Semi Driver (SC Floods)

ShowHBK

Deep water fording on rigs is 36". However, many can go in deeper. Your entry speed needs to be about 5mph, so as not to snap cooling fan blades. As that driver showed, keeping momentum is very important. I didn't like the current as he crossed the bridge. But, I'm assuming he was loaded, to help keep him in contact with the road. Anytime you ford water that deep, you need to service all your grease fittings ASAP. It's been 3 years since I taught this stuff, so there may be some new or better guidance out there.

How is this even possible?

A diesel-cycle engine has no external ignition source which can be foiled by moisture. A diesel engine will stay running completely submerged underwater as long as air intake and exhaust are above water. It's not even mandatory for exhaust to be placed above water, but it helps.

If you noticed, the driver seems experienced about this. He knew where the air intake and the tail pipe were located. Now, pay attention how the whole rig was kept at a certain, very steady speed. See the wake in front of the truck? The driver kept this wake in front of the radiator grille; the rig speed is not faster and not slower than the wake. It keeps the water from "entering" the engine bay and, in turn, keeps the speed steady. In order to maintain this speed in the water, the engine needs to produce more power; the reason why the exhaust gas was visible, turbocharger was at work.

The speculation part of this process is the depth. He might have watched another vehicle going by and was able to judge the depth. The driver was also taking another risk with the surface condition of the bottom. Debris, mud, and other factors might keep the rig from maintaining that speed. I hope his rig axles, transmission, and other lubricated parts are all watertight.

Yep...that bow wave is vital. Even if you make everything watertight water can get past axle seals just by cold water hitting the warm axles...That typically only happens if you get stuck and stop though. Key is to keep moving.

I relocated the little breathers on my FJ as they are typically right on the axles and whatnot. Diffs, Transfer case, Trans, even the little e-locker on the rear has a breather.

I ran them up higher to the inner fender.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a299/iwashmycar/58CCAA63-6953-4E23-AF2F-1E16917F5699_zpst8yssnhy.jpg

+1 :thumbup:

A diesel-cycle engine has no external ignition source which can be foiled by moisture. A diesel engine will stay running completely submerged underwater as long as air intake and exhaust are above water. It's not even mandatory for exhaust to be placed above water, but it helps.

If you noticed, the driver seems experienced about this. He knew where the air intake and the tail pipe were located. Now, pay attention how the whole rig was kept at a certain, very steady speed. See the wake in front of the truck? The driver kept this wake in front of the radiator grille; the rig speed is not faster and not slower than the wake. It keeps the water from "entering" the engine bay and, in turn, keeps the speed steady. In order to maintain this speed in the water, the engine needs to produce more power; the reason why the exhaust gas was visible, turbocharger was at work.

The speculation part of this process is the depth. He might have watched another vehicle going by and was able to judge the depth. The driver was also taking another risk with the surface condition of the bottom. Debris, mud, and other factors might keep the rig from maintaining that speed. I hope his rig axles, transmission, and other lubricated parts are all watertight.

Seen trucks ford water that deep before and I've gone through a little less. He was still pressing his luck a bit with not being able to tell for sure the depth and that current was pretty strong, were he not probably fully loaded he'd of never made it.

I went out with some friends one time, and there was this girl that showed up with her gay male friend. He almost immediately took over the conversation and made all the talk about how gay he was. He then proceeded to tell all the males in the group what he found attractive about them, and how he would like to get with them. I spent a lot of time in the gym at that time, and his comments started to piss me off. I told him I don't care what you do or what you are into, BUT I DON"T WANT YOUR COCK IN MY ASS!

That's what it's like talking to geeto67. Stop trying to shove your cock up our ass.

Too bad we can't rep people any more.

Agreed.