Upgrading the wife's car

The_buster

She has decided on either a forester or outback, depending on how she likes ride quality. What are the main differences between the two? All I can tell is the outback seems a bit bigger...

The Outback is based on the Legacy Platform, so it is basically a lifted legacy wagon, unless you are talking about the impreza based impreza outback sports made from 1994-2011. Until recently the outback was a trim on the legacy and could at various times be had in sedan and wagon, now it looks to be the name for all legacy wagons and the legacy is just the sedan models.

The forrester is based on the impreza platform but is not a "lifted" impreza like the crosstrek is. The body is a big SUV/high roof wagon that has more room than the standard impreza wagon.

From a car guy perspective - the only one of the two that can be had with a manual is the Forrester but that is only in the 148hp non turbo trim, which to me isn't worth it. You can get the Forrester with the 250hp WRX turbo engine (XT trim) but only the CVT, which is still better than the outback's top engine - the 176 hp 3.6L flat six which gets at most 27mpg highway. There are older Forrester XT manuals around but they are rare.

since it is for the wife, have her drive it and see if she likes it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all input and opinions. I have been middle man relaying info back and forth, when she does actually put forth an opinion other than "I don't care". This is strictly the wifes car and there will be no modding it, maybe some different rims she really wants pink rims.

For our situation which would be the better option? It would be her daily work car, as of right now its a ~10 minute drive, and then we would be using it for road trips and for dance competitions which are out of state. Example is, regional's were in Cleveland and nationals this year are in Tennessee. Usually nationals are in Florida, which we would probably fly.

From a car guy perspective - the only one of the two that can be had with a manual is the Forrester but that is only in the 148hp non turbo trim, which to me isn't worth it.

This isn't true.

The outback could be had in manual with the 2.5 until the most recent, current body style (2015 I think).

Also the Forester never had the new 2.0 with 148hp, that's only in the Crosstrek XV, which can be had in CVT or manual.

The Foresters can and always have been offered in manuals, but use the 2.5.

Edited by Aaron