Student loans

smokin5s

Have you done a FAFSA yet? Typically that is your starting point because it looks for grants and government backed stuff. Its sort of an all in one deal. Outside of that you will probably have to look at private lenders like Sallie Mae and banks.

There's a guy on my hockey team who's going through something similar with his daughter. She wanted to go to an expensive school (Case Western) for pre-med to eventually become a surgeon. He said that's fine but if you change majors I'm not helping with any costs. To him it was all about his return on investment in her future. If she changes her major to Interpretive Dance Theory then his ROI is shit, and who knows if 1. she'll be able to get a job out of college or 2. even be able to make a career out of it her new major.

You can look at it the same way, if you know she has the inclination to be lazy then your ROI in her education will be shit. Who's to say you cosign for a $10,000 loan and she drops out 6 months in or spend HALF of that JUST on living expenses or a new TV for her and her bf's new apartment together?

Just something to think about it, i hope you the best.

And I totally agree with not letting the boyfriend live in your home. WTF were they thinking when they asked that?

Thanks, unfortunately, I'm the bad guy in this whole thing but I'm not gonna allow it to happen.

Anyone know where any good resources are to get student loans? My daughter wants to go to college but also wants to live on her own (to live with her significant other which I'm not ok with her significant other living under my roof sharing a room with her). I've heard of people who get loans that also help with rent, etc... Normally I would say go to the guidance counselors like I remember doing when I was younger but the school she's wanting to go to said they don't really have an options for student loans. She wants to do cosmetology, but we are finding financial assistance difficult. Especially with my current salary. Any recommendations of where we can look?

Vote for Bernie and all her expenses will be covered. /thread

Have you done a FAFSA yet? Typically that is your starting point because it looks for grants and government backed stuff. Its sort of an all in one deal. Outside of that you will probably have to look at private lenders like Sallie Mae and banks.

What's this and how do we do it?

There's a guy on my hockey team who's going through something similar with his daughter. She wanted to go to an expensive school (Case Western) for pre-med to eventually become a surgeon. He said that's fine but if you change majors I'm not helping with any costs. To him it was all about his return on investment in her future. If she changes her major to Interpretive Dance Theory then his ROI is shit, and who knows if 1. she'll be able to get a job out of college or 2. even be able to make a career out of it her new major.

You can look at it the same way, if you know she has the inclination to be lazy then your ROI in her education will be shit. Who's to say you cosign for a $10,000 loan and she drops out 6 months in or spend HALF of that JUST on living expenses or a new TV for her and her bf's new apartment together?

Just something to think about it, i hope you the best.

She wouldn't do that. Honestly, it's more about I can't afford to do that for her. Without going into details, we have a TON of medical debt.

ya, I googled it after posting. She said that she filled it out, but then when I asked her more questions about it, she acted like she didn't know what I was talking about so I don't think that she really did.

ya, I googled it after posting. She said that she filled it out, but then when I asked her more questions about it, she acted like she didn't know what I was talking about so I don't think that she really did.

I believe that this is required to be filed out for all colleges isn't it? It determines how much aid you qualify for.

Anyone know how to get around putting in my salary for FAFSA? She doesn't live with me anymore, but it's wanting my financial info which will totally screw her when it comes to grants.

It used to be required info even if you aren't contributing a dime (or even a penny) to her tuition.

Anyone know how to get around putting in my salary for FAFSA? She doesn't live with me anymore, but it's wanting my financial info which will totally screw her when it comes to grants.

Do you claim her? If so i would imagine you would have to, if you don't i would guess leave it blank since shes on her own and your income doesn't matter?

I know i didnt put my mothers income on there because she didnt claim me and she wasent paying for me.

If you claimed her in the year before (2015 in this case) your income must be entered, iirc.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/filling-out/dependency#live-on-own

What if I don’t live with my parents?

You still must answer the questions about your parents if you’re considered a dependent student.

What if my parents aren’t going to help me pay for college and refuse to provide information for my FAFSA®?

You can’t be considered independent of your parents just because they refuse to help you with this process. If you do not provide their information on the FAFSA, the application will be considered “rejected,” and you might not be able to receive any federal student aid. The most you would be able to get (depending on what the financial aid office at your college decides) would be a loan called an unsubsidized loan. The FAFSA will tell you what to do if you are in this situation. Learn more about how to fill out the FAFSA when your parents aren’t supporting you and won’t provide their information.

Edited by damreds

Do you claim her? If so i would imagine you would have to, if you don't i would guess leave it blank since shes on her own and your income doesn't matter?

I know i didnt put my mothers income on there because she didnt claim me and she wasent paying for me.

We have not claimed her since she was under the age of 17. When we had our taxes done for 2014, she had turned 17, so our CPA said we no longer get a child credit... we did not claim her for 2014 or 2015.

We are trying to fill it out online and it's not letting her not put my salary in.

Serious question...and i'm not trying to start sh*t; but you stated she is lazy, and apparently lies. Why the fk would you want any financial connection to this? If she is a big girl, wants to live the big girl adult life...then she can put herself through school and not burden you.

Our society has done a great job at convincing parent's it's their responsibility to pay for some or all of their kid's after-hs-education. :(

Serious question...and i'm not trying to start sh*t; but you stated she is lazy, and apparently lies. Why the fk would you want any financial connection to this? If she is a big girl, wants to live the big girl adult life...then she can put herself through school and not burden you.

Our society has done a great job at convincing parent's it's their responsibility to pay for some or all of their kid's after-hs-education. :(

Where did I say I was paying her education? I think I've said the exact opposite. But I will help her if I can, and help is also helping her get her financial aid in order. I paid my own way through school and I think that's a good thing considering I remember seeing kids in school that got a free ride from their parents didn't take school nearly as seriously as I did.

We have not claimed her since she was under the age of 17. When we had our taxes done for 2014, she had turned 17, so our CPA said we no longer get a child credit... we did not claim her for 2014 or 2015.

We are trying to fill it out online and it's not letting her not put my salary in.

This is my experience as well. All income must be listed - no matter what the financial contribution will be.

This is my experience as well. All income must be listed - no matter what the financial contribution will be.

That is just insane to me. If the parent is not paying the kid's tuition, what the parents make is no one's business.

http://www.collegescholarships.org/grants/beauty.htm

http://beautyschools.org/careers-in-beauty/grants_scholarships/

http://www.studentgrants.org/beauty-school/

http://www.collegesanddegrees.com/programs/cosmetology/scholarships-grants

All with a quick google search of Grants for Cosmetology

http://www.beautyschoolsdirectory.com/faq/howpay.php

if she's going to work at any of the bigger salons and make some REAL money- she needs to go to somehwere like Aveda, Paul Mitchell or somwhere they teach GOOD techniques, not just the getting by techniques.

As someone who spends a rediculous amout of money per instance on her hair.. I can tell you this much.. It pays to have a good degree, so i can walk away feeling great about my hair.

Have her Call Kenneths or Penzones and ask to speak to a director and get some direction on where a salon like that would look for schooling from and what they want out of thier employees.

probably wouldnt hurt for her to get a job at one of the bigger salons too so she can see what working in that field is like.

good luck with this. my sister went to Paul Mitchell and got a job at a salon for a couple years not making squat, so she quit. another girl I know went there and now works at great clips.

so many girls want to go to cosmetology school but so few make it in to the big name salons. they all seem to think that's where they're going to land though.