Referral: powdercoater from IPS

El Karacho1647545492

Hopefully someone here can help me. Last year around this time I had my factory wheels powdercoated at IPS. Today one of my wheels got royally fucked on a pothole, it's bent to the point that I don't believe it can be fixed. I'm going to see if Wheel Medic can do anything for it but, barring that, I'm likely going to simply replace the wheel with another factory one. I'd like to have the same guy do the work and at the very least find out exactly the paint that was used so I can hopefully match colors.

Can anyone help? thanks in advance.

Not sure who was doing it for IPS, but Hoblick has been powder coating on the side out of his garage. I'm sure he can color match. He just did my wheels and they are exactly as we talked about them being.

FWIW, I dropped off a wheel to wheel medic last year for some curb rash fixing and then repaint. The paint didn't match the other wheels, so I had to bring them back. Picked them up, and they matched. Three months later, the paint was chipping off in a couple places. Now, another trip down there to fix paint and hope the color matches. Ronnie is a great guy, and I enjoy talking to him. But, I'm let down by the several trips for the same wheel to be repaired.

Not sure who was doing it for IPS, but Hoblick has been powder coating on the side out of his garage. I'm sure he can color match. He just did my wheels and they are exactly as we talked about them being.

FWIW, I dropped off a wheel to wheel medic last year for some curb rash fixing and then repaint. The paint didn't match the other wheels, so I had to bring them back. Picked them up, and they matched. Three months later, the paint was chipping off in a couple places. Now, another trip down there to fix paint and hope the color matches. Ronnie is a great guy, and I enjoy talking to him. But, I'm let down by the several trips for the same wheel to be repaired.

Ronnie is no longer with Wheel Medic from my understanding, you also aren't the first person to mention having those issues with wheel medic. Rumor is now they don't have a painter either, but I hope they can get yours fixed up. We use a different wheel company at work and have the same issues, bent wheels not totally fixed, paint chips off when mounting new tires after repair, the list goes on. It's seeming to be increasingly difficult to find a viable wheel repair option in columbus.

Ronnie is no longer with Wheel Medic from my understanding, you also aren't the first person to mention having those issues with wheel medic. Rumor is now they don't have a painter either, but I hope they can get yours fixed up. We use a different wheel company at work and have the same issues, bent wheels not totally fixed, paint chips off when mounting new tires after repair, the list goes on. It's seeming to be increasingly difficult to find a viable wheel repair option in columbus.

To be fair, I imagine wheel repair is one of the toughest things to do. I don't have personal experience though.

The more I look at this fucking wheel, the less round it looks rather than just a bad bend. Pics incoming in a moment. Frankly I'm amazed it didn't blow out the tire or give it a tumor.

EDIT: HOLY RESIZE BATMAN

http://i.imgur.com/xM8PyxPl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7MGW5zQl.jpg

I've never done it either, but when you charge someone for a service one would imagine you would actually perform the service, or say it is not fixable, not make a half ass attempt.

It's hard telling from pictures but I think that wheel should be able to be repaired. I don't repair wheels for a living but I've seen worse be fixed.

That color looks like Prismatic gold. I'm doing that color on a set of wheels today

I believe that's what it was, I do know for certain that "Spanish Gold" is the name of the color I just don't know what brand for certain. I can't find an old version of their now-defunct website to find out what materials they use either.

EDIT: Do you mind PMing me your contact info in case the bend can't be fixed?

I said fuck it and sold all four doe $60 on here. I was pissed. Thought I hit a dead body. Blew out both passenger side tires. This is why I run a minimum of a 50 sidewall on winter tires and keep them on until April, that's about when the potholes are fixed.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l284/dsnowgod/0bce88f8.jpg

Guys, call alloy wheel repair at 614-353-4882 or. 740-808-0727 . This guy comes to you and does a fantastic job. If he can't fix it on site, he will take it in and bring it back. I've never had great luck with Wheel medic, and hate driving down there.

Guys, call alloy wheel repair at 614-353-4882 or. 740-808-0727 . This guy comes to you and does a fantastic job. If he can't fix it on site, he will take it in and bring it back. I've never had great luck with Wheel medic, and hate driving down there.

That's actually the 3rd time I've been referred to Brad, not here but via other friends. I will definitely contact him. Thanks.

UPDATE: I had Kaleb Birch at Dent Wizard handle it. My service manager at our Lincoln store, someone I definitely trust, said they'd trailled Kaleb a few weeks ago and he'd done a good job so they had him do about 50 wheels in the last couple weeks and he's blown them out of the water in terms of his work and efficiency, so I gave him a try since his work would be covered under the wheel/tire coverage I got when I purchased my car.

Long story short, Kaleb did a great job. It's not visually perfect, but despite the tiny dent still visible the car tracks perfectly, no vibration, and most importantly he did NOT damage the finish on the wheel. I would HIGHLY recommend Kaleb, and also recommended that he get on this board. If anyone needs any work done, you can reach him at 614-323-1426, or at kaleb.birch@dentwizard.com. EDIT: Forgot to mention that, like Brad @ Alloy Wheel Repair, Kaleb works out of his truck and will come to you.

Thanks for all the assistance. Pics in a moment to show the work done.

EDIT: The damaged area was located around the 5oclock position

http://i.imgur.com/WLicTAvl.jpg

closeup. if you want to see a MEGA closeup of the pic below, remove the "l" before the ".jpg" and you can see the original size

http://i.imgur.com/gYK7Wocl.jpg

I was just at J.Nutter Designs talking to Ronnie, and he was in the process of turning some BMW X5 wheels back to Wheel Medic to re-powder some matte wheels where the finish was brittle and cracking just from the tire installation. Was thinking of this thread as he's had a heck of a time with their quality.

I was just at J.Nutter Designs talking to Ronnie, and he was in the process of turning some BMW X5 wheels back to Wheel Medic to re-powder some matte wheels where the finish was brittle and cracking just from the tire installation. Was thinking of this thread as he's had a heck of a time with their quality.

I actually got in touch with Ronnie, his prices were a hair lower than Kaleb but I don't think he was able to travel, and since this is my daily that definitely played into the decision.

Ronnie was highly recommended through several friends though.