Where to live on the North side?

Got-Boost?

May have an opportunity to move back to Ohio and looking for an area on the North side. I've got three small children so schools are key. We may not have time to buy right off so may have to rent an apartment until we finalize where we want to be or what we want.

Anyone have any recommendations on areas? Schools? Places to look at or stay away from? Any two or three bedroom apartments that are newer with garages?

Thank you!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What ages/grades?

Probably most other answers here are going to be wherever someone lives or grew up that's a north side burb. Basically everyone is going to say you have to live in one of the burbs to get good schools, which for elementary school is rubbish. Especially if you only plan to rent for a few years while resettling and getting ready to buy. I live in Clintonville and love it. We don't have to worry about the schools, kids thing though, so buying here for the long term was a good choice for us; much less expensive than many other inner city burbs or nicer inner city areas.

I think Zillow has school ratings of the local schools if you find any home around a target area. They seem to use data from http://www.GreatSchools.org

Just as an example, for Worthington elementary schools 1 is a 10/10, 2 are 7's and 2 are 5's. Then in Clintonville, which is Columbus Public, we have 1 at 9/10, a 7 and 2 rated at 5. Just examples of, if you do your research and it make sense, you don't have to be in a 'suburb' school district.

Anecdotally, especially middle school and a little less so high school is where things fall apart for Columbus Public.

Also, how well off are you and how many kids do you have? It could make sense to buy in Columbus proper and send the kids to private schools, even if just in middle and high school. For example, how much more will you paying for a house and taxes long term in the burbs VS sending 2 kids to private schools for 7 year? Of course these are just rhetorical questions, no reason to answer them directly.

Just throwing some different ideas out there to think about.

Edited by Trouble Maker

Lewis center/Olentangy/anything north up to the Delaware line,schools great homes great the only minus is traffic.

Delaware would be a option too less expensive and could be a better buy price wise and not too far away from all the good stuff

North Westerville is great too used to live in Amherst,older community mature trees,I have seen properties go on the market and be sold in 1 day.

Good luck.

We live in Little Turtle and love it. stuck between westerville and New Albany. We have one kid in school at Central College Christian Acedemy. Great private school!

I would look in New Albany/Worthington/Lewis Center/Westerville.

Depends on where you commute too. As you know you can't really go wrong anywhere on the north end. Personally I'd suggest Tuttle. It has the least traffic of all the north end exists, their are tons of houses/condos/apts that give you access to the highway in about 2 minutes, it's Dublin schools, but alot cheaper then living more North, and everything + the mall is there so it's everything you need.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I grew up in Lewis Center (right down the road from Shanahan middle school) and it was great. Always quiet, farm fields all around (though last time I was through there it looks like they are being sold off), kinda country but everything was close. Olentangy schools was a blue ribbon school when I was going there if that counts for anything for you. As others have mentioned, Westerville and Worthington are great places to live as well.

We live by Tuttle in a neighborhood that is Columbus, so we pay less tax, but we have access to Hilliard schools. There's also a neighborhood across the river that is also Columbus, but busses to Dublin schools. It's the best of both worlds to us and we do love our neighborhood despite what's going on right now. The houses aren't insanely expensive either.

I grew up in Durbington area (Dublin/worthington) and it was great. What brian said is true, north of 70 and outside the outerbelt and you're good. Probably the only exception is UA, Grandview, Bexley but you said north Cbus.

Dublin schools are great but with that comes insane taxes, same with Powell. Westerville is a good compromise. Ideally you'd like to find a home with Cbus taxes and Dublin/worthington/westerville schools.

Southern Delaware county. You have several good school options from Big Walnut, Olentangy which are very good, Buckeye Valley is okay too, I am not basis since I am a BV grad, but live in the BW district. Overall, we have been pretty happy with the BW district.

Depends on where you commute too. As you know you can't really go wrong anywhere on the north end. Personally I'd suggest Tuttle. It has the least traffic of all the north end exists, their are tons of houses/condos/apts that give you access to the highway in about 2 minutes, it's Dublin schools, but alot cheaper then living more North, and everything + the mall is there so it's everything you need.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Be careful about Tuttle. I live there now and recently the Hilliard and Dublin neighborhoods had the school districts redrawn to exclude a large number of the apartment complexes here because people in apts don't pay property taxes. So some apartments are still Dublin or Hilliard schools and some are back to Cbus schools.

Other than that we love the area. Wife and I both have reverse commutes so never any traffic (she works downtown and I work at Easton).

I suggest 161 and Cleveland intersection area of town...

Cheap rents probably and always entertaining. No need to watch Cops on the TV, just go outside and watch the live action show from your doorstep!

I grew up in Lewis Center (right down the road from Shanahan middle school) and it was great. Always quiet, farm fields all around (though last time I was through there it looks like they are being sold off), kinda country but everything was close. Olentangy schools was a blue ribbon school when I was going there if that counts for anything for you. As others have mentioned, Westerville and Worthington are great places to live as well.

There is nothing country about lewis center anymore. That field across from your house is now crammed full of houses.

Thanks for all the info everyone. We are doing our best in the time we have to see if it all works out. So far we are looking in Olentangy, New Albany, and I think Big Walnut. Hard to find many apartments that meet our requirements and in one of those areas. Maybe we can find a short term lease until we can search the area for homes.

Yeah, you might actually have more luck with a rental home if you aren't finding what you want where you want in an apartment?

It seems like Craigslist can actually be a pretty good resource for finding individuals renting homes.

Rental and buying market is hot right now, not as much inventory as a prospective buyer/renter would want, good luck.

As long as your are not Columbus Schools you're fine. Clintonville area is great for elementary and ok for high school, not sure what happened when it came to middle school for the area.

Personally I would try to figure out what school district I want my kids to go to and search from there. I would hate to move them to a new state and then in a year or two move them to a completely new district and have them make friends all over again.

Anyone up by Polaris Pkwy? East side of 71 an apartment complex called The Ravines at Westar? Anyone know of it or anyone living there?

The Ravines at Westar

799 Warwick Drive, Westerville, OH 43082

Berkeley Park at New Albany

5185 Sulgrave Dr, New Albany, OH 43054

Also, looking at I believe 161 and Hamilton Rd area...

The Estates at New Albany

4701 Rexwood Drive, Columbus, OH 43230

Just a few so far but looking. Didn't know if anyone had any thoughts on those two areas or apartments.. :thumbup:

Edited by Got-Busa?