Oil change question

mrbret

Time for my first oil change for my beastie (since i've had it anyway).

What is some good oil & filter to get from Iron Pony for my 03 Z1000 with under 4000 miles?

AND

Would I be able to use the same oil as above for my wife's 07 250 Ninja with 500 miles on it.

Definatly get the K&N. They have a 17mm nut attached to the filter and that right there makes it worth the couple extra dollars. As far as oil goes, I dont care what anyone says, Mobil1 Full Synthetic 4T Racing Oil (formally known as Mobil1 MX4T) is by FAR the best oil on the planet. It is expensive, but very worth it. I can get a decent price on it too if anyone wants a case of 6. Iron Pony charges about $12.50 a quart. I can get it for about $10.

Definatly get the K&N. They have a 17mm nut attached to the filter and that right there makes it worth the couple extra dollars. As far as oil goes, I dont care what anyone says, Mobil1 Full Synthetic 4T Racing Oil (formally known as Mobil1 MX4T) is by FAR the best oil on the planet. It is expensive, but very worth it. I can get a decent price on it too if anyone wants a case of 6. Iron Pony charges about $12.50 a quart. I can get it for about $10.

+1 However if you go to a united dairy farmer (mobil oil owns them)You can get that oil for $8.00 a quart...Same oil pony carries..MX4T Is the best buy far.

I guess it's all a personal thing, but I use regular old dino oil. I don't see the need to put in $10/qt. oil every 2500/3000 miles. It gets very expensive in a hurry. The performance of synth over 3000 miles vs. conventional oil (for the street) is not enough for the price of it in my opinion. As far as filters go....OEM for me all the way. I read an article where they tore apart OEM and aftermarket filters which pretty much put that debate to rest.

You're telling me that UDF has MX4T... Im calling bullshit on this, especially at $8 a quart... But still willing to check it out. Haha. im curious

I ran by UDF on my way home today since there's one near where I work. 6.99 a quart.

6exhizr.jpg

Ooo... the oil question... An endless source of debate on every motorcycle/car forum ever created...

My two cents...

Syn: Free's up HP, engine runs cooler, longer service intervals, do not use on an engine that is not well and fully broken in (I've read anywhere from 1,500 to 3k miles before switching).

Dino: Probably what your bike was designed to use. Cheap, works, cheap.

Filters: Check out some of the cheap knock off's... many of them are made by the big names (ie. the same damn thing - sometimes.)... Fram and it's knock off's have always done me well. As far as the K&N nut... surely makes life easier, but I have never met an oil filter that I couldn't get off by pounding a screwdriver through and using that as a lever. Quick and dirty, but effective.

That being said, once I hit around 3k miles I am switching to syn, just to free up a pony or two.

Does anybody really notice the one maybe two HP by using synth on the street? :dunno: Think about it, you'd spend $30 (given you get your synth from UDF (good catch Fusion)) each time you change you oil. If you're like most well minded owners you change it at 2500 mi. or sooner. And let say you really do ride you bike instead of posing in a parking lot with it. So that's about 3 oil changes a season, not to mention the oil change before and after storing it. So you're up to $90 a year for one or two HP. Keep that bike for a min. of three years and now you've spent $270. I can buy enough dino oil for $30 to change it 3 times a season. I'd rather spend that money on something that will get me more than one or two ponies.

Again, this is simply my opinion. You can agree with it or :thefinger: off. :D

Does anybody really notice the one maybe two HP by using synth on the street? :dunno: Think about it, you'd spend $30 (given you get your synth from UDF (good catch Fusion)) each time you change you oil. If you're like most well minded owners you change it at 2500 mi. or sooner. And let say you really do ride you bike instead of posing in a parking lot with it. So that's about 3 oil changes a season, not to mention the oil change before and after storing it. So you're up to $90 a year for one or two HP. Keep that bike for a min. of three years and now you've spent $270. I can buy enough dino oil for $30 to change it 3 times a season. I'd rather spend that money on something that will get me more than one or two ponies.

Again, this is simply my opinion. You can agree with it or :thefinger: off. :D

Probably not, but I know it's there... :grin:

Plus I guess since my bike is air-cooled the drop in temp will be nice...

And if I decide to keep my bike for 200,000 miles it could be worth it...

I am an ams-oil dealer and stand by synthetics all the way...except in my bike. I put synthetic in for my first change and (it was motorcycle formula) the clutch started acting funny so the next day i went and picked up some conventional motorcycle oil and it got better. I was talking to a buddy that has a 07 gsxr 1000 and his did same except he kept riding on it and it burnt the clutch up.

In the same i knoe other guys that use it with no prooblems.

Oil at UDF was $6.99. Cool stuff.

The guy did say they have had it on order for a couple of months & keep not getting any so perhaps they are fazing it out so get it while you still can.

Oil at UDF was $6.99. Cool stuff.

The guy did say they have had it on order for a couple of months & keep not getting any so perhaps they are fazing it out so get it while you still can.

Maybe they are trying to order MX4T and cant find it anymore. They changed the name to Racing 4T now. That could be the problem? :dunno:

I am an ams-oil dealer and stand by synthetics all the way...except in my bike. I put synthetic in for my first change and (it was motorcycle formula) the clutch started acting funny so the next day i went and picked up some conventional motorcycle oil and it got better. I was talking to a buddy that has a 07 gsxr 1000 and his did same except he kept riding on it and it burnt the clutch up.

In the same i knoe other guys that use it with no prooblems.

You are not supposed to use a full syn for the first 3-5k for that very reason. The Racing 4T is a special formula anyway to help avoid the clutch slipping. I guess they dont have too many problems with it

Since 1974 I've never had an engine fail due to oil. As a matter of fact, I've never lost an engine period. If you change your oil and filter every three thousand miles it's going to be a happy bike no matter what you put in it. I'm a dino so I put dino in it. The filters, yeah, they're probabaly Fram I'd be lying if I swore by it though.

Pops

i saw the 4t at the advance right next to iron pony for under 4 bucks per quart. pissed me off cause i had just bought 2 quarts at the iron pony ripoff special price.

btw, the only filter in stock at iron pony for the 250 is the fram, so i wouldnt worry about looking for the K&N one.

i saw the 4t at the advance right next to iron pony for under 4 bucks per quart. pissed me off cause i had just bought 2 quarts at the iron pony ripoff special price.

btw, the only filter in stock at iron pony for the 250 is the fram, so i wouldnt worry about looking for the K&N one.

That sucks man! I have done that before, not on the oil tho...