off sometimes. Don't know what to check next.