Victorian Village Home for Sale - 432 W 5th Ave, 43201

Dr. Pomade

Our previous home in Victorian Village is for sale. We moved to our new home in the Plain City area because we wanted more land (which is obviously tough to come by in the Victorian Village area). Here are links to the listing:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/432-W-5th-Ave-Columbus-OH-43201/33941366_zpid/

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/432-W-5th-Ave_Columbus_OH_43201_M36628-49509

http://www.trulia.com/property/3056817774-432-W-5th-Ave-Columbus-OH-43201

It is located in Dennison Park Place, which consists of six other, similarly-sized homes. Dennison Park Place is centered around a shared courtyard and is gated. Dennison Park Place is located in The Circles portion of Victorian Village. It's a historic area of the city.

The background on the house is pretty cool. A couple decades ago, Battelle wanted to expand their grounds and, to do so, bought up a portion of The Circles. In compensation for destroying a portion of The Circles to make way for their new construction, Battelle took the six best homes from that immediate area and paid to have them moved up 5th Avenue. They literally picked up the homes and moved them up 5th Avenue. The six homes that were relocated formed the current six homes that are at Dennison Park Place. It was called the "Renaissance Project." When they moved the homes, the laid all new foundations and installed all new electrical, plumbing, etc. So, our home has a decent size basement in it - and not like the typical basements you get in Victorian Village homes where it's all cramped and dungeony. Our house was build in 1920, but the plumbing, electrical, etc. is all from like 1989 or whenever they moved the house and restored it. This was a selling point for us, as we liked that we could get the 1920's build/architecture/charm/style without all the 1920's problems.

The home has a two-car garage as well as an additional spot next to the garage. So, you get three parking spaces with the home, which is kind of a big deal, since parking in Victorian Village is a hot commodity. Also, if you are having a party and need a lot of parking space, Dennison Park Place has an arrangement with Battelle to use their parking lot with advanced notice. Battelle is right across the street. This home is technically located at the corner of W 5th Avenue and Battelle. I sometimes wondered how awesome it would be to work at Battelle; my commute would be about 500 steps.

While it's a 5th Avenue address, the area is very quiet. I think this is because we are in a courtyard and not technically facing the street. Also, because it's gated, we never had strangers or solicitors in courtyard. It's within walking distance of the Short North as well as Grandview Heights, so there is plenty to do with respect to dining, nightlife, etc. Also, it's a prime location for Ohio State game days - you are close enough that you can just walk to Ohio Stadium, but, oddly, we never got any drunken idiots wandering through our space. Win/win as far as I'm concerned.

The list price for the home is $649,900. We are willing to sell this without the use of realtors; if we can work that out, we'd reduce the price of the home significantly (like by tens of thousands of dollars). Realtor fees are so damn high - if I can find a buyer without the use of one, then that would result in a sizable cost savings.

Also, I'll pay $1000 to anyone who finds a buyer for the home. Meaning, you refer someone and they buy the house, I'll give you $1000.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Feel free to reach me directly on my cell at 614-325-5970.

We get it, you're rich.

Love the copper ceiling. The wife and I are on the hunt for a house in the $400k range, so my craigslist strategy would tell me you'd take that right? Kidding, but seriously good luck with the sale. Its a stunning home. I really like it a lot.

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

We get it, you're rich.

I wish.

Initially I would have not have guessed Plain City but its pretty close to Dublin so not too BFE.

Yeah, we're basically on the border of Dublin and Hilliard. Not too far out at all, really.

I'll give a free appraisal if you finance with me... :cool:

Beautiful home...great seller...I'm sure this home is top notch.

Tilley, let me know if you want the hook-up on a title company for when you do sell. Should save you quite a bit in title charges.

-Marc

Thanks again for the kind words.

I'll give a free appraisal if you finance with me... :cool:

Beautiful home...great seller...I'm sure this home is top notch.

Tilley, let me know if you want the hook-up on a title company for when you do sell. Should save you quite a bit in title charges.

-Marc

Absolutely, my good man.

I'd hold a constant rager knowing I'm in the same bedroom where Tilley used to angrily flex his triceps whilst spreading his seed.

:lol:

Ashley is due in April. We didn't move into the new house until October. I'll let you do the math and then bask in the glory of your predictive power.

If that's what your house near downtown looks like, I'm wondering what type of place you bought in the country :eek:

It's actually much more modest than the Victorian Village home. Smaller in terms of square footage, but much more usable for the family and a floor plan that is more conducive to our current likes, needs, etc. It's more custom, and a lot newer - both things we wanted to go with as well.

Very well finished! Excellent attributes for the price.

I was half tempted to tell Nikki about it.

But, the dream of living downtown's ship has surely sailed by now. Love the place though!

I know the feeling, sailor. :)

How is your home search going?

I know the feeling, sailor. :)

How is your home search going?

It's going.... Market is dry right now in terms of offerings (that hit my/our criteria) because of the winter. We started looking at houses in late November. We have seen about 40-45. Our realtor is the shit too.

We've realized that any house that is on a half-to-full acre of land is going to be older (90's build) and require a bunch of updates. We are zeroing in on a home in Wedgewood that meets our criteria. But, we'd need to get it cheap enough to make sense (because of all the updates it needs).

My problem is... I want a custom 4 bedroom home on at least a wooded half acre where I don't feel like I am elbow-fucking my neighbors. I also don't want it to look super-brand-new on the exterior (cookie cutter).

TLDR:

I want to live in the nicer areas of Wedgewood.

No newer houses come with enough land unless they are in BFE.

If we have someone intadested in the house, should they contact you directly?

Longshot, but I'm talking with a BofA partner that's moving to C'Bus from NC...they're not sure where they want to end up but were in a similar neighborhood (and pricepoint) in Charlotte...