21P - new yorker

Jackson1647545504

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/the-slippery-appeal-of-the-biggest-new-band-in-america

Last summer, pop radio began playing a fiendish earworm about two young men who feared the ordinary demands of adulthood. A year later, those men have become the biggest new band in America. You may not be familiar with Twenty One Pilots—they’re a slippery phenomenon, selling out arenas while remaining nearly invisible to those outside their active fan base—but you’d know the hook of “Stressed Out” if you heard it: the song has enjoyed non-stop airplay for almost a year. Tyler Joseph, the twenty-seven-year-old vocalist and songwriter for the band, composes in hooks; his melodies sound like bar darts swooping toward a bull’s-eye, and the “Stressed Out” chorus is as bright as its minor key will allow. “If we could turn back time,” Joseph sings, “to the good old da-ays, when our mama sang”—and here’s where your ears might prick up in recognition—“us to sleep, but now we’re stressed out.”

Joseph merely had to glance at a section of the crowd and they’d shriek wildly; when he and Dun saluted their longtime tour manager with a plaque and a selfie, a girl in the section beside me did rap hands and cried.

yep.

They are by far my favorite group. To appreciate them, you need to listen to the songs multiple times. Of course, if their music doesn't appeal to you at first listen, you wouldn't be likely to listen over and over. There's a lot of teenage angst in there, but there's some pretty deep stuff, too. Yet, they've avoided a lot of the gimmicks that make songs popular. I've been to two of their concerts, and they were the best of my life. And yeah, I'm old enough to have seen many of the great bands live.

I have kids that listen to Radio Disney constantly and they play those two songs of theirs non-stop. I bet I have heard those two songs over a hundred times a piece. The "Oh, oh, I'm falling, so I'm taking my time on my riiiiiiide", OMG I want to stab my ears. I feel like they should be this decades "Nickelback".