So DeLorean is back in business...

SpaceGhost

http://www.click2houston.com/news/deloreans-to-go-back-to-the-future-and-into-production

Pretty pricey....

HUMBLE, Texas - The DeLorean is going back to the future and into production.

We first saw the time machine three decades ago in the movie, "Back to the Future." But the last time a DeLorean was built was about 35 years ago. Soon that will change at the DeLorean Motor Company in Humble.

"It's fantastic. It is a game-changer for us. We've been wanting this to happen," DeLorean CEO Stephen Wynne said. "That was a green light to go back into production. That was prohibited. It was against the law to do it."

Wynne brought the DeLorean Motor Company to the Houston area in 1987. For the first time, the DeLorean will be manufactured on American soil.

Dozens of DeLoreans are at the Humble facility. Some are owned by the company but many are shipped there from around the world to be refurbished.

Wynne said the company will build replica 1982 DeLoreans under a low-volume manufacturing bill approved by the federal government. He estimates he has enough supplies in stock to build about 300 cars. He hopes to go from building one a month to one a week.

"It's huge for us. It means we're back as a car company again," Wynne said.

You can buy a refurbished model for $45,000 to $55,000. Wynne hoped to sell the new ones for less than $100,000. The price will depend what modern engine he chooses.

"There's no reason to change the appearance of the car. As we go into the program, we'll decide what areas need to be freshened up," Wynne said.

Wynne hoped to have the first car completed in early 2017.

"There's no reason to change the appearance of the car..."

uh, ok

Agreed. Those cars are cool but they're pieces of shit. Refurbish the turds if you want but show the world you can make a modern car that doesn't suck ass too.

Sad that the only reason they are being remade is because someone thinks the business case can be made for $100k DeLoreans.

I get Singer, and these bespoke Porsche resto-mod guys over the last few years...911 prices are still ridic.

A business case can be made for $100K deleorans. They only made about 9000 in total and the DMC club think only about 6500 of those still exist. While aircooled porsches seem rare, since 1964 to 1991 they have made probably a hundred thousand of them. He is looking to build 300 cars over the course of several years, do you honestly believe that there are not 300 people world wide with $100K and want to buy a Delorean?

DeLorean's are unusual collector cars in that they are one of the few that modified examples actually pull more money than restored or preserved originals. Mostly because the engines in them are so terrible. In the last year prototype cars and extremely accurate BTTF replica cars have actually hit the 100K mark.

We are starting to get into that time period where people who remember them and are nostalgic for them (ESP back to the future fans) will have disposable income and while delorean values are pretty flat, I can't see them staying that way for much longer.

The only thing that really sucks about the delorean is the 130hp six. They really are striking cars and while the styling may seem dated now, they probably are not any more so than a comparable lotus or ferrari 308 from the same time period.

I know people will buy these and will enjoy them... but, I really was hoping for an evolution of the car. Maybe a new model or new look?

I can only hope that this is just a small step for something much bigger. remake a new 2017 DeLorean with the same design language as the previous one but make some "modern" touches to the car. That would be cool to see.

I really was hoping for an evolution of the car. Maybe a new model or new look?

remake a new 2017 DeLorean with the same design language as the previous one but make some "modern" touches to the car. That would be cool to see.

you mean like this:

http://um.smash.com/2015/07/DeLorean-o4-740x494.jpg

http://newsfeatures.autotrader.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/11-West-Coast-Customs-WillIAm-Delorean-620x413.jpg

LOL. Maybe someone should ask Will.I.Am how his car company is going.

I hate to be the one to say this, but there really is only one delorean. It is hard to have a "new" car without John Delorean, and really a delorean without the stainless steel bodywork isn't really anything special. Part of the allure is how 1980's coke dealer they are, I mean they are like greenwood corvettes without the tacky over the top wings and vents (so more like a white Ferrari testarossa then...lol). Let the 300 people spend the money for 400hp LS powered 1980's time machines (pun intended).