Starting Issues (This is a good one)

dorifto240

Alright, I've been having issues with starting my bike. As in, it won't.

Here's the run down thus far:

I've got a fully charged battery and a new relay, but when I attempt to start the bike I just hear the relay click. Occasionally the starter motor will turn once, and then nothing.

I've checked the resistance in the all the lines from the battery to the starter motor. I've pulled and tested the starter motor and it runs up fine. There is fuel in the carbs and I don't have the kill switch in the "kill" position.

Any suggestions? Could my motor have seized up?

The engine has to turn first, before a spark will do any good. As old as the bike is, I would check the chassis ground, on the negative side of the battery, where it bolts onto the frame. Make sure it's clean and working. Then start checking all the circuits related to the starter.

Does the lights flicker when you jiggle the key? It might be the ignition switch. Try jiggling the key as you try to start. Slim chance of finding the problem that quick, but you never know till you try.

edit: a good fully charged battery is at least 14.5 volts.

Edited by ReconRat

I'm with Schmuckingham it sounds like the starter. Tap it with the handle of a screwdriver while pressing the start button.

Done that. No luck, the engine won't turn over