A good house wife knows her place!

jessecwalters

Yes, and that's the way it should be. But neither one income in an average family can do it alone anymore. I say we've been taken. You'd think with potentially twice as many people working, that everything would cost less. What do I know, I was good at statistics, not economics. Somehow I think we've been set up to generate more money and spend it. If the world economy changed that much in 50 years, in a natural normal way, we're in trouble.

What can I say, I enjoy a good conspiracy theory, even if I have to start it myself.

Interesting.... guess I never really thought of it that way.... Guess it's our insatiable, ever-growing appetite as Americans for THINGS and STUFF and CONSUMABLES

In our parents'/grandparents' day' date=' they either paid cash or did without. We don't follow the same fiscal standards.[/quote']

Indeed, that is the key element. And I suppose that growth made this country what it is today, for better or worse. But what comes next. Or does it really matter. (Insert image of apocalypse Mad Max or Terminator world here)

In our parents'/grandparents' day' date=' they either paid cash or did without. We don't follow the same fiscal standards.[/quote']

It's the truth!

But now? hell.. we have ten times more useless crap to buy and maintain, all of it too expensive to buy in one sitting

I was Comp Acc in Spfld recently, and they were talkin' bout they could get me financed for a bike. By the time it's paid for, I would end up paying triple what it's worth so no thanks, I'll pass LOL and speed off on a paid-for bike I found on craigslist:motorcycle:

Don't forget that the entire 1950's thing first posted, was an invention of advertising and consumerism in the first place. Entirely artificial for the benefit of others who wanted our money. And nothing has really changed, as far as I can see. Some one always wants our money, and goes to great extremes to get it.