Adrenaline-Junkie Sports in Columbus

super_usdm

Hey Guys,

I'm moving to Columbus by the end of the year and am wondering what type of 'extreme' sports are popular out there? I am coming from California so I generally get my fill of scaring-the-piss out of myself from snowboarding... jumps, rails, cliff/cornice drops, steep/deep, etc.

I'm hoping to find something human, wind, or gravity powered that takes advantage of Columbus' geographical location... strong winds/flat landscape? Just guessing. I really have no idea.

So, besides racing, what do you all do for fun to get your blood pumping?

Jason

^^ lol

So, you'll have a dirt bike in the middle of the gayest area of Columbus, and the neighbors will hate you if you start it.

You'll be within an hours drive to two different "hills", not mountains, for snowboarding. Mountains are a five hour drive from Columbus.

Guns, if you like shooting, you can do that around Columbus. Preferably, at a range.

Mountain biking and other types of riding are pretty good here. Travel a short ways and you can have some good terrain.

We have the only indoor, half mile go kart track in the US right now. Most days they only run it as quarter mile. It's pretty fun for something to do in the winter.

I'm sure there's more. Columbus is a pretty fun place it's not disposable income, Cali fun for options. But, there's a good balance here.

New River gorge and red river gorge are 4 hours away for rock climbing. The red is considered one of the top sport climbing destinations in the world. New river gorge also has white water rafting. Both of these areas I consider in our backyards since the average person I meet at these places is at least 10 hours away from home.

Snowboarding is about 5hrs away for anything decent but it would probably bore you.

You don't have shitty California gun laws anymore.

Good motorcycle riding roads are somewhat close.

Mid Ohio is less than an hour drive, bring a motorcycle and drag some knee at the many track days they have during construction season.

Decent XC mountain biking at Mohican, Alum Creek, Chestnut Ridge, etc. No downhill or anything comparable to out West though. We do have some badass indoor MTB options though at Ray's in Cleveland or the Mine down in KY.

Get a stand up jetski for Alum Creek like a Superjet, SXR, or if you've got money go with an aftermarket flatwater ski.

Paintballing at Splatterpark. Their rules suck, but I don't think there are any decent fields around anymore.

We have a pretty big ski/snowboard community for what little hills we have. It will be a big departure from Northstar or Tahoe...but its fun to have an option during our craptacular winters. Mad River is the best in Ohio...they have a decent terrain park and are open until 2am on the weekends(everyday during the xmas-NYE break).

No powder here though...so sell your swallowtail now and invest in a jib board or something stiff for all the ice.

We race as much as we can from March-ish through the end of October.

I street luge every once and a while. Some ride atv's and stuff. We have a skydiving outfit in Columbus. 2 ski/snowboard resorts. They're hills but if you ride park you'll have plenty of jumps, rails and half pipe. We also have Club Princeton, you should check that out.

I have heard of a competition where you chug a bottle of NyQuil and then beat off as fast as possible and see if you can get off before passing out. might try and look into that?

or the classic one: Go to any bar in short north and take 10 shots of vodka then try to get home before blacking/passing out

Thanks everyone. Sounding like XC mountain biking will be a good option. I'm getting a little old to be hucking it on a snowboard...maybe.

Street luge caught my attention and interested in checking out Alum Creek. I get pretty lazy when it comes to driving more than a couple hours for activities, but good to know there are some good weekend spots within 4-5 hours.

So, you'll have a dirt bike in the middle of the gayest area of Columbus, and the neighbors will hate you if you start it.

You are the second person now that's implied german villiage/short north are bad options for finding a place to live. What's the issue? If my neighbors hate me for making noise during daytime hours, I consider that their problem.

Lol, okay. So Mojoe was not speaking figuratively. Thanks for the warning.

New York Times has written an article on the German & Victorian Villages calling them "Columbus's Gayborhood". It's also cited Clintonville as a "Lesbian stronghold". Nothing wrong with it, they're pretty areas. You'll just be knee deep in coffee beans, Burberry scarfs and neighbors that scoff at your hobbies. I personally don't choose neighborhoods so I can be a minority.