Woodworking

NWill

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone here have a thickness planer that wouldn't mind running a piece of oak through it?

The missus purchased a dining room table that is missing a leaf and i was thinking about making one. The existing leaf that is it seems to be made up of 2" strips, about 6 of them wide. My thoughts were to take the 2" strips, glue them together, run them through the planer to make them the appropriate thickness, route the edges, drill holes for the dowels, then refinish the entire top. The rest of the top isnt in terrible shape but it would look strange if i didnt do the whole thing.

I can run them through. I'd advise leaving the leaf about 3-4 inches long as I haven't dialed in the snipe yet. Other than that, no problem

Really? That would be awesome. Ill shoot you a PM when i am ready to proceed. After i got home i measured the thickness of the leaf... 1" exactly. Not sure where i am going to get a 1" thick board. I have seen 1 3/8 and 3/4 only. Perhaps the 1 3/8" stuff can be planed down to 1". If that is the case you can buy pre-made 24"X60" slabs. Easy after that.

Also, you're not going to find 5/4 2" strips. If you just need a glued up plank of oak in a certain size, lmk

Menards has 5/4X 8, http://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/lumber-boards/outdoor-lumber/5-4-x-8-x-4-3-or-better-red-cedar-board-cutback/p-1444422748633-c-13115.htm?tid=-8542563001068956622

If i just get two of these and make 2 8" leafs i wouldnt even need to have it planed. Just cut to length, route the edge then sand/finish.

Oops that was for the cedar, but I did not see 5/4 oak on their website. I'll just have to go in and look.

The table won't have the leaf in it except for when we have company, and would likely have a tablecloth over it so if cedar is the best I can get I won't sweat it.

Are you cutting mortises for that rustic coffee table you're gonna sell as a kit? I can't tell how it's assembled. Nice work also. I do a little farting around but nothing worth showing off. I'll have to find some pics of some of my aquarium cabinets somewhere.

Looking good guys!

I just did a small project I posted in the "home improvement" thread. Got really excited about future woodworking after completing it. Looking to get some new blades for my miter and table saws. Hopefully, I stick with it and do a whole bunch more.

Are you cutting mortises for that rustic coffee table you're gonna sell as a kit? I can't tell how it's assembled. Nice work also. I do a little farting around but nothing worth showing off. I'll have to find some pics of some of my aquarium cabinets somewhere.

I was thinking mortise and tenon but that would require the buyer to own several larger clamps and have to glue it up. I could also do through mortise and tenons with a peg so it could be knocked down/assembled with no tools.

To keep the cost/labor down I would probably just predrill everything for Pocket screws and supply the buyer with the screws and a square head driver. Most people at least own a drill.

Thanks Tim, what have you been working on lately?

Man, lots of small stuff. Some benches for dining tables, a bunch of smalls like picture frames out of reclaimed lumber, stuff like that. I still don't have a full-time heating setup in my shop just yet, so I've been limited on what I can do out there finishing-wise. Started a new job early January and am home by 3pm everyday, so I'm really excited about getting more time to work on stuff during the week now that I'm not working 12 hour shifts.

Congrats on the new hours! I'm typically home by 1 or 2 but haven't had the motivation to work in the garage lately. I have a torpedo style heater that works well but I haven't had any pressing projects lately. Once it warms up a little I'd like to play with my new plasma cutter. It's still in plastic :(

Picked up a cheapo table saw earlier this week. Built a cedar bird feeder with it already. I am finding the table top to be a bit small so will likely be building a larger table for it. Air compressor and brad nailer next (if the waifu lets me)

Nice. I have Porter Cable, Bostich, and Paslode nailers. I also have a couple $20 HF ones. Just use good nails and they work fine honestly. Just don't get the 2 in 1 brad/staple gun. It leaves two holes regardless of fasteners. Slightly annoying but they work. And any cheap compressor will keep up with nailers.

Nice. I have Porter Cable, Bostich, and Paslode nailers. I also have a couple $20 HF ones. Just use good nails and they work fine honestly. Just don't get the 2 in 1 brad/staple gun. It leaves two holes regardless of fasteners. Slightly annoying but they work. And any cheap compressor will keep up with nailers.

Interesting.... I was looking at that 18ga 2 in 1, but suppose ill just stick with the nailer only. It has really good reviews. Does it only leave 1 hole? I have heard you have to dial in the PSI to the wood you are working with.

Their 10 gal 125 PSI compressor is on sale right now for 99. Plus theyre running the 20% off right now so for $79 i dont think i can go wrong. Its an oil lubricated and has great reviews, so long as you break it on per the instructions. I told myself i wouldnt buy an air compressor from HF, but for that price... Damn.

If you get just the nailer you should be fine. Just avoid anything "2 in 1."

To me, compressors should either be huge or tiny. I like the $99 porter cable pancake compressors as they are easy to move around the house. I also have a 20 gallon that barely gets used. It's overkill for a nailer and too small for any other tool I own/want. But, that's just me. Get whatever suits your needs, just don't expect a 10g to run an air sander, etc.

If the compressor is just going to sit in one place though, might as well go as big as you can.