Kinetico RO info needed

harmonda

My house had a Kinetico softner and RO system when I bought it. We are due for a filter change. Before I call Kinetico and hear how much they want to come out and do it...I thought I'd see if anyone here knows these things. I am curious if a filter change is a DIY...where to get filters...pitfalls...etc. A quick google turned up a lot of nay-sayers. Sounds like other RO systems are A LOT cheaper to keep in filters. Help?

I had a kinetico system once, filters were $6 from the local kinetico-selling shop in marysville, came with an o-ring, and were user-serviceable in about 40 seconds. The old filters were nasty and clogged up with rust junk after 3 months, sometimes I'd back-flush them and run them awhile longer.

Really didn't see any change in pressure or quality after changing them.

Shop may have closed up, it was on the main drag in marysville behind the dairy queen.

We have one too and it is great. Finding filters can be a pain. They email us with sale info, and then the links never sell the filters. Stupid.

We buy them in Johnstown, and have seen them in Home Depot at times. I change them every two to three months, as needed based on the hard water smell or color of the filter. It takes about three minutes, and the filter comes with step by step directions. The first few times were a little intimidating because I don't really grasp the whole system. Three years later, it's nice and easy. Let me know if I can be of help.

Update: I went to the dealer in Canal Winchester on the way home yesterday. It was pretty easy. They didn't try to sell me a service call or anything like I expected. The filters aren't cheap. I needed 3 and they came to like 130 bucks. But when I opened the cover on the unit I saw that they hadn't been replaced in a couple years. The previous owners were a retired couple so we will use it at a faster pace for sure. The filter with the meter on it starts to shut off the feed after 500 gallons. The dealer says it typically takes a family around a year using a single drinking water tap. Ours also feeds the refrigerator and ice maker...so again...likely faster. Anyway...fears were for nothing. All good. The dealer even has a drive through to make it quick and easy. Water tastes a lot better now...by the way. Still would be nice to find a cheaper online source for filters. But...oh well.