4 post lift help

smokin5s

Not sure if this is the right section for this or not. I got my 4 post lift put together last night and it raised fine. But when I go to lower it, one post goes half way down and then it sticks. The cables are all set to the correct length and using a level, everything is level... This lift does not require being bolted to the floor so it is not. I've tried spraying liquid lubricant inside the post, I've even tried a little grease. I have a feeling that something isn't setting plum once it gets to a certain height but from everything I can tell, it all seems right and leveled. Any help would be appreciated.

I did... lock is pulled all the way back. I even tried pulling on it by hand... I can lift it up and it will go up and then slide backdown until it gets to that point. I noticed the stop ladders were bent a little bit. It looks like it has plenty of play to bend back as the track slides down it. I guess I could try to get another set of hands to help try to push that ladder a bit as the lift goes down to see if maybe that would help although I'm pretty sure it has enough room there.

The curvature in the lock ladder matters very little. The sliding plastic block follows a much more rigid path (column interior) and the ladder "straightens up" when the block is in its vicinity.

There is a possibility that the column is not perfectly sitting straight. Can you install the casters, lower the lift until all of the columns off the floor, and then raise the lift slowly while watching that the pads/feet sitting flat on the floor?

The curvature in the lock ladder matters very little. The sliding plastic block follows a much more rigid path (column interior) and the ladder "straightens up" when the block is in its vicinity.

There is a possibility that the column is not perfectly sitting straight. Can you install the casters, lower the lift until all of the columns off the floor, and then raise the lift slowly while watching that the pads/feet sitting flat on the floor?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean? The wheel casters that it comes with that allow it to move connect to the ramps themselves so the lift has to be in the downward position. My buddy and I got it to lower down one more spot on the ladder locks by wedging a crow bar and pulling down. When it let loose the crowbar went flying and we think he broke his finger so that's not really a good idea to try anymore. It does feel like it's really tight where the ladder locks are. I was able to look in there and the locks are pulling out completely so it's not the lock being engaged but I'm not sure that it's not still catching and pushing pressure on the lock ladders.

Pics? Seems like if it gets caught at the same point Everytime, it should be pretty easy to see what changes at that point. I know these things can be goofy.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You can see in this picture where I think things are rubbing causing it to stick if you look at the ladder lock... Keep in mind, this is only going up and down once. The rub marks are where we broke it loose tonight and got down one run before it stuck again.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj196/smokin5s/20160905_212222_zpsh3l8fzwr.jpghttp://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj196/smokin5s/lift1_zps2pkfj1aj.jpghttp://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj196/smokin5s/lift3_zpsxunqkygc.jpg

Please excuse the mess of the garage... moving things around to get all the insulation in as well as have enough room to build the lift with multiple ATV's, cars, and mowers makes it easy to have a mess on your hands quick.

I've had my 4-post for years and installed in 3 different garages. I don't think the locking pawls have made scrape marks as clear as yours on my ladders in all this time. I think yours need to be adjusted. If you unbolt the ladder...make sure you support the weight at that corner with a jack. Take a close look and compare the whole assembly around the pawls to the other 3. Check that cable to make sure there aren't any spurs and the blocks it passes through look the same as the others.

Another thought...the posts don't have to be plumb really...doesn't matter until they are way off and the symptom resulting will not be what you you have. However, you need to make sure you are level when all 4 corners are resting on the ladders AND all 4 corners are supported by cables. The result should be that all 4 lock at almost the same time while you are lifting. I always install the ladders so that the natural curve bends TOWARDS the center of the lift. I wouldn't reverse them.

Post a closer pick with the cover open of the corner in question if you have a chance.

They are all completely level with each other and lock at the same time going up as you hear the distinct clank noise as they pop into position and you see the unlock bar pop into place.

I went to take the cover off last night, but I can't as the pulley is run through it as well and that would require being unbolted and that's pretty much what's holding that corner up. I don't have a lack that will get as high as you're asking. The only thing I could possibly do is stick a 2x4 under it to prop it up. (I was planning on allowing the cable to support the weight though and just try to bring it down with the ladder not bolted in... it's only 1 bolt holding the whole thing in the first place)

The natural curve of it is bending inwards currently, that's how I did all 4 posts. I was thinking that would help with making sure that the locks engage.

I just spoke with their tech support and he said even though the cables seem tight, tighten it a little more... said there's another locking mechanism in there that if the cables aren't completely tight that it will lock the lift from going down as well. I'm going to try that tonight and will post up results.

I figured I should post this up now as well... I was thinking that a winch or something would be great to put on the front of the 4 post lift so that I can easily pull a car up on the ramps... the question is, has anyone done this or know how? I don't really want to weld a rail across the front as I want it to be adjustable height wise. The only thing I can think of is just get a steal beam the length of the width of the lift and then mount a winch on it so that it can't pass through the 2 front posts and then can pull a car up that way... that seems like alot of work though and would prefer and easier way if possible.

ok, taking the cable and pulling it in seemed to do the trick to lower it. I tightened the cable as much as I could but it still sticks. I ended up having to take a zip tie to hold the cable back. This is obviously something I don't want to do. Any ideas on how to get that cable tighter?

Did you get it sorted out? I really like the compact size of this lift

yup... and right now, they have 0% interest for 12 months as well as a bunch of extras (wheel casters, jack tray, drip pans). I moved it tonight with the dolly's very easily. I still need to get some adjustments worked out but the adjustments are because they take extra precautions to make sure that safety is key for them.

ya, I'm now contemplating a new way to do it, plus the ramps sit so low, it might not even be a big deal if I need to push a car on it.

I also wanted to mention, as soon as I had a car on the lift, it lowered exactly as expected without having to pull on the cable.