Victorian Village Home for Sale - 432 W 5th Ave, 43201

Dr. Pomade

Hell Hath Frozen Over?

:confused:

It's going.... Market is dry right now in terms of offerings (that hit my/our criteria) because of the winter. We started looking at houses in late November. We have seen about 40-45. Our realtor is the shit too.

We've realized that any house that is on a half-to-full acre of land is going to be older (90's build) and require a bunch of updates. We are zeroing in on a home in Wedgewood that meets our criteria. But, we'd need to get it cheap enough to make sense (because of all the updates it needs).

My problem is... I want a custom 4 bedroom home on at least a wooded half acre where I don't feel like I am elbow-fucking my neighbors. I also don't want it to look super-brand-new on the exterior (cookie cutter).

TLDR:

I want to live in the nicer areas of Wedgewood.

No newer houses come with enough land unless they are in BFE.

Good for you for taking your time, doing a lot of showings, and making sure you find something that you really want and will be satisfied with.

I feel you on all those things you mentioned. At one point, we were into buying cheaper and then remodeling, and then determined that we just aren't into living through the hassle of remodeling. Some people are, and, if you can live with it, I think it can work out great financially, aesthetically, etc. However, our lifestyle just wasn't conducive to remodeling.

When we looked at new/er builds, we found that a lot of them were in newly developed neighborhoods, like Jerome Village. While those neighborhoods were great - great homes, good locations, etc. - we just couldn't get over the "cookie cutter" look of many of them and the fact that you pay so much money and so little to zero land/yard.

We finally determined that we wanted something a bit more unique, custom, and with more land. Well, the only way you are going to get that is to pay a shit ton of money in a developed area that we wanted to live in (Powell, Dublin, UA, etc.)...or move out to the country. So, it was like, yeehaw bitches, Plain City here we come. And, really, it isn't that far out - basically off Cosgray Road and 161 (Post Road). Give it about 10 years, and I'm certain it will be developed suburbia out there. Hell, they are in the process of putting in a Costco like a mile (as the crow flies) from our place; that's pretty much a sure sign of a coming suburban onslaught. And I did mention that our taxes are about 1/4th to 1/5th of what they would be in Powell, Dublin, UA, or, hell, even Columbus city proper?

In any event, good luck with your home search. I am a fan of people searching for a new place to live, as it's exciting. And I'm always intrigued to hear what people like and what they prefer and what they look for in a home.

Give it about 10 years, and I'm certain it will be developed suburbia out there. Hell, they are in the process of putting in a Costco like a mile (as the crow flies) from our place; that's pretty much a sure sign of a coming suburban onslaught. And I did mention that our taxes are about 1/4th to 1/5th of what they would be in Powell, Dublin, UA, or, hell, even Columbus city proper?

LOL@ the taxes comment. Sounds like someone who bought in Pickerington, Reynoldsburg/Pataskala, Grove City, or any other cookie-cutter neighborhood over the last 10 years.

I appreciate the want to have land, but all of that coming development is going to require taxes to support the infrastructure. Millage used to be highest in Bexley and UA for sure, I pay $8k a year for .43ac...but now you see Pickerington, Olentangy, Dublin, NewAlbs needing to up taxes every election year for that 2nd, 3rd, 4th high school...and it's STILL a 30-min drive to anything worthwhile.

Not trying to be all "rah-rah UA", but with the amazing development going on downtown - and schools available in Grandview, UA... not sure if the allure of buying land will be strong a few years in.

Tilley I was in the same spot as you. I was dead seat on buying 1+ ac and building what I want, with the garage I want......ect. But with 2 kids and looking at market pricing over the last few years, I changed gears and looking to build IN a neighborhood with a semi-custom builder. Why? Sidewalks....walking distance to parks and schools. young kids want to play with other young kids and if I built what "I" wanted, I would have to cart them around in a car anywhere they wanted to go. Now, they can grow up like I did-walking and biking to everyone's house and growing up "low-tech", hand on, and in real life. And when would I have time to maintain 1+ ac? LOL I barley have time to wipe my own butt some days!

Still getting land .66 ac, backs up to woods, on cul-de-sac, and will have #2 of 550 houses in the neighborhood. 3+car garage and momma gets sidewalks and a great neighborhood/school system. Everyone wins!

LOL@ the taxes comment. Sounds like someone who bought in Pickerington, Reynoldsburg/Pataskala, Grove City, or any other cookie-cutter neighborhood over the last 10 years.

I appreciate the want to have land, but all of that coming development is going to require taxes to support the infrastructure. Millage used to be highest in Bexley and UA for sure, I pay $8k a year for .43ac...but now you see Pickerington, Olentangy, Dublin, NewAlbs needing to up taxes every election year for that 2nd, 3rd, 4th high school...and it's STILL a 30-min drive to anything worthwhile.

Not trying to be all "rah-rah UA", but with the amazing development going on downtown - and schools available in Grandview, UA... not sure if the allure of buying land will be strong a few years in.

Are you shitting on me or am I just reading this wrong? Serious question.

Tilley I was in the same spot as you. I was dead seat on buying 1+ ac and building what I want, with the garage I want......ect. But with 2 kids and looking at market pricing over the last few years, I changed gears and looking to build IN a neighborhood with a semi-custom builder. Why? Sidewalks....walking distance to parks and schools. young kids want to play with other young kids and if I built what "I" wanted, I would have to cart them around in a car anywhere they wanted to go. Now, they can grow up like I did-walking and biking to everyone's house and growing up "low-tech", hand on, and in real life. And when would I have time to maintain 1+ ac? LOL I barley have time to wipe my own butt some days!

Still getting land .66 ac, backs up to woods, on cul-de-sac, and will have #2 of 550 houses in the neighborhood. 3+car garage and momma gets sidewalks and a great neighborhood/school system. Everyone wins!

I hear you. There are a ton of things that can factor in.

Tilley I was in the same spot as you. I was dead seat on buying 1+ ac and building what I want, with the garage I want......ect. But with 2 kids and looking at market pricing over the last few years, I changed gears and looking to build IN a neighborhood with a semi-custom builder. Why? Sidewalks....walking distance to parks and schools. young kids want to play with other young kids and if I built what "I" wanted, I would have to cart them around in a car anywhere they wanted to go. Now, they can grow up like I did-walking and biking to everyone's house and growing up "low-tech", hand on, and in real life. And when would I have time to maintain 1+ ac? LOL I barley have time to wipe my own butt some days.

We did the same JP, I have been made fun of by people on here about how close our houses are on this street. Over the last 3 years we have 12 houses on our street with 30+ kids, we are always out with our neighbors having a great time. We maintain a closed Facebook group page we post on daily. We come home from work when weather is nice pull out some chairs drink a couple of beers (wine for the women) and hang out while all the kids play around us outside. We all get together for events, we bought the Pacquiao Meryweather fight and got a projector and watched on the garage door. We recently had the kids and parents of almost every house over to watch the Super Bowl. It's just a huge potluck. We do movie nights with the projector for the kids on the garages. We Grill and Smoke massive amounts of meat and eat together in the summer. We have vacationed with some of the neighbors. Now that we know these people really well it's no big thing to have your kids there or theirs over to your place, we feed them, have sleep overs, help babysit. Man we sit around and drink and talk and laugh on Friday nights (What we have named porch nights) about what it's gonna be like on the street in 6-10 years when most of these kids will be dating each other, maybe going to school dances. Other than my wife, us building this house in Westerville has been the best decision we have made. We've had some tough times where we have had miscarriages, stillborn babies, family deaths, we all rally and help. These houses are close but we as a group are even closer. Wouldn't trade it for a million dollars honestly. I'm not religious, but most would say blessed, I'm gonna say we are lucky. We hit a different kind of lottery. So many people don't want to get to know their neighbors. Life is much better the other way around.

We did the same JP, I have been made fun of by people on here about how close our houses are on this street. Over the last 3 years we have 12 houses on our street with 30+ kids, we are always out with our neighbors having a great time. We maintain a closed Facebook group page we post on daily. We come home from work when weather is nice pull out some chairs drink a couple of beers (wine for the women) and hang out while all the kids play around us outside. We all get together for events, we bought the Pacquiao Meryweather fight and got a projector and watched on the garage door. We recently had the kids and parents of almost every house over to watch the Super Bowl. It's just a huge potluck. We do movie nights with the projector for the kids on the garages. We Grill and Smoke massive amounts of meat and eat together in the summer. We have vacationed with some of the neighbors. Now that we know these people really well it's no big thing to have your kids there or theirs over to your place, we feed them, have sleep overs, help babysit. Man we sit around and drink and talk and laugh on Friday nights (What we have named porch nights) about what it's gonna be like on the street in 6-10 years when most of these kids will be dating each other, maybe going to school dances. Other than my wife, us building this house in Westerville has been the best decision we have made. We've had some tough times where we have had miscarriages, stillborn babies, family deaths, we all rally and help. These houses are close but we as a group are even closer. Wouldn't trade it for a million dollars honestly. I'm not religious, but most would say blessed, I'm gonna say we are lucky. We hit a different kind of lottery. So many people don't want to get to know their neighbors. Life is much better the other way around.

We lived in some condos in Hilliard a few years ago. We shared a fairly large, common area with several neighbors who lived in nearby units. Throughout the spring and summer, that area basically turned into a big social gathering. All the kids would play while all the adults would sip their favorite beverages, chat, grill out, share food, etc. It was this really great sense of community. We absolutely loved it.

Great posts by JP and Ben above. I also enjoy that "old school" neighborhood feeling that escapes my friends in newer areas behind strip malls and major roads; I'm outside wrenching/yardwork and my kids can play in the neighborhood...and the neighborhood RESPECTS it. People slow down. My kids interact with older neighbors and I make them show manners and respect in a way you don't get playing on an iPad in the basement of your Powell M/I build. So many benefits, including $5-10 Uber rides to some of the best bars/restaurants in town. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Tilley, PP's right...not busting your balls. Plus, I'm surprised by your last post regarding how nice condo life was. Ashley's expecting...curious if you want to have a similar neighborhood experience?

I've been active on the board for a long time, and wear my opinions/emotions on my sleeve. I wish everyone all the best in their decisions...just providing my observations!

..but now you see Pickerington, and it's STILL a 30-min drive to anything worthwhile.

Right about 25 minutes from my door to my office on OSU campus. Downtown is even less.