Does anyone know how to get rid of a unibody once you've parted it out?

williaty

One of my friends had her car totaled. I'm considering buying it back on a salvage title because the cost to buy it back is much less than the value of the parts on it. My concern is how to dispose of the unibody once the parts have been stripped off. It won't have any of the powertrain or any of the suspension on it. Without it being able to be rolled around, I have no idea how to get rid of it.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Could be onto something. Just leaving metal box tubing alone will be picked up in a day. It got to the point, that my recycling bin was emptied of all beer cans. Made me think that it was time to cut back. The problem thought I can see is that if a car is slowly left out there in chunks or on craigslist, that it might not be viewed as the most legal way to get a car off your property. I'm not sure if anyone has contacted local enforcement to see what is the approved way to do it.

Do you not care if you get money from it? I bet if you put it on Craigslist as free for scrap metal for anyone willing to pick it up you'll get about 100 people on your doorstep within half an hour of posting it.

That would be my suggestion. Just post saying free as long as they pick it up.

Could be onto something. Just leaving metal box tubing alone will be picked up in a day. It got to the point, that my recycling bin was emptied of all beer cans. Made me think that it was time to cut back. The problem thought I can see is that if a car is slowly left out there in chunks or on craigslist, that it might not be viewed as the most legal way to get a car off your property. I'm not sure if anyone has contacted local enforcement to see what is the approved way to do it.

I was being figurative about the 100 people. I would say that they have to come pick the whole thing up. It will be gone quickly.

As mentioned, if you have a title then any scrap yard will take it. That's what I did with my old FD shell. I think I got a whopping $45 or something for it.

You could also use a sawzall and cut it into a bunch of pieces and put it in a dumpster if you really wanted, but that'd take a long time. I'd say craigslist is your next best option.

When my friend balled up his srt-10 ram- we stripped it and took it to the metal recyclers. IIRC he walked away with a $500 check for the scrap metal weight. The receipt said "Hulking motors."

I still remember the look on his face when the scrap yard dropped it into the pile from 10+ feet up...

I got rid of an old GTO body that was too far gone to save by using a sawzall to cut it into very small chunks and then several trips to the metal recycler with the pieces in the trunk of my car, and then taking a butane torch to the vin and title once everything had been disposed of.

As above scrap prices are LOW.

If you sawzall the car you will have more $ into blades than you will get out of the scrap.

Get everything off you need, post a picture of its current state on craigslist (so the people coming have the right setup), hide yo wife - hide yo kids - and get ready to meet some people you never thought existed.

I sold off a mostly stripped Windstar to Woody's a few months ago. They yanked it up onto a rollback in about five minutes.

Woody's wanted to give me 40% less then Scrap value for a shell w/transmission & Suspension. Called them on it and they responded "we'll, we're a Junk yard, not a scrap yard" :jerkit:

Sorry I didn't touch back on this sooner. For some reason, all my alert emails from CR were going straight to my spam folder.

I have no way to get it to a scrap yard or I'd just do that and take the $40. Someone is going to have to come here to get it because, once the wheels are out from under it, it's stuck as far as I can help. I'm familiar with the chaos of posting scrap to CL. Is there any sort of a professional that would come pick it up? Years ago, I got rid of a rolling chassis that wasn't worth fixing by doing that. Dude showed up with a rollback, took the title, handed me $200, and took the car away. Unfortunately, I can't remember who I had do that nor even what I looked under in the yellow pages to make it happen.