WTB: Tacoma/Tundra or Van

Radio Flyer1647545514

18k to shop with. I don't have to use it all. I'll look at high mileage vehicles as long as they're in good shape and reliable. I'm in no rush either.

Looking for a replaced frame Toyota or something that was garaged and the frame is still in good shape.

Tacoma: looking for a v6, TRD off road access/extended cab 4x4 or 4x2 with locker. I'd also look at double cab Long beds.

Tundra: Basically same wants but I think 6.5ft bed is standard, even on the double cab but I may be wrong. Looking for 4x4 since I don't think they come with the locker. I don't need the 5.7.

I NEED a 6ft or larger bed.

Interested in cargo vans as well, maybe even some minivans. I don't know much about them. Looking for something reliable and in good condition with removable rear seats and I'll want to replace the fronts with chairs that swivel.

I bought my 2006 Tundra double cab new (Non 4x4) and have not looked back. 117K miles now and have only performed normal maintenance. Solid vehicles unless beat to death.

Make sure you factor in the timing belt if not changed (Parts $250'ish, and upward to 600 labor if you are not installing)

Also mentioned in another thread, not great on mpg's (15 -16 in town and 20 ish on the freeway)..

They said I'd want to test drive anything in that price range before I buy.

Real interested in a 05-06 tundra 4x4.

Looking at one tomorrow.

I test drove a tundra before buying my Tacoma. Maybe it was just because I was going from a small car to a full size truck but it felt enormous on the road. Like I was driving a sofa with a cargo bed in the back. I bought my standard cab Tacoma a few weeks later. In retrospect I probably should've kept looking for (at least) an extended cab taco.

I did find an extended cab Taco 4x4, regular size bed (6ft?) for $17k with around 60k miles but I didn't jump on it in time. Every 4 door TRD i found had over 100k miles and was still what I thought to be too expensive for what it was. Goodluck in your search and post pics when you find something.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2nd the notion to open up the search criteria to domestics. 1500 might fit your needs but just avoid certain years (07). F150s are decent, I've owned a couple and they would prob. be the cheapest of the bunch.

I've been looking for Tacoma's. Carmax at easton has a 2009. I had them ship it from another store. I took it for a test drive and decided to not buy it. I bet it is still on the lot. It was v6, 6 speed, 4wd, 83k miles. $20k

2nd the notion to open up the search criteria to domestics. 1500 might fit your needs but just avoid certain years (07). F150s are decent, I've owned a couple and they would prob. be the cheapest of the bunch.

I just started looking at problem years of Chevy models. I stayed away from looking because my buddy doing exactly what I'm looking at doing ended up with a 2500 dollar transmission rebuild in buttfuck Egypt. Came home with trans issues and had to get it fixed right when he returned.

I've been looking for Tacoma's. Carmax at easton has a 2009. I had them ship it from another store. I took it for a test drive and decided to not buy it. I bet it is still on the lot. It was v6, 6 speed, 4wd, 83k miles. $20k

Why did you not buy? Had 6ft bed? Buddy that worked at CarMax said to avoid a CarMax car if I can because they put cheap ass parts on if anything needs replaced.

I'm checking craigslist through auto tempest everyday searching for something. It's getting a bit old to find something and it's sold in 3 hours. I just don't have the free time to drive 400 miles any day I please.

Why did you not buy? Had 6ft bed? Buddy that worked at CarMax said to avoid a CarMax car if I can because they put cheap ass parts on if anything needs replaced.

I'm checking craigslist through auto tempest everyday searching for something. It's getting a bit old to find something and it's sold in 3 hours. I just don't have the free time to drive 400 miles any day I please.

It felt like the rotors were warped when I used the brakes. Also the belts were squeaking on idle non-stop. I drove it for 30 minutes and it felt solid otherwise. Not much rust on the frame either. It was extended cab with 4 doors but the back ones were the suicide doors. I think it was 6 foot bed. Pretty sure the normal size 4 door models are only 5 foot beds. A new 2016 is only $5-7k more depending on what you want. I didn't feel like it was worth my time and effort.

And yes CarMax is horrible with repairs. Even if you buy their Maxx protection plan it will take them weeks to fix something. My friend had that problem with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Id sell you my Tacoma

Mint condition - new frame last july from recall - 116k mi - Double Cab Short bed (I think?) - V6 - 4wd - Leveled - bed cover.

Im about to head out on tour for the summer.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=655&pictureid=8526

Should be bringing this home tomorrow after a final look over. 06 with 4x4 and 136k on it. Rear window rolls down so I can access the cab from the bed. Picture makes the bed look short. Dreading the 12hr drive ahead of me.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=655&pictureid=8526

Should be bringing this home tomorrow after a final look over. 06 with 4x4 and 136k on it. Rear window rolls down so I can access the cab from the bed. Picture makes the bed look short. Dreading the 12hr drive ahead of me.

Nice pickup! Good luck with that drive and the sub par stock speakers in the ceiling :p