New Rig

ShowHBK

It was a long time coming, but I am finally no longer a laptop user. I retired my Alienware M17x R4 and I Thought would share pics of my first major PC build with CR.

Specs:

FX-8350 4.0 Ghz

Asus R9 380 Strix Edition

8GB Corsair Vengeance (1866)

Fatal1ty 970 Performance Motherboard

NZXT S340 Case

Corsair CX600M Power Supply

Windows 10 64-bit

Monitor: LG E2241 21.5" + Dell 21.5" (Not Pictured)

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate

Mouse: Razer Naga MMO

Not the most epic build on the planet, but I am damn proud of how clean it turned out and the build looks better than I expected. only problem so far is the CPU fan is on full blast 24/7 and makes a good bit of noise. Temps are fine so liquid cooling will replace the noisy fan for sure.

OIFkovSLwHxrwQQ7gFUYOtyE4R85vmdwSTYRJoOSYnw=w1680-h950-no

zadlOPKEAxBgR3aEvfgdepelp5u-ODZ3KSKB9vmi1sQ=w1680-h950-no

oFrLznqOMGo6CKq4-m4O1uUrcm9nt5zzgWhneFwVvYg=w1680-h950-no

hdHakOc6WyQ94Koo9w-ng0X-908gKIWazcBShCPh5W8=w1680-h950-no

Pretty neat build there HBK. What kind of budget were you trying to keep it under?

Thanks all,

Budget was to keep it all under $1000... At checkout with tax it was $954. The MB was $120, but I picked it up for $40 after discounts. Without the Keyboard ($120) and copy of Windows ($100) it would have come to ~$730-750

awww yeah liquid cooling FTW noisy fans of fury gets old fast unless you always play with headphones.

Looks good.

Think the H55 would do the trick? or maybe a Kraken?

Congrats, just in time for Fallout 4.

awww yea!

Nice lookin rig. How much did you drop on the build?

At checkout it was $954 (tax added)

Agree on the noisy fans.. Kill off the little fan on the back and use the 110 mm on the top of the case (What I did and it is really quiet (Even with the Corsair water cooler)...

Also laughed about a cup "o" Mountain Dew by the setup.. Remember those days (Caffeine and way too many hours killing creatures).

how do you like the r9 380 so far? I'm way over due for a video upgrade (running xfire 6950's and they're starting to show their age)

Almost hard to believe how cheap technology is anymore, I remember $2300 barely getting me a brand spankin' new packard bell pentium 133

how do you like the r9 380 so far? I'm way over due for a video upgrade (running xfire 6950's and they're starting to show their age)

Almost hard to believe how cheap technology is anymore, I remember $2300 barely getting me a brand spankin' new packard bell pentium 133

I really like the R9 380 so far. Its quiet, plays anything on 1080p @ 60+fps, and very stable overall. I paid a little extra for the 4gb version and I can see it helping in GTA V, Anno 2070, Grid, and Crysis. This is based of my old GPU which was a 7970m 2GB.

IMO, coming from the 6950 you would be very happy with a 380 or a 380x if 1080p is your think. I know the 380 can do 1440p but I don't have a monitor with that resolution.

My Alienware is going to go up on the Garage Sale section here soon. going to let is go for a bit less then its worth to anyone who is interested.

M17x R4:

1920x1080p display

AMD Radeon HD 7970M

2.6GHz Intel Core i7-3720QM CPU

8 GB RAM

Blu-Ray drive

HDMI input (Plug anything into the laptop display via HDMI)

two HD bays