MENS SOFTBALL: PLAYERS NEEDED

Geeesammy

Details

Last year Clay, Agent Orange, ICEMAN, BAHD-LER, beatercamaro and myself were on a softball team. I am unsure if this team has disbanded or not, but with registration quickly approaching and having heard nothing from the team in question, I am thinking about getting a team together and gauging interest to see if I should register or not.

Pertinent info:

Games will be played Sun-Fri, we played Wednesday nights anywhere from a game start time of 5:30 to 9:30. Usually one or two 9:30's and the same with every time in between. 10 games are played with no doubleheaders (at least last season, the website makes no mention of them for this season.) The chance for playoffs is there, but last year we didn't make it (I'm not going to say exactly why, but lets just say we weren't winning like Sheen.)

What do I need? Do I need skills that kills?

A glove for sure, a baseball glove works..I used one last year, but as a softball is quite a bit larger than a baseball I recommend a softball glove, this can be had for $40-$50 for a decent one.

I plan on placing the team in the least competitive league so we at least get some confidence going and don't get rekt game in and out.

A bat helps, most guys have their own and don't mind you using it. Just don't chuck it at the fence in excitement after your first hit!!

Skills are not required, just a basic understanding of how baseball works and knowing where to run when you hit the ball and where to throw first although it's usually yelled out between batters.

WHAT IS REQUIRED THEN?!?!?

I'm glad you asked, we need reliable people. Last season people showed up right at or 5 minutes before game time and left us stressin' if we would have enough people to even participate. The teams usually prefer attendance over skills. I understand fully the 5:30 game really pushes it for a lot of people, I am one of them.

So when does it start and how much does it cost?

-Registration opens March 29th

-Season begins April 29th

-$399 per team. Last year we had a sponsorship with Planks, I don't really feel like chasing my tail and don't have much time to hunt down a sponsor right now. So unless you do and want to be the coolest guy on the team and don't want to pay at all then expect to pay something.

How many people per team?

With it being free, no one really cared. With paying I am sure some will get cranky if they don't play the entire game. 10 are needed on the field to play, so I think 12-13 is a good number keeping in mind at least one absence per week, and needing someone to be "coach" and "scorekeeper" during some points during the game. Usually whomever sits can be one or both of these roles. It's not hard, just tallies for our and other teams runs.

This brings the cost per person to like $35, not bad for 10 nights of entertainment and exercise!

If you are interested, post here with questions and PM me if you for sure want in.

Here is the site for anything I missed, it is likely covered in here!

http://crpdsports.org/league/softball/

It was Berliner the last 2 years, 1 of those I was on the team. I'm sure Clay knows more about previous years if he chips in.

IF YOU ARE LOCKED IN:

Please PM me your Email Address so I can get a list going, it's a little easier than sending out loads of PM's.

Interested. Question about game nights. You say Sunday through Friday but then said you played Wednesday. Wednesday works for me but not Monday or Tuesday's. How confident are we they will be on Wednesdays again?

Interested. Question about game nights. You say Sunday through Friday but then said you played Wednesday. Wednesday works for me but not Monday or Tuesday's. How confident are we they will be on Wednesdays again?

Not sure as of yet, they are usually on the same night FWIW.

I'll email them and see what nights each league shapes up to be, I could go to the next to last competitive league if it moved to Weds. I know Weds. seems to work out for most, I think golf leagues and vball leagues are usually tues and thurs night?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Somewhat of a long shot, but does anyone want to sub for me at 3pm today in Delaware? We need a 5th guy to field a team. Probably first base so just need to be able to catch the ball. Its co-ed rec fun league.