Debating on replacing the M Roadster

Second Gen

The BMW (Z4MR running a stock configuration S54/6SMT) is sitting in the back of the garage and I am debating on selling her in the Spring. The car is immaculate and performs well, but I miss tinkering and forced induction.

Previously I had a street ported / single turbo FD putting down about 400 ponies in a 2800 pound car (was a blast and unique). I would like to move to something comparable to the FD (Weight/thrust ratio) and looking for ideas.

Really wanting to do a turbo Six, but a Dorito is still option (Maybe) and would need to be really clean/from the South. The last one I had was showing its age with rust and was the reason for the sale. Budget is in line with the Z4M (Approx $20 - 25K)

Ideas:

BMW is out as they are too expensive to turbo/super charge

GTR too damn expensive (But very cool)

Really not wanting a V8 because the additional weight/size (But do like the new Stang)

Supras are also getting expensive (Unless I go for a older model). Already had an A70 (1987 - 2002) and want something different.

Maybe I need to look @ an older turbo Audi or make retrofitting something into something Japanese??

Looking for ideas (What you may have done/thought about)

You cant turbo the Z? Or just dont want to? Just seems like there is possibilities to make yours a unique beast of a car you are looking for. I dont see exactly how turboing a BMW is far more than an FD in the end...unless the FD internals can handle it and the BM cant.

FD owners always come back after trying to go another direction. It's a curse. I will say though that finding a nice FD in today's market is very tough. Be prepared to see a lot of hacks or pay a lot (compared to the last time you bought) for a clean example.

Don't get an older audi. After driving the BMW any older audi will feel like a front-heavy understeering pig. Unless you want a nice comfy car, or fast winter car.

The BMW turbo cars make good power with simple mods. If I were in your shoes I'd miss the crisp NA response and bottom end

Did someone say turbo 6?

1381766_10100893489886292_1170880071_n.jpg?oh=741f3bdcc489a672ca353f8756de6e85&oe=56D424B5

In all honesty though, WRX/STI are affordable for that price range and make good power with basic bolt ons. If you start looking for a lot of power on top youre gonna have to do forged pistons though.

The 2 or 3 series with the turbo 4/6 would be good as well.

If you are wanting to get into something more hands on with modding, an old E30 with a turbo would be good. Sticking with a 6 cylinder is tough. Most stuff is either v8 or turbo 4, not a lot of examples of nice 6's anymore.

The issue I see here is...you've had a couple of really well balanced, light, driver involved sports cars with good power to weight.

Based on your suggestion you're taking away handling and light weight and driver interaction in favor of just something with more power and straight line performance. Is that really what you're after?

If you're looking for faster without giving up the driving experience, FD is the only choice in my opinion. Based on the shopping I did with Chris (smokey) earlier this summer it's going to be every bit of your 20-25k budget to get a nice one.

are you adverse to old junk?

Wanting to do a forced induction inline 6 that is not a bmw or BMW prices pretty much leaves you with 1970's-80's Z cars, older supras, mercedes diesels, Jaguars, whatever Japanese cars the 1jz/2jz engines came in, and 1960's pontiac OHC inline 6's.

Personally I would go find an early 1970's jaguar (preferably an XJ6C) and swap in a 1994+ AJ16 4.0L supercharged six out of an XJR. 400 hp in a 3000lbs car with no ABS, traction control, or stability control should make for some epic hoonage. old jaguar chassis are pretty good with independent front and rear and 4 wheel disc brakes (inboard on the early ones) so it should make of a way better ride than a lot of other old junk that is out there.

if you don't want old junk then I don't know what to tell you.

What do you want to use the car for?

By your previous choices it seems you want a balanced car, as others have stated...

Snag a Elise for 25k, and sell it for 25+ when you're finished. You can drive them into the ground and get your cash back out.

I'm a big fan of Corvettes, and there is lots of fun to be had in that budget. How about turboing a Miata? Sounds kind of lame but there have been people making good power in that little car, just 200 wheel was fun in mine and I've seen over 300. An STi could be fun as well.

In the end it sounds like you want another FD.

Ideas:

BMW is out as they are too expensive to turbo/super charge

GTR too damn expensive (But very cool)

Really not wanting a V8 because the additional weight/size (But do like the new Stang)

Supras are also getting expensive (Unless I go for a older model). Already had an A70 (1987 - 2002) and want something different.

Maybe I need to look @ an older turbo Audi or make retrofitting something into something Japanese??

Looking for ideas (What you may have done/thought about)

A LS motor (V8) is the lightest and probably the smallest power plant listed above.

I vote new ND miata and follow all the aftermarket coming out for the car. Put a Rotrex on it and make 300whp at 2200lbs.

OK as I thought lots of good conversations (Thx too):

Am I after something well balanced = Yes (light if possible)

Two people mention turbo'ing the S54 is easy, but the write-ups I have seen they seem like a major PITA (OR fail in some cases). HPF sold their failed attempt on eBay recently for a loss. This is tied to the DCS (Antilock/traction control system) on the Z4M's. One option is a Supercharger kit for about $5.5K. Maybe an option

Do I want something I can wrench on = Yuuuupppp (Storage wars)

Older Z car was mentioned, but unless they are from the South they are worse than the FD's. I know where a 260Z sits, but looks to be gone..

Drive line - RWD or AWD is OK, but not aware of a lot of turbo AWD 6's. Not wanting the FWD option (Sorry HART folks)

Smokey / Chris - Yeah I have had 8 RX7's (Can you say I have a problem). Cost will probably be an issue

Not a lot of experience here with Lotus. Maybe can look here (Turbo/FI)?

Love the older Jag's, but not the XJ's (Maybe the XJ-s?). Anyone find me an E type or nutty XJ200?

I guess I am looking for something abstract. Maybe something odd like a Triumph GT6 swapped. Or maybe a tube frame fiber fab (Jamaica like).

Guess I need to do some trolling over the Jan/Feb timeframe and see what I might be able to Frankenstein.

As always appreciate the good chat/comments from the CR members.

EDIT: Wrote this before the above response was posted, certain options may be void now)

My vote would go to either

An oldschool S30 (240/260/280z) Nissan w/ LS swap,

Or

E30 coupe w/ M60/M62 swap. That would be gnarly. (v8) or an S50/S52 if you really want L6)

If you want an older style car, those are my votes. Gorgeous cars with huge amounts of information, as well as a lot of the above swaps documented.

If you're looking for something newer,

RX8 w/ LS swap

SC300 w/ Soarer 2.5GT (1JZGTE+R154) swap (turbo L6)

Scion FR-S w/ 1/2JZ GTE swap (or basic bolt ons... but a JZ would be great in the platform, and would fit the turbo 6)

Maybe an Audi A/S5 would fancy you? (available in V6/V8)

If you're in the mood for a sedan, my votes would go towards

Lexus IS-F with bolt ons (V8)

Bugeye/Blobeye/Hawkeye STi (H4)

B7+ S4 (B7=V8, B8=V6)

There's a LOT of great options out there for your price range.

c5z with a turbo rotary swap??

haha

honestly, they can be had cheap, will be as light as anything out there. you can wrench on them as much as you want, the motor takes abuse, with tons and tons of aftermarket support and parts available. great motor, great brakes, light, power-to-weight, still look good. shitty interior--who cares.

Love the older Jag's, but not the XJ's (Maybe the XJ-s?). Anyone find me an E type or nutty XJ200?

I guess I am looking for something abstract. Maybe something odd like a Triumph GT6 swapped. Or maybe a tube frame fiber fab (Jamaica like).

liking more and more what I hear (except the not liking xj6 part - the early series II cars are really very nice for a 70's car).

there really are some interesting things out there:

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/5362847915.html

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/5311256316.html

I'm pretty sure these both belong to craig:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/5335269330.html

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/5346867357.html