WTF is with Truck Prices?!?

Rhett

Looking at doing some side work in the spring, so I am looking for a truck capable of pulling a small trailer. Looking at Rangers, Colorados, some SUVs like the Trailblazer and Envoy. But the prices people and dealerships are asking are insane. For example a 2005 Colorado with 280k is worth $3,600 - $5,000 what the fuck? And apparently year and mileage does not matter. A tuck from 1998 will cost as much as one of same make and model made in the mid-2000s. I just cant believe how high these cars run. Are these things bullet proof to 500,000 miles? Dont even get me going on the cost of a 12 year old Tacoma with 200k+....

Took me about 6 months to decide/find a decent truck. Ended up getting a Mazda B-series. I don't need to tow anything so i was looking for 4cyl/small V6 for decent gas milage. They are out there but the thing I came acrossed is the good ones don't last long at all so if you see a decent deal you better lock it up within HOURS.

Craigslist AUTO's is by far the shadiest of craigslist users. Tons of crappy dealers trying to pass their cars off as Privately owned too.

I get how prices can flex before winter, but they still seem retarded... if gas was $4/gal and they all lost 20% value. Id still think over $3k for a 11/12 year old truck pushing 300k is retarded... It would be like spending $3k to buy a bunch of problems.

The range has a very good rep..my cousin had a late 80s/early 90s (I forget now) that when he totaled it had 345k on it.

I had an 01 with nearly 140+k on it that I sold for 3300 and the buyer was ecstatic to find it. It was the little 4cyl(2300) 5 speed ,regular cab, 2wd.

I've got one now with the small v6 auto,xcab, 2wd with 136k...really nice truck

mace

Not sure what size/type of trailer you're looking to pull but honestly you may not need a truck. I pulled my wave runner with a 2001 focus hatchback. My neighbor pulls his 5x8 landscaping trailer sometimes loaded with shit with his like 2005 Elantra. Most cars can pull 1000-1500lbs without issue. Just a heads up, otherwise good luck with your search.

They are stupid I agree. Between the cost of the newer ones and cash for clunkers (bogus justification) and online sites listing things at obsurd values it's all out of whack. I wish craigslist or auto trader had the eBay features where you could see what the item actually sold for.

Does it need to be perfect or can you work on it?

Not sure what size/type of trailer you're looking to pull but honestly you may not need a truck. I pulled my wave runner with a 2001 focus hatchback. My neighbor pulls his 5x8 landscaping trailer sometimes loaded with shit with his like 2005 Elantra. Most cars can pull 1000-1500lbs without issue. Just a heads up, otherwise good luck with your search.

^^ this. Not sure what size trailer or item you need to tow and how often? Make the wife drive a minivan as most can pull upwards of 3,500lbs without issue. Ask me what I did ;)

Try new truck prices.

I built a new Colorado online the other day, optioned out ........$44k

A new GMC Sierra optioned out......$56k

WTF? I'll keep mine. Fuck those retarded prices.

Yesterday I saw a 2015 Silverado crew cab long bed with the 6.0l gas motor. $63k...

I get how prices can flex before winter, but they still seem retarded... if gas was $4/gal and they all lost 20% value. Id still think over $3k for a 11/12 year old truck pushing 300k is retarded... It would be like spending $3k to buy a bunch of problems.

My father got 150+ miles out of every one of his 1989-1999 Suburbans and Tahoes (3 in total). The tahoe is still running strong at over 200K miles. the only thing you have to watch out for on trucks with the 700-R4 trans is that the trans will usually grenade somewhere north of 125K miles. On the Tahoe it was at 140, on the last suburban it was 138K. The rear went in the tahoe too eventually but that was a 2 door sport that saw heavy off road use plus towing a car trailer with 1967 A-bodies on it several times. Other than that, the rusty brake lines, and the usual dash electronics problem if you keep on the oil changes every 3K miles like it was a religion that chevy 350 will keep running to 500,000 easily (and I have seen many that have done it). So I kind of understand why those trucks will keep holding value well into very high mileage territory. I mean the rest of the truck is 1990's GM and will probably fall apart around that chassis, and if you are within walking distance of an autozone and a hammer you can keep it running longer than you probably should. I am pretty sure that '99 tahoe will continue to be his beach and dog truck for another 200K, unless GM magically starts making 2 door tahoes again.

if you can find a manual trans 1500 pickup that has been maintained then the only problems you are buying into are replacing brake lines every 10 years, not being able to read your gauges, and doors that sag on their hinges because GM still thinks bronze is a viable hinge material.

I was going to suggest an XTerra. They can be had for around 2K. They are absolute dogs, but can tow 5K. (at least the auto can). That said, you may find a Frontier but they wont be as cheap. I dont think they made that many in comparison.

Didn't they make a "supercharged" Xterra? maybe that one is not such a dog?

Sounds like a good time to sell yours and make some profit

i like the truck too much. hopefully they keep their value when the new ones come out. i may upgrade. there are plenty of raptor purists who have vowed not to get the v6 turbo, but we will see.

Didn't they make a "supercharged" Xterra? maybe that one is not such a dog?

They did make a supercharged one but that aren't really that much better.

Mine is just the V6 and really it isn't that bad to drive around. It's no worse then my 3rd gen 4Runner or discovery in terms of daily driving.