The "Detroit Drop"

zeitgeist57

maybe not identical but it's a lot of the same concepts: 2wd, mud tires, and not lifted to the sky. if that dodge was built 10 or 20 years ago the same way I think they would just call it a mild prerunner.

maybe not identical but it's a lot of the same concepts: 2wd, mud tires, and not lifted to the sky. if that dodge was built 10 or 20 years ago the same way I think they would just call it a mild prerunner.

Or they would call it a Detroit drop.

Or they would call it a Detroit drop.

yes they would magically invent that term that was coined last week 10 years ago just because of this truck. lol. ;)

I'm not saying I don't like it, I do. It's just a new name for something that's been around for a while is all, plus I like it better when it actually ties better to racing - because racing makes everything better.

Oh and I really dislike short bed regular cab trucks.

They remind me of when I go to do a habitat for humanity volunteer event for work, and there is always the guy that shows up in khakis and yells "I'm ready to WORK!" as he puts on jersey work gloves provided to him.

And leaves after 2 hours after having nailed down 2 pieces of trim.

yes they would magically invent that term that was coined last week 10 years ago just because of this truck. lol. ;)

They did make Dodge Rams 10 years ago. And someone could have painted it flat matte poop color and named it the detroit drop. So yes "magically" anything could happen.

Kerry, NOTHING like a pre-runner except for knobby tires and 2WD.

Still a stock, full-body, full interior street vehicle that uses a small drop to improve the stance and aggressive RUBBER (not wheels) to fill in the gap.

I tried this - cheaply - with Cleetus by incorporating a "stink-bug stance" with the nose dropped lower than the rear. Makes for a bed that can still haul stuff with minimal suspension travel still...Couldn't find low-profile 15" tires that had knobby, aggressive tread for cheap so I went with the functional snow tires. Would love some rally tires with RWL sidewalls but they were pricey and not the best treadwear for the street.

Ended up being a far more useful package despite the drop. Hence, my appreciation for this article!

needs more rally lights.

Didn't we used to call this setup "street legal stadium truck"? and before that "prerunner"?

Yes, same thing. The trucks you pictured are stock bodied, stock suspension trucks with aggressive tires and a vinyl wrap.