Indy Car Driver In Coma

wagner

I was watching this yesterday. Crazy.

The controversy is the leader, Sage Karam, is a very young rookie that was in the lead and spun out of control without getting hit by anyone and the debris from his car hit Wilson.

Pocono is a fast track and several other veterans spun out on their own as well.

I was watching this yesterday. Crazy.

The controversy is the leader, Sage Karam, is a very young rookie that was in the lead and spun out of control without getting hit by anyone and the debris from his car hit Wilson.

Pocono is a fast track and several other veterans spun out on their own as well.

This has been a tough year for IRL between this and the aero package debacle at IMS.

Here's to hoping Justin Wilson pulls through.. It's not looking good at all...

The live shot I saw showed his head slumping right after the initial impact on the wall (well after the 17kg nosecone hit his head and bounced off his head full about 100 yards straight up) until he finally came to a stop.... He was KOd right when that cone hit his helmet.

Some guy told me he saw a shot of his helmet and how bad of a shape it was in... I haven't seen it, but I surmise it's much worse than Felipe Massa when a small suspension spring hit his helmet at 140mph in 2009 in Hungary... and that spring is under 5% of the weight of the nosecone that hit Wilson, and at a much slower speed (215mph compared to 140mph)

http://richardsf1.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/AnoutcomeofbeinghitbystraydebrisasMassashelmetshowsinHungary2009.png

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01450/fi-spring_1450638c.jpg

my friends at HPD, just a few weeks ago in town for Mid Ohio, were telling me just how great he was for developping cars in testing. So invaluable for Honda since Pagenaud left for Chevy....

Not many racers are great at feedback for engineers... He, Dixon, and Pagenaud were the best at it in the current pack

Damn son, can we get some fighter cockpits on these things already? That thing just shrugged the tire off like it wasn't shit.

I've been wondering this for a long time; since an indy car death when I was younger. They're aerodynamic, VERY strong, and the development has already been done on them.

RIP JW. It seems to hit in a different way after watching the crash live.

I saw something that said Tony Stewart lent his plane to Justins family so they could get over to the hospital asap.

Yeah Indycar was able to fly his wife and daughters out but TS arranged his jet to get JW's brother and maybe some others there.

The article I read suggested that this is not the first time TS has flown people around in emergencies but due to the high profile nature of this issue a lot of drivers thanked him publicly and brought it to the media's attention.

Not to get OT entirely but I still feel bad for TS, I think he's a good guy haunted by the Ward accident. Sucks that Ward's family is suing him too, I honestly don't believe TS did anything wrong.

I suppose it's only slightly off topic, since whenever this happens we look back at all the racers whose lives have been lost at the track. Every time it happens it feels as though it's an aggregate event, we're not just mourning JW, we're mourning Jules, Dan Wheldon, Ayrton, Roland Ratzenberger, Dale Sr, Scott Kalitta, etc etc etc.

Yeah Indycar was able to fly his wife and daughters out but TS arranged his jet to get JW's brother and maybe some others there.

The article I read suggested that this is not the first time TS has flown people around in emergencies but due to the high profile nature of this issue a lot of drivers thanked him publicly and brought it to the media's attention.

Not to get OT entirely but I still feel bad for TS, I think he's a good guy haunted by the Ward accident. Sucks that Ward's family is suing him too, I honestly don't believe TS did anything wrong.

I suppose it's only slightly off topic, since whenever this happens we look back at all the racers whose lives have been lost at the track. Every time it happens it feels as though it's an aggregate event, we're not just mourning JW, we're mourning Jules, Dan Wheldon, Ayrton, Roland Ratzenberger, Dale Sr, Scott Kalitta, etc etc etc.

Agree on all points. TS is a great driver, and a great guy. The stories I've heard about him from other media people are funny, scary, and entertaining.

TS did nothing wrong in that Ward accident, that kid screwed up, his scumbag family is trying to extort money from TS. I have zero feels for the Ward family...

Anytime there is a serious accident at the track it drives the point home that everytime you belt in something bad can happen. You just have to be right with god and okay with the idea the next trip down the track could be your last.

Usually you can tell how bad it is by how quickly the track crew is moving and the amount of equipment they are using.

When Mike Brown wrecked at the OLSR race I had a bad feeling based on how bad it sounded, and when they pulled out the jaws of life to cut him out.

I was watching and it was just bad. I knew something was wrong before he hit the wall. Just the way it was going straight with seemingly no driver input.

Part of me is against canopies because to me it wouldn't be an "Indy Car".

Part of me is all for canopies to make it safer. But with the rear end now they're not really open-wheel cars anyway. More like a hybrid indycar-prototype with the only difference is having the front wheels exposed.

Edited by o0n8