Scary Dyno Fail

wagner

Why was it being run that high?

That's probably where the end of 4th gear was with the gearing he has.

More than likely the tires speed rating wasn't as high as the tire was asked to spin. From my own expirence most dyno operators don't check your tires, it's on you to know if your car is safe.

Years ago I was allowed to make 5 dyno passes on my GTO with bfg belted t/a tires which they haven made since 1983. Nobody ever said a word about it, and that tire could have easily come apart being old, dry rotted, and generally gross. I was stupid as a kid.

Why was it being run that high?

I have no idea, you would think the dyno guy would do the pull in a lower gear to get the power pull quicker. I've never seen a pull that long before, looks like what happend to Jamie's supra when it had a slick let go on the dyno.

Stupid ass dyno operator ran the shit out of that car, sounded like he ran through all the gears? Poor guywho owns the Mustang trusted that operator and likely just didn't know any better. That's just a shitty situation.

So who in your mind would be liable? I assume it would be the car owner.

This kind of shit always worries me when I'm around a dyno.

I was talking to a couple guys about this video last night, and it seems like this happens more than you would think. The one guy had it happen on a BRAND NEW set of tires as well.

That dyno pull seemed like it was FOREVER long... but I don't know where the gearing on a Mustang puts 150MPH gear and RPM wise.

You are suppose to dyno in your 1:1 gear, which for example on a GTR is 5th gear. I have seen plenty of those exceed 160 MPH wheel speed during a pull.

So who in your mind would be liable? I assume it would be the car owner.

most likely. Often you have to sign a release before your car hits the dyno, but not always. Unless you can see some fault on the part of the operator that deviates from normal procedure it's usually on you to make sure the car is safe.

If the tire was speed rated for 150mph vehicle speed and the vehicle did not exceed 150mph you could make a case for a defective tire with the mfg, but I think dyno runs might be excluded from the tire's warranty and disclaimed at time of purchase. In slow motion you can actually see the sidewall deform and the tread separate from the rest of the carcass so there may be something to be done there. I doubt they would cover the damage to the car though.

And I just watched the video....and other than running it hard through the gears to get up to speed for the pull, I didn't see anything done wrong. For those of you that say "who runs a dyno that high" Obviously don't have a high HP Car that can easily make it to mid high triple digits on a simple 3rd gear pull on the dyno. Just saying.

Holy crap. Dyno operator was a moron. I was cringing the longer that pull went, seemed like it took forever, especially for a car that should've been making 600+. Sounds like he just put it in overdrive and floored it. I was expecting the shredded bumper and quarter panel damage, but was pretty surprised at how wadded up the inner structure was too, that's going to be quite a bit of work to repair.

And I just watched the video....and other than running it hard through the gears to get up to speed for the pull, I didn't see anything done wrong. For those of you that say "who runs a dyno that high" Obviously don't have a high HP Car that can easily make it to mid high triple digits on a simple 3rd gear pull on the dyno. Just saying.

Looks like an inertia dyno, so the higher the power the faster the pull should go. It also looks like he was in overdrive. That dyno pull makes no sense, just sayin.

Lol... just, no.

I can guess that the tire failure has more to do with the fact that the rollers are small diameter, and the car is also ratchet strapped down, putting much more weight on the rear. With a small contact patch, more pressure per square inch of contact, and a small diameter roller distorting the tire looks like a failure . The age of the tire is definately a cause for concern, tires over 7 or 8 years old don't take abuse and heat well.

Holy crap. Dyno operator was a moron. I was cringing the longer that pull went, seemed like it took forever, especially for a car that should've been making 600+. Sounds like he just put it in overdrive and floored it. I was expecting the shredded bumper and quarter panel damage, but was pretty surprised at how wadded up the inner structure was too, that's going to be quite a bit of work to repair.

It's a mustang 600 hp = 350 real world hp, hence the 2 mile pull

It said 200 shot and took WAY too long to pull through 4th. It should have revved much quicker than it did. Plenty of us have cars that make decent power and know what a pull is like. I only have 3 digits for my rwhp though :(

Guess I'm clueless.