Another advice thread

Geeesammy

Looking for career advice, I'll try to paint as best of a picture as I can. I feel like a douche for airing my stuff out on here to strangers, but whatever.

I'm 24, have a pretty good job for not having a degree or any formal training and just jumping into being a mechanic and flying by the seat of my pants and getting lucky along the way with being able to think critically and quickly on my feet. I started off in this to get caught up on bills and pay off some debt which I've done, but I'm starting to get sick of it. At first it was fun and challenging, now I am stuck and kind of overpaid and underchallenged which most people would love, but I don't. I don't have much to work towards anymore and without having a challenge I get bored very quickly.

The constant bullshit and volatility of the auto industry is irritating at best. I understand everywhere you'll have to put up with a boss, unfairness, etc. I truly get it. Lately I've just not been challenged by much and I don't have much room to move up where I am unless I decide to stay where I am for years. I have it about as good as a mechanic can get it, tools are supplied, Air Conditioned shop, hourly and very easy work and I'm still growing bored with it and not too interested anymore and just have a "meh" outlook on it at best when I wake up in the morning.

I've always despised the idea that I'd need to give someone money for 4 years to give me a fancy piece of paper with my name on it saying I know something, but it seems that to get anywhere anymore that's what I'll need to do. I've searched around for something that interests me, I guess I should just pick something and go with it? I've talked to a few people about my situation, I think I'm too old to go back to school but in reality I know I'm not. This is going to come off extremely douchey and Narcissistic, but I've talked to the same people I've known for years and all seem to give me the advice "pick something and run with it, you'll be excellent at whatever you choose." I've seen friends and old high school people graduate with worthless degrees and regret it so I know the mistakes not to make I guess, but still skeptical of college.

So where I'm going with this all I guess is what is a good career field to get into now? My girlfriends parents and family all think I'd be excellent at something along the lines of Actuarial Science or something in the finance field, which really interests me, but I am always worried about being laid off with some crazy high student loan payment. I'd ask mine but neither of my parents went to college and no aunts or uncles did either. Her family I guess I could say is a little more versed in the education and professional area whereas mine just kind of roughed it and made things happen somehow. Health fields are of no interest which seems to be the hot area right now. I've taken about 4 semesters worth of a M.E. degree right out of HS, but not sure if I'd want to get back into it, it seems like a Mechanical Engineering job is hard to get anymore without a masters, which I'd like to avoid right now.

Any recommendations or advice, either positive or negative is welcome.

TL;DR: I'm 24, seeing the painting on the wall that being an ogre working on cars for the next 40+ years isn't going to end well and looking to do something now.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The grass is always greener on the other side.

With that said, you're 24 you have plenty of time. I concur with the IT field. It can be tedious but it'll constantly challenge you.

I take that back. You should spend 6-8 weeks training with Jive and become a dance instructor. Work with him a year and go across the street and open your studio. Profitsss!!!

Except you've got an art degree........

Which still opens more doors for you than I for the most part.

In all honesty the degree does not help as much as you would think (IMO). Many if not most people who hire these days are not interested in your education or your background. In the 20 interviews I had in 2015 only once was I asked to describe or discuss my education. Many of the interviews were more interested in the experience I had or how I choose to problem solve different situations. In the event of my educational interviews people were more interested in my experiences with children and what other teachers had to say about me. In short, 4 years at a university does not mean much. Many places now add "4 years at university or equivalent experience" to their job descriptions.

Yes, I have a degree... No, it does not mean much in the real world. My B.S. is in Education for the record. :p

I am currently applying to every place that looks fun to me. Jewtoys has a point. Pick something that you enjoy doing. What do you wake up in the morning and dream of doing each day? pick a carrier path that excites you or makes you want to leave your house and go to each day. I am currently trying to apply to every IT position I can find, sure 90% of the people don't give a shit about my resume, but i'm trying my best to advance my dreams and make a life for myself... why should you be any different?

I disagree with "Asking others for career advise won't lead to happiness." On the contrary, I think you can learn a lot from your peers. Starting with the question "what do you enjoy doing?" is it cars? tech? anything else? make a list of things that excite you or what you are passionate about and go from there. the only person though, in the end who will motivate you is yourself. you got to have the drive and the motivation to take control of your life and point it in the direction that you want to go. You got this! :thumbup:

Edited by ShowHBK

In all honesty the degree does not help as much as you would think (IMO). Many if not most people who hire these days are not interested in your education or your background. In the 20 interviews I had in 2015 only once was I asked to describe or discuss my education. Many of the interviews were more interested in the experience I had or how I choose to problem solve different situations. In the event of my educational interviews people were more interested in my experiences with children and what other teachers had to say about me. In short, 4 years at a university does not mean much. Many places now add "4 years at university or equivalent experience" to their job descriptions.

Yes, I have a degree... No, it does not mean much in the real world. My B.S. is in Education for the record. :p

I am currently applying to every place that looks fun to me. Jewtoys has a point. Pick something that you enjoy doing. What do you wake up in the morning and dream of doing each day? pick a carrier path that excites you or makes you want to leave your house and go to each day. I am currently trying to apply to every IT position I can find, sure 90% of the people don't give a shit about my resume, but i'm trying my best to advance my dreams and make a life for myself... why should you be any different?

I disagree with "Asking others for career advise won't lead to happiness." On the contrary, I think you can learn a lot from your peers. Starting with the question "what do you enjoy doing?" is it cars? tech? anything else? make a lit of things that excite you or what you are passionate about and go from there. the only person though, in the end who will motivate you is yourself. you got to have the drive and the motivation to take control of your life and point it in the direction that you want to go. You got this! :thumbup:

Asking a group of people how you should spend the next 30 years of your life, I don't feel is going to have a great end result.

Someone can sell you on a career, but you might not end up on the same path as that person giving the advise.

A career choice should only come from within, otherwise following others dreams, or chasing the money will lead him right back to where he is now. Feeling stagnant and lost.

Asking others for career advise won't lead to happiness.

What are things you enjoy? What can you see yourself waking up and doing everyday, and not hating it?

I'm just looking for ideas, not someone to tell me what I have to do.

IT sucks. Do outdoorsy shit like marine biology or something. Or hell, the railroad is always hiring.

2 people I know did the railroad neither are working right now both laid off.

Aviation school? Pilot's license? Air Force?

Gave it a thought awhile back, too tall to fly. Air Force wants me to be like 220 otherwise I'd do that lol

I'm just looking for ideas, not someone to tell me what I have to do.

2 people I know did the railroad neither are working right now both laid off.

Gave it a thought awhile back, too tall to fly. Air Force wants me to be like 220 otherwise I'd do that lol

Ideas for which career path?

Again, what would you ultimately enjoy doing?

Asking others for career advise won't lead to happiness.

I think his point is to spark conversation and ideas vs looking for someone to say here's your career path. Although quite often it's a lot about who you know and keeping good ties in life that get people places and open doors for them along the way.

Ideas for which career path?

Again, what would you ultimately enjoy doing?

Something that would challenge me.

I like working with numbers, creating something with a set goal in mind, working towards something and not just putting out little fires here and there.

Asking a group of people how you should spend the next 30 years of your life, I don't feel is going to have a great end result.

Someone can sell you on a career, but you might not end up on the same path as that person giving the advise.

A career choice should only come from within, otherwise following others dreams, or chasing the money will lead him right back to where he is now. Feeling stagnant and lost.

I look at it with a different meaning. I have been asking people on CR and at CC&C for career advice for some time now and I am always interested to hear what people have to say. Every bit of it is great advice and has helped me out a lot. I don't think in any way someone else should run your life or sell you on a path, but hearing advice from them always helps.

I'm one of those people with a semi-worthless but expensive piece of paper. I'm 28, graduated 08-09 during the worst of the recession in terms of hiring, and found myself in a similar industry, though in the sales side. I just bought a bunch of materials to help me study for the LSAT which I'm aiming to take in June or September (depends how much work I need to do to get ready).

My advice would be to think about what interests you and what would keep your interest. If you like cars but working on them in your current capacity bores you, think about what would excite you. Would designing them excite you? Would working in the build process excite you? Would you not be excited in this field no matter what? Honestly just think about your skills and qualities and what you seemingly work on without working on. For me that's my debate skills. I've always enjoyed debate of any kind, and for me the car sales negotiation process satisfies that desire but not to the degree I want, which is why I'm looking to make a change. Practicing law can give me the opportunity to leverage my analytical skills as well as the joy I get from debate and negotiation if I work hard at it.

Whatever you do, don't go back to school for a B.A. Get a B.S. or nothing at all.

My advice:

Start by getting into a job where you have to sell something to someone.

Every business has to make money, which involves people who sell the product/service.

Learn how that business operates and takes notes regarding core necessities that you see.

Then go start your own business (same niche, or different) where you can apply the things you have learned.

That's how the world works.^^^

A lot of this other advice will end up getting you to a ceiling eventually.

Your level of ambition will be very telling when you quote/respond to this post. Then I can help you more.