BRZ Decisions... WWCRD?

Draco-REX

Picked up the BRZ today, and the engine failed again. Sounds like a rocker again. I give up.

How can I both love and hate a car so much at the same time?

What little I could drive it, I loved how it handled. I even caught myself just looking at it from different angles and loving how it looked. But if I can't keep it running, then none of that matters. It burns me that there are tons of these cars out there making more power and being driven harder without this issue. Something is wrong with my engine, but I can't keep throwing money away trying to find it. The next time I pay out has got to be the last time.

I have to make a decision. I've got a few ideas, and I wouldn't mind fielding others. A big part of this is deciding whether to keep the chassis, or go with a different car entirely. I keep thinking back to that one Corvette Troy event at Kilkare when the car was running perfectly and how incredible it was. I want that again, and the chassis was a big part of that. Can I get that with another car? Maybe. But it's hard to part with a known factor for a "maybe".

Going with a fully built engine is the first option that maintains the existing chassis. It'll be built from the ground up for the level of power I want (or more) and if there's a deeper issue with my particular engine, it shouldn't be present in the new one. But, there is an "if" and a "should" in that statement. The engine will have the same rocker design, so the same problem could happen again.

Pros:

Bolts right up

No new electronics

Cons:

Potential for the same issue

The other option that keeps the car is to swap to a different motor. If I were to go this route, the motor of choice would be a LS with a screaming 8K red line. I know a lot of LS people would say "Why?" I say "Because I want it to hit 8k." I think that would be a great match to the car. Vorschlag has been developing a LS swap kit for these cars that is very thorough. The end result is only a 100lb increase in weight, while improving the weight distribution at the same time. Unfortunately, the kit isn't finished. Vorschlag will be producing the hardware to physically swap the engine in, but tuning and BCM integration is up to the buyer. It's been done, so the solution is out there. But I worry about chasing electrical gremlins.

Pros:

More torque/power

A proven engine design

Probably the coolest option

Cons:

Swap kit isn't available

Potential for headaches/poor reliability.

A different, less modified, car is an option also. I could get a used engine, revert the car close to stock, then sell it and the parts to put towards something else. There are a few cars that are sparking my interest.

Late 90s Acura NSX. This car has grown on me in recent years. Light, nimble, and balanced are words I like.

Pros:

Might actually appreciate in value..

Excellent handling

Supercar looks/presence

Honda reliability

Cons:

Good ones are pricey

Almost no aftermarket

Honda S2000 CR. Not much to say about this car. It's pretty much the Honda version of the BRZ, less a back seat.

Pros:

Great handling

Low cost option

Honda reliability

Cons:

Like buying another BRZ

BMW M2. At 3400lbs it's the heavier option. But a nice car all around. Reviews have compared it favorably to the E30 and 1M. New would be nice, but the smart thing would be to wait a year or two for depreciation to hit, and I don't want to wait.

Pros:

New(er) car features/reliability

More power/torque

Legendary M driving manners

Cons:

Have to wait for them to hit the used market

Heavy

Corvette. It's an obvious option. Power, handling, etc. But I have to say it doesn't really excite me. The C7 is the generation I like the most. However, I don't seem to want one as much as when I first saw it. I'm not sure why. I've also looked at 911s which are just blah in my price range. And while I think an Exige S would be a fantastic replacement, they're just outside my budget.

I don't know. I'm just at a loss at this point so I'm just throwing idea around..

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend who's stock engine failed and he think it's the rockers as well but he isn't sure. He found a stock motor and just replaced the motor. It's a hard decision to make.

Since you asked my .02 is if you are having second thoughts about the car already, chasing a 8k rpm LS car would probably make you pull your hair out. You can't keep anything stock so I doubt the NSX is the ticket and a CR S2000 is just an older expensive BRZ.

A bolt on M2 seems like the best choice you provided. Honestly it seems like you enjoy unique stuff more than just capable cars so that throws the vette and 911 out. Try out a lotus Elise or other cars.

Anything can be done with money, your going to get every opinion there is on why every option is better than the other...

Personally it sounds like the brz engine scares you being a money pit. I say either build it from the ground up or get the car running and sell it to buy something else you want.

S2000. Yes it's a lot like the BRZ but you can make more power and you have that Honda reliability you mentioned. The chassis is second to none in my opinion, that car is absolute bliss to drive at the limit.

My buddy and I thoroughly abused his with a 2-driver season of autocross and he did numerous HPDE's with it, it never faltered once.

You would need a solid roller setup for an 8k LS motor. I don't see the appeal, you could make more power for the same $ with a lower redline. I'd swap the motor for a nice solid built 500whp NA ls3 based motor and smile ear to ear all day long having a fun reliable sports car.

I vote for the S2000 CR. I personally never see them on the road and I travel across 3 states all year. I think you can achieve what you want with the car and don't have to worry about the motor and aftermarket parts are pretty available for it.

Take it back to stock, enjoy it for a while, then dump it. You will have to do this anyways to sell so that is what I would do. If it fails again maybe you can lemon law the thing if you are patient.

There is no way I would keep the BRZ with that motor - would never trust it

As far as an 8k RPM LS, it's been done but given it is easy to get one to 7k, to me, it would not be worth it to have to upgrade all that you would need to for another 1000 RPM. I think an LS-powered BRZ would be unique enough without needing it to spin to 8k.

I'm not sure where you had the work done at but if you just picked up the car with the same issue wont they warranty it?

It sucks your having so many issues with the engine but I remember you were pushing it pretty hard. If you got a built engine will it come with re-worked heads also? (Ported, different valve springs... etc) The idea of an LS swap sounds pretty cool but will it fit, and what will it do to weight distribution? I don't maybe you should just get a Vette but you seem to really like the BRZ.

I vote to get an s2k, drive it this season, and if you still want an M2 or whatever at the end of the season the s2k is very easy to sell quick and depreciation will have taken a bite out of the BMW by then.

BRZ LOL

Sucks to hear man, so this is the 3rd engine failure in that car? You'd have better luck with an OMG IMS EXPLOSION CYLINDER SCORING COOLANT PIPE CRACKED HEAD CHUNKED CYLINDER 996 :gabe:

What is the budget? M2 is 60-70 with any options...I saw a nice NSX for sale the other day and it was listed at 70. C7 is gotta be 50-60-ish right? I'm really not sure that any of them give you the driving experience you are after without a good bit of money thrown at suspension...and probably pulling weight out of the M2.

But S2000 CR and other options seem much less expensive...so just trying to figure out what the budget really is. Side note...S2000 CR is an amazing driving experience but kinda slow.

Honestly....you sound like someone who needs to be driving a Porsche GT car not a regular 911

Holy hell man...

The obvious answer is GT350...

It'll be high 50s, but gets you 8k rpm v8, unique, and challenging platform.

It's totally different than a BRZ, large and heavy, but it's stock, mega aftermarket, and with your new found American love could be the answer.

Holy hell man...

It's totally different than a BRZ, large and heavy, but it's stock, mega aftermarket, and with your new found American love could be the answer.

GT350 all day every day.

Of what you listed I vote to build the S2000.

But I second the idea of the GT350 or even a Focus RS

Another consideration is the last gen Supra. Great reliability and that engine can really be built.

Holy hell man...

If he is worried about an M2 weighing 3400, I doubt a Mustang GT350 or a Camaro 1LE is a realistic option for him.

The other option that keeps the car is to swap to a different motor. If I were to go this route, the motor of choice would be a LS with a screaming 8K red line. I know a lot of LS people would say "Why?" I say "Because I want it to hit 8k." I think that would be a great match to the car. Vorschlag has been developing a LS swap kit for these cars that is very thorough. The end result is only a 100lb increase in weight, while improving the weight distribution at the same time. Unfortunately, the kit isn't finished. ..

How much does the LS weigh compared to the stock engine? Could change the handling dynamics that you love about the car

UGHHH.......

I wouldn't recommend it as a daily, but an Alfa Romeo 4C coupe seems right up your alley. Only drawback is no 3rd pedal option, but super lightweight, very outside the "norm", and you can talk to Eric at Crucial about power; I saw he'd had one of my clients' cars on the dyno recently.