CC&C should be better

zeitgeist57

Yesterday, I found out that the other CC&C group has irked some people over upping their "sponsorship" cost for 2016 to thousands of dollars. With a couple of major corporations in town backing this group, it's apparently becoming big business to set up a parking lot full of cars.

That said, I'll be talking with a few people associated with shops in the area about promoting additional events they want to put on. These won't affect weekly meets at Cup O' Joe, but will provide additional activities not associated with the other group. Anyone want to see...

- Open Houses for Shops?

- Morning Cruises from locations to Cup O' Joe @ Lennox

- "Poker Run", or some sort of rally where you're going to different spots around Columbus for scavenger hunt items and then returning to a central spot.

- FREE COFFEE?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday, I found out that the other CC&C group has irked some people over upping their "sponsorship" cost for 2016 to thousands of dollars. With a couple of major corporations in town backing this group, it's apparently becoming big business to set up a parking lot full of cars.

That said, I'll be talking with a few people associated with shops in the area about promoting additional events they want to put on. These won't affect weekly meets at Cup O' Joe, but will provide additional activities not associated with the other group. Anyone want to see...

- Open Houses for Shops?

- Morning Cruises from locations to Cup O' Joe @ Lennox

- "Poker Run", or some sort of rally where you're going to different spots around Columbus for scavenger hunt items and then returning to a central spot.

- FREE COFFEE?

I know of at least one place that will do some backing for coffee. We need to meet and talk about this and some other things, when you have time.

If you get a poker run going, I can get a sizeable group of the Columbus sport bike riders out, if you'd like us involved. I know we'd be down for shop open house days too.

To clarify, I'm not talking the Taco Bell parking lot gang trash (although I've been there a few times...), I'm talking folks like Shanton Wilson, Erik Schmelmer, Joe Sutherland, etc.

Clay, this has been your baby from day one, and you've done a great job of growing it into a enjoyable, sustainable event. It takes effort to successfully promote this with social media, but you've done an excellent job on that end, too.

When others have asked me what the "secret" was to CC&C's success, I've said it was because you've kept it simple -- no membership, no dues, no events, no one excluded. If you like cars, you're welcome. Rain or shine, always the same time, same place. You draw some really great people to Lennox on Saturday morning.

I think if you begin to take on fund raising, cruises, special events, shop tours, car shows, logo wear, etc., then I think it adds a level of complication that takes you away from your "center."

Do you really want to follow the course that the other CC&C did?

Just my .02

I own a business in a strip mall on Schrock road and have a good sized parking lot that's not ever busy on Saturday or Sunday mornings. I would love to host cars and even open my business for people to hang out inside. There is a Tim Hortons across the street and Starbucks down the road if people arrive with coffee already.

Though I agree with Doc 100% to keep things simple, I do like the idea of doing a cruise or special event after people meet at Cup O'Joe. nothing crazy or fee based, but maybe do something where after everyone meets up at the normal time and anyone else who wants to cruise for lunch, hangout, or other special event afterword is more then welcome to tag along.

CC&C is special to me because it is a simple group who are passionate about cars. The best things about CC&C are that there are no fees or memberships, there is no initiation or right to membership. It is a welcoming group who love cars and thats what brought me here in the first place. I don't think it was ever even about owning a fancy car or sponsorship, but to me it was about the community that has been built here. I have only been going to CC&C for three years now and I have to say that the community is why I keep coming back. The community that you have built Clay is awesome! Whatever changes we make, lets try and keep what makes CC&C awesome the same as well.

I am all for trying something new, but I say... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" :D

I own a business in a strip mall on Schrock road and have a good sized parking lot that's not ever busy on Saturday or Sunday mornings. I would love to host cars and even open my business for people to hang out inside. There is a Tim Hortons across the street and Starbucks down the road if people arrive with coffee already.

Nothing like pulling up to CC&C in my orange stallion and having some guy in tights doing ballerina shit around my car. Not enough coffee in the world to make that an experience I'd enjoy on a Saturday morning.

I'm sure I know a shop that would be happy to host something if you want to go that route. Last fall we did a couple of cookouts for a few car clubs and have a decent amount of space.

But to echo Doc, part of what has made your CC&C group so excellent is the simplicity. I know any Saturday I can get my tired ass out of bed, drive down 315 and meet some people who are into cars and not stuffed shirt about it.

Now, the idea of partnering up with someone who wanted to set up a rally or something .. not a bad idea. But don't let it detract from what you've already built.

Thank you for the thoughts and comments so far!

Screw the other group, Make this thing huge...think big. Do you have some local members with some connections and experience with events? I can help remotely, but I think it is time to come of of the gates hard and fast.

What's Dylan and BYMS doing these days? Will be talking to people on Friday, but I'm not prepared to make this a second job. If people want more out of this group, it's going to have to be a group effort and not just myself.

Props to Milligan and Fondriest for bamboozling a team of social-media minions to do the "fake-it-til-ya-make it" marketing: It's worked and I'm too far back to play catch-up without those guys failing first.

If you get a poker run going, I can get a sizeable group of the Columbus sport bike riders out, if you'd like us involved. I know we'd be down for shop open house days too.

Good call and thank you. I'll use you as a point-person for communications if that's OK.

United Ford Owners might be able to do something with you. Let's talk.

Thanks, Aaron.

Clay, this has been your baby from day one, and you've done a great job of growing it into a enjoyable, sustainable event. It takes effort to successfully promote this with social media, but you've done an excellent job on that end, too.

When others have asked me what the "secret" was to CC&C's success, I've said it was because you've kept it simple -- no membership, no dues, no events, no one excluded. If you like cars, you're welcome. Rain or shine, always the same time, same place. You draw some really great people to Lennox on Saturday morning.

I think if you begin to take on fund raising, cruises, special events, shop tours, car shows, logo wear, etc., then I think it adds a level of complication that takes you away from your "center."

Do you really want to follow the course that the other CC&C did?

Just my .02

Couldn't agree more, Doc. However, the purpose of this thread is to service a "calling" that constantly comes up - that I recognize - but I'm not interested in following. Right or wrong, I have to be true to myself on this one. Yet, if I can rally others, I'm happy to make those connections.

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

I'm sure I know a shop that would be happy to host something if you want to go that route. Last fall we did a couple of cookouts for a few car clubs and have a decent amount of space.

But to echo Doc, part of what has made your CC&C group so excellent is the simplicity. I know any Saturday I can get my tired ass out of bed, drive down 315 and meet some people who are into cars and not stuffed shirt about it.

Now, the idea of partnering up with someone who wanted to set up a rally or something .. not a bad idea. But don't let it detract from what you've already built.

Austin, I'll be hitting you up with ideas around open houses and cruises into Cup O' Joe. Let me know of the shop you're thinking of. ;)

Couple of questions for the group:

- If there was a cruise, is 9am too early? Would you drive to a cruise spot departing at 10am instead, going to Lennox Town Center?

- Would it help if Lennox' parking lot was better organized, with areas to park clearly designated? Not cordoned off based on make/model, but just better outlined?

Towards late fall we had a cruise for the Ohio G club that started at CC&C, afterwards we all got on the road together and cruised up to the shop. Along the way picked up several others ended up with a pretty good crowd.

Those sorts of things DO require some time, energy, and cat herding skills just fair warning of what you could be getting into. Even the day off we had no idea how many people to expect, 5 or 50 until Gs/Zs starting appearing out of nowhere.

- If there was a cruise, is 9am too early? Would you drive to a cruise spot departing at 10am instead, going to Lennox Town Center?

- Would it help if Lennox' parking lot was better organized, with areas to park clearly designated? Not cordoned off based on make/model, but just better outlined?

If you leave someplace at 10 to get to C&C by 10:30 lots of times people start rolling out by 11.

I think parking works the way it is. People decide how in the mix they want to be. If anything maybe something to suggest not parking in the first 5 or so rows closest to the theater since they get surrounded by normies early.

Personal opinion? 9am on a saturday morning is a little rough for those of us who are still in the going out on friday nights phase of life. However a cruise, after like 11ish then maybe hitting a lunch spot/shop/photo op, is an idea I could get behind.

As for the parking lot, other than when there's some random huge movie coming out we really haven't had much issue with the parking situation. I kind of like the whole dynamic now where you can either park with a "Crew" or like rides.

I'll see your .02 Doc and raise you .05

Scott, that does make more sense as I'm thinking it through...to have Open houses for Lucore, Studio 47, AA Customs, etc...after Cup O' Joe that people can cruise to.

No need to change what is done and make it a "job". Meet at the same place, same time as always, just add the following things that can all be set up to run with no effort via e-mail or text:

-Sponsor coffee,

-After cruises that mix with an open to the public open house (will help expose people to Cars and coffee).

-Work with UFO or other groups to help drive memebership for them, exposure for Cars and Coffee