2016 Camaro SS vs 2016 Mustang GT

caseyctsv

Damn! Perf Pack 'Stang approaches $50k and can't beat a sub-$40k Camaro...

Although, I do feel that there's a lot of bias in these reviews.

Also, the LULZ in this thread are good.

Agreed on the bias. I think I saw where Motor Trend named the Camaro the car of the year. In the end, there is not enough of a difference to overcome a buyers' brand preference.

this article was referenced a few times back in the "old" arguments we've already had.

This is the slowest magazine mustang they have tested. Also, there is no track data either.

I hope they do another article, but mainly a head 2 head video, with actual track data.

Yeah, to be truthful, it hit my FB feed and it looked like a new article. I posted it before I had a chance to read it because I thought it would be an interesting read.

I am also looking forward to track comparisons but the Camaro has more power and less weight - it is not rocket science and the outcome of any sort of race is predictable. We can argue styling, interior quality, blah blah blah but there is no question the Camaro is a faster car. We have already seen the ATSv track times and they share platforms. Now whether the extra performance sways a Ford guy to buy a Chevy? Probably not going to happen.

I am looking forward to an upgraded performance modeL versus the GT350. The challenge is I do not see a GM answer to the GT350 directly. The 1LE will be fast but with the same motor as the base SS will not match the power of the Voodoo V8. The ZL1 will be faster (it will have over 100 HP more) Cooler? Not sure about that as the Voodoo V8 sounds really cool and is special.

I 100% agree that the camaro is better at everything performance related, at least with what we know so far.

I also expect the 1LE to be fairly intensive, maybe even more so than the 5th Gen. I think the package will be 4k, and add that to the already more expensive Camaro, it'll sit in the middle of the Mustang GT PP and the GT350 base, price wise, but will align better with the GT350 in "on paper" stats. It won't be the emotional choice, but I have no doubt it'll get it done.

I think the GT350 track package (57k I think?), will out perform it, and the R, obviously will.

I don't think the ZL1 will be a competitor for anything ford currently has to offer, if they bring anything F/I out, like the GT500, that's its competitor imo.

Competition is good, but I don't exactly expect Ford to care too much about the Camaro as its a step above in price, and newer. Oh, and the Mustang outsells the Camaro.

I do hope their refresh for 2018 will be a bump in power, and a thorough rework of the suspension, and makes the PP more extensive, even if its only in new spring/shock rates and wider tires.

For the cheaper price my favorite car right now would be the 350R, but if I could justify the $$ my real favorite would be the new Zo6 vert. If I'm gonna jump from a pony car it would be the Z06 not a Camaro. In a few years the Z06 used will be hard to not try to obtain. All aside though, I really like my GT in the summer. Not so much in the winter. I need to find a cheap 04-05 STi for a winter beater.

I am kicking myself a bit for not throwing my CTSv in storage and pulling the LS6 and drive train for something fun some time in the future. I just did not have the space for it to make sense and I had an irrational attachment to it which prevented me from tearing it apart.

I am kicking myself a bit for not throwing my CTSv in storage and pulling the LS6 and drive train for something fun some time in the future. I just did not have the space for it to make sense and I had an irrational attachment to it which prevented me from tearing it apart.

Yeah, don't kick yourself for that. I hear Ben talking about parting out a Mustang for a FF Cobra - I talked about doing that with a Mustang GT convertible (drive it for a few years then part it for a FF) back when I was looking for a 'vert in '12 - but in reality you end up storing a heap that you'll never part out properly.

You were good to sell it.

I spent a solid 15 years in love with the FF Cobra...now that GM built the Corvette Z06 in a convertible/targa, I have to admit I'd go with one of those used in 7 years for $30-40k rather than $30k into a good Cobra kit car.

Yeah, don't kick yourself for that. I hear Ben talking about parting out a Mustang for a FF Cobra - I talked about doing that with a Mustang GT convertible (drive it for a few years then part it for a FF) back when I was looking for a 'vert in '12 - but in reality you end up storing a heap that you'll never part out properly.

You were good to sell it.

I spent a solid 15 years in love with the FF Cobra...now that GM built the Corvette Z06 in a convertible/targa, I have to admit I'd go with one of those used in 7 years for $30-40k rather than $30k into a good Cobra kit car.

Valid points.

TL : DR version for Brian:

If you have to run for your life after a loofah incident take the Camaro.

If you have to drive a long distance to buy a new loofah take the Mustang.

:lol:

Flawless

this ^

It's typical GM makes a great drivetrain and ford makes a comfier car argument. It's always been that way.

Mustang 1/4 mile time and MPH can't be right......can it?

No, as stated, its the slowest mag tested mustang to date. Most stock s550 mustangs are 12.5 to 13.0 at 111-114mph.

At a good track with the stars aligned I could maybe see a really good driver breaking into 12's with one of those. #IRS #HandlingBro #AddedWeight #SlowerThanPreviousModel

Wrong, as usual.