T56 Guys - What Fluid?

Fubar231

Im reading in my owners manual for my 2000 Camaro SS that it says to use DEXROX III ATF, but i read online people are using synchromesh, and i read other people are using full synthetic, then i hear people saying some causes them issues while other people are using it... and its all getting confusing on what i should use.

Its a stock T56, and im going to be doing the rear end fluid and i was going to use Redline Syn 75w90 Gear Oil. Is that good for a stock 10 bolt?

Thanks for all the advice in advance,

Shane

I read all kinds of things when I was thinking of filling mine with royal purple. I chose to go with the manufacturer recommendation when I read about other fluids breaking down the backing plates(?) on the gears. It's been quite a while since I researched it though.

I opted for traditional in the differential also when I read about fluid so slippery that the clutches in the posi unit would slip and burn up.

With my RPM T56 and the Moser rear end I am running fully synthetic fluids.

The correct fluid is GM manual trans fluid, it came out in 2006 when GM updated all their ATF to Dex6. It's basically dex 3 replacement for manual trans cars. If you want to run synthetic use something specifically for manual trans requiring ATF, like RP syncromesh. You will get lots of opinions on the topic but GM says that synthetics don't make the syncros work properly. That's why they came out with the manual trans fluid, because dex 6 is synthetic. I run the Royal Purple syncromax without issue.

I read all kinds of things when I was thinking of filling mine with royal purple. I chose to go with the manufacturer recommendation when I read about other fluids breaking down the backing plates(?) on the gears. It's been quite a while since I researched it though.

I opted for traditional in the differential also when I read about fluid so slippery that the clutches in the posi unit would slip and burn up.

Don't you have a Wavetrac? Motul makes a specific fluid without LS additive specifically for that, in case you didn't know.

The paper blocker rings were on the early T56s. I have carbon blockers in mine so I wasn't worried about RP. You can't go wrong with dex 3 or GM manual trans fluid in a stock T56. My Vette is an early trans so it has the GM fluid in it.

Yeah i was reading about that, I read that 98 cars have Auburn rear's with Clutches but 99+'s have Torsen rears that dont have that issue?

Id prefer to run Amsoil or RP or Some type of Synthetic Synchromesh if people are running it with no issues.

I used Pennzoil synchromesh when I did mine last summer, feels smoother than the RP that was in it.

In cars that I've run Pennzoil synchromesh, I've had better luck than using RP, as well. Haven't been super thrilled with RP and how it's made my cars shift before.