Cordless Impacts: What To Get?

wagner

I have a 20volt brushless DeWalt impact and honestly, I don't like it as much... it just spins too fast and strips a lot of screws... believe it or not, my 20volt black and decker impact is the best impact that I've had.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one I have does 700lb.ft tightening, while the one you have there is only good for like 210lb.ft.

I have a 1/2" 20v Dewalt I like, works on lug nuts; and I also have a 1/4" makita that is awesome for all kinds of projects, both cars and home improvement.

I use the 1/4 driver makita everyday at work on damn near everything. Love that tool

FYI, Dewalt really isn't a 20V. Drops to 16 as soon as you put a load on it.

Milwaukee M18 all the way.

The Metabo units are nice too.

Check out coptool.com for a heads up comparison.

Snap On LOL

Come visit me Wags. I'll show you the ways of the Impacts.

I had no idea you deal tools now. I may give you a call in the future when I get an impact.

FYI, Dewalt really isn't a 20V. Drops to 16 as soon as you put a load on it.

Milwaukee M18 all the way.

The Metabo units are nice too.

Check out coptool.com for a heads up comparison.

Snap On LOL

Come visit me Wags. I'll show you the ways of the Impacts.

Yep. Dewalt is a bunch of fucking crooks.

Also check out other vids on this channel. Dude is funny as hell.

My dad bought me a ToolShop brand impact from Menards for christmas. I use it everyday at work taking off tires and even suspension bolts. Its an 18 volt 1/2 inch drive. He bought a combo kit which included 3 flip sockets and a flashlight that uses the same battery, as well as a carrying bag and charger.

My dad bought me a ToolShop brand impact from Menards for christmas. I use it everyday at work taking off tires and even suspension bolts. Its an 18 volt 1/2 inch drive. He bought a combo kit which included 3 flip sockets and a flashlight that uses the same battery, as well as a carrying bag and charger.

Cool story, I will see you in 3 days when you take back your recommendation because it is broke.

I had no idea you deal tools now. I may give you a call in the future when I get an impact.

Yeah, I made the jump a few months ago, never looked back. My life is infinitely better since making the change.

Hmm. Interesting info in this thread. I loved my Dewalt, but maybe I should go Milwaukee or IR. I just bought the Milwaukee electric ratchet. It's great, but feels very plastic..

IR's are nice, but bloody heavy. The backwards angle of the Impact head almost makes up for in regards to wielding it around.

I've got a Milwaukee that bought when I was towing semi trucks. Used it everyday to pull axles out of big trucks and the only time it needed help was those days it was -30. It's my favorite tool in the garage

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Useful info

If the 20w DeWalt is cheaoer than the 18w Mil, which is the better deal?

To answe OP:

I use power tools daily. I make a living doing such. I recommend for impact drivers, in this order, and this is just me so YMMV:

Milwaukee

Ridgid (Almost all I use due to an awesome warranty program)

Makita (possibly above Ridgid, but without the warranty)

DeWalt or Bosch

Everything else LOL

Growing up I was taught that DeWalt was amazing. It was, and still is pretty good. I own some DeWalt tools. Since I've switched primarily to Ridgid on the recommendation of 3 coworkers I haven't looked back.

Again, just my thoughts. YMMV.

I use the 1/4 driver makita everyday at work on damn near everything. Love that tool

Yeah, my 1/4" makita gets used to drive screws on wood projects, and removing nuts and bolts on car projects ALL the time.

And I am totally surprised by the battery life I get out of these things considering the amount of load I put on them. (I have a Makita drill too.)

That 1/4" impact is probably one of the most all round, effective tools I have.

I have Snap-On 1/2" and 3/8, both have got the job done for me here at the dealership when we lost power. I used the 1/2 to do a transmission swap in 3.2TL, I recently bought a Matco 3/8 and it's impressive too. It really depends on how much you wanna spend. Note: DeWalt and Mac Tools batteries are interchangeable within their cordless power tools.

I have this unit...and it's better than i expected it to be. HOWEVER...it won't do big stuff. It'll take off wheels and tires up to about 110 ft / lbs. but that's the limitation.

You can almost always find a way to buy it with coupons and sales for like $80...and the extra batteries are $15. Of the cheap units it's actually my favorite.

I have to borrow my brother's M18 unit to do axle nuts and bigger jobs though.

I have this unit...and it's better than i expected it to be. HOWEVER...it won't do big stuff. It'll take off wheels and tires up to about 110 ft / lbs. but that's the limitation.

You can almost always find a way to buy it with coupons and sales for like $80...and the extra batteries are $15. Of the cheap units it's actually my favorite.

I have to borrow my brother's M18 unit to do axle nuts and bigger jobs though.

Did you get the weaker one? I saw two versions, one is like 150ftlbs and the other is 330ftlbs. I love mine and I haven't had anything it won't break loose, yet. Hard to beat for the money, regardless!

Did you get the weaker one? I saw two versions, one is like 150ftlbs and the other is 330ftlbs. I love mine and I haven't had anything it won't break loose, yet. Hard to beat for the money, regardless!

Yeah it's the good one. I've been through two of them over the last 6 years. It fits my use case. I can throw it around changing tires at the track and not really worry about it. But having used the M18 it's absolutely better but still tough to justify the price in my opinion.

The ultimate test for the M18 will be of it will remove the center locks on the turbo. If it will I'll buy one.

You realize this is no battery ($75) and no charger ($30) and no super coupon... So rigid at $235 or HF at $105.

Yeah. So you can pay a decent price for one that actually works AND comes with a LIFETIME warranty, or you can not get the Ridgid. Not my monies. Whatever.

Yeah it's the good one. I've been through two of them over the last 6 years.

Thanks for proving my previous statement/post with your own reply.

Ridgid goes bad? Send it in. HF goes bad? Tough shit. Buy another one and now you're over the price of a good one.

Don't get me wrong. I have recently purchased a couple things from HF, but when my livelihood/income depends on it, I'm not going with a knock off.

YMMV. Not my cash. I don't care.

EDIT: also, the batt's don't cost as much as you have implied.

$99 for a 2 pack

Yeah. So you can pay a decent price for one that actually works AND comes with a LIFETIME warranty, or you can not get the Ridgid. Not my monies. Whatever.

You're correct...I wasn't considering the value of the warranty. But I'm seeing 3 year warranty not lifetime.

Don't get me wrong. I have recently purchased a couple things from HF, but when my livelihood/income depends on it, I'm not going with a knock off.

Again...understood. My livelihood doesn't depend on my tools. I'm pretty sure I stated above that the HF was a good fit for my particular use case. I then went on to explain it's shortcomings in my opinion and how I'm looking to purchase a better unit to work with the wheels on my new car. The first one lasted 4 years and I've had my current unit for 2 years. For someone who doesn't depend on these things on a daily basis I still stand by my opinion that it's a good bargain option.

Reading through the comments, there is a wide variety of opinion, info and options. Wags, get your hands on these tools and see how you like the fit and feel. Get the quality you feel comfortable with, at the price you can justify. I'm rotating tires and doing oil changes often throughout the year. Add to that the steal roof we just put on, which was several hundred screws. I upgraded my 1/2 impact and impact driver this year, to get a life time warranty and better fit and quality. I also took into consideration to keep all the power tools the same make, for easy swapping of the batteries.

If you are being cost conscious, I have pick things up here in the past and have had no issues with the refurbished items. Although, they will only have a one year warranty. They have a store at the Jefferson outlet mall. https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/categories/power-tools

If you are looking to just do tire changes at the track, at home, traveling or local, where are you getting a replacement if you break it? There is a Home Depot almost everywhere to replace a Ridgid tool. The other companies mentioned do have great products. I just had a hard time finding one that beat the life time warranty and ease of replacement for the price and quality.