Ford Focus RS pricing leaked

caseyctsv

Starts $4k more than a GT Mustang base, options match a Premium GT......

I have to say it should be a hell of a car though but if you option it fully your in Mustang GT premium territory and it will only be about $7k - $8k less than what a GT350 will start at, I'd just pay the difference and get a GT350.

I think I'll have to agree with you.

I can't believe we live in an age when a Focus costs 40 large.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

agree with jason. a new GT can be had for less. As for options, a base model has too many options already IMO, i would like A/C and cruise control. Everything else is dead weight to me.

I think a lot of you guys are missing the point of the RS when comparing it to a Mustang GT350. This is an all-purpose daily driver that can be used at the track on the weekend and then take the owner to work on Monday. Plus, you'll have your AWD to contend with the snow that will be coming in a few months. It's going to be the commuter that hauls ass, like an STI or a Golf R. I doubt you'll see many GT350s, or even GTs for that matter, sitting in rush hour on 270 when it's snowing.

I think a lot of you guys are missing the point of the RS when comparing it to a Mustang GT350. This is an all-purpose daily driver that can be used at the track on the weekend and then take the owner to work on Monday. Plus, you'll have your AWD to contend with the snow that will be coming in a few months. It's going to be the commuter that hauls ass, like an STI or a Golf R. I doubt you'll see many GT350s, or even GTs for that matter, sitting in rush hour on 270 when it's snowing.

I had snow tires on my GT for the winter and got around fine, drove it like any other car. Granted that probably won't happen with a GT350, but looking at it from a performance perspective(Which is the point of this car really) and I would still just go after a GT350, just my preference.

Considering this is 12k cheaper than a gt350, and all of the things mentioned by fiji, it's laughable that the 2 are being compared.

The comparison vs the gt is valid, as it's the same price point ,roughly. Still, I bet very few will cross shop the 2, even sitting side by side. If you want a hot hatch with awd, muscle cars won't be on your list.

I'll likely be getting a GT350, and yeah, you'll see it in the snow in rush hour traffic. Just like my CTS-V. Just like my 03 SVT Cobra.

I drive my cars.

I already have snows for my scat pack and I think the price of this is absolutely LOL when you really start looking at what's out there for that price.

Ford missed the boat on this one. This was a great opportunity to solidify their spot in the awd hatch market. Launch the car with awd, 6speed only, etc etc. base price $32k. Optioned up to $36-37k max. Keep it this way for two years---you'll get plenty of buyers, but even more who want them yet are waiting for 2-4 year old versions, or are just waiting to make sure the car is legit.

Then bump the power 20-30hp, add a twin clutch auto, better suspension package, and bump the price $4-5k. Now everyone who was thinking about buying the car HAS to have it, and you can sell them all day long optioned into the $40's.

I doubt you'll see many GT350s, or even GTs for that matter, sitting in rush hour on 270 when it's snowing.

I've done it, and thousands do every winter.

RS is a $30-$32k car. Ford really missed an opportunity.

(Probably when they don't sell for $36k+, incentives will get it down to that price)

Maybe then I'll bite. If i haven't blown my car funds on a diesel by then.

Then bump the power 20-30hp, add a twin clutch auto, better suspension package, and bump the price $4-5k. Now everyone who was thinking about buying the car HAS to have it, and you can sell them all day long optioned into the $40's.

I'll disagree here, I hope its manual only all the time. If not, it'll be the EVO MR, which is outrageously expensive, and because of that, sit on dealer lots even with huge markups.

Local dealers still have 2 2014 MRs that they can't give away.

I'll disagree here, I hope its manual only all the time. If not, it'll be the EVO MR, which is outrageously expensive, and because of that, sit on dealer lots even with huge markups. Local dealers still have 2 2014 MRs that they can't give away.

I think the dual-clutch transmission is a great option. IMO the MR is a great car, but overpriced for todays market. 8 years ago, it was a different story. Today for that money there are better choices available. IMO they need more power, more sound deadening and nicer interior materials once you cross into that price range.

I think the dual-clutch transmission is a great option. IMO the MR is a great car, but overpriced for todays market. 8 years ago, it was a different story. Today for that money there are better choices available. IMO they need more power, more sound deadening and nicer interior materials once you cross into that price range.

Thats my point. I see the Focus RS, in the situation described above, as a similar type of car.

Thats my point. I see the Focus RS, in the situation described above, as a similar type of car.

I've not seen one in person. My gut tells me it will have a nicer interior though. Ford has stepped up in materials and design inside. Even the lessor focus models are pretty darn nice utilitarian daily drivers. Power and performance wise I think the RS will be a step or two up from the Evo's too.

The main downside for me is that it's still a Ford.

I really really enjoyed the Fusion Sport right up until about 40k when it started to have a few major issues. Tranny, Power Steering, Camshaft Phasers, etc. The interior looked amazing and brand new even at 70k miles though.

In the end I LOL at any $40k Ford or main-stream GM. Buy 'em lightly used as they plummet in value.

Considering this is 12k cheaper than a gt350, and all of the things mentioned by fiji, it's laughable that the 2 are being compared.

The comparison vs the gt is valid, as it's the same price point ,roughly. Still, I bet very few will cross shop the 2, even sitting side by side. If you want a hot hatch with awd, muscle cars won't be on your list.

This guy gets it. The Focus RS was not built to compete directly with the Mustang. Ford is not that stupid.

4 door hatch vs. 2 door w/ a "backseat". 99% of the time the people looking at one will not be looking at the other.

I've done it, and thousands do every winter.

I know there's people who use their Mustangs year round. We've got a customer who's got all-seasons on her 14 GT500 and she drives around all the time during the winter. More power to them. I just don't see the point of taking a limited edition car like a GT350, Hellcat, Z28, etc. or even a regular GT/SRT/SS, and running in the snow and salt. Hell, I hate doing that in my ST.

I've not seen one in person. My gut tells me it will have a nicer interior though. Ford has stepped up in materials and design inside. Even the lessor focus models are pretty darn nice utilitarian daily drivers. Power and performance wise I think the RS will be a step or two up from the Evo's too.

The main downside for me is that it's still a Ford.

I really really enjoyed the Fusion Sport right up until about 40k when it started to have a few major issues. Tranny, Power Steering, Camshaft Phasers, etc. The interior looked amazing and brand new even at 70k miles though.

In the end I LOL at any $40k Ford or main-stream GM. Buy 'em lightly used as they plummet in value.

Every Ford and Chevy I have owned started having some kind of issue in the 40,000mi range, give or take a couple thousand depending which vehicle we are talking about. If you are spending $40K on a new Ford, spend the extra cash and get the best extended warranty you can. (That's what i'll be doing when I get a new vehicle.)

I know there's people who use their Mustangs year round. We've got a customer who's got all-seasons on her 14 GT500 and she drives around all the time during the winter. More power to them. I just don't see the point of taking a limited edition car like a GT350, Hellcat, Z28, etc. or even a regular GT/SRT/SS, and running in the snow and salt. Hell, I hate doing that in my ST.

Just a car.

Anyone heard of the lifetime powertrain warranty Ricart is offering on some models? I guess it's non-transferable, but still sounds like a good deal if you want a ecoboost f150 for the next 20 years.

Probably won't be offered on the RS though

wow sounds like you two had lemons or terrible luck.

I've owned Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Honda, Toyota, Saab, Mitsu, Chevy, Cadillac and Ford and the Fords (plural) have been, by far, the most reliable and cheapest to maintain. With the Cadillac coming in second.

Am still on the Caddy atm, but switching over to Ford next. Either the RS or the GT350. Whichever it is it will get driven DD year round.

Extended warranties are usually loss leaders, and I don't buy them.

----

Back to the topic, if this pricepoint puts it in line with the VW et al, then I think its not too out of line since I consider the quality on par with them, and the performance sufficiently superior to them (at least on paper). But I obviously would prefer a lower $30K entry. I option the bejeezus out of my vehicles though anyway so I never mind highly packaged entry points.

Agree nobody cross shops Mustangs and Focuses... except me. I'll buy the one I think fits us best after I can sit in both. No pre-order and ADM shenanigans for me.

Only a potato would take their 40k Focus out for snowy/icy winter traffic in Columbus.

Also, At what power level does the AWD system become equally sketchy in snow? Yah yah yah, AWD is the king dick of snow driving. If you don't drive responsibly, it will just be that much more dangerous. Just sayin, when all 4 wheels are spinning, you change lanes that much quicker.