I did a bad thing at Mid Ohio

GGEvo

This is exactly why I didn't have the Stealth out there this year, rolled the dice far too many times last year and with the brake line explosion slowing down from the back stretch it really rocked me how quickly I could have destroyed that car (and me)! Looks like you were able to bleed off most of your speed from the photos, could have been far worse. Glad you are OK, I'm sure quite a bit shaken but as others have said live and learn from the experience.

First time out on the track at Mid-Ohio it really gives a whole different feeling of what speed is and how to control your ride. Good luck with insurance!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Park it at Easton, go to a movie, come out and gasp at what happened while you were away......call the cops.

I filed a claim this morning, explained that I was at a drivers school with an instructor and shit just went wrong and I spun out into the wall. Gave her Jason at Auto Interests contact info and she said they will send someone out to look at it, so I'll know my fate by the end of the week hopefully. Jason has the signed incident report, so there's no reason to even bother trying to twist the story at this point. The events that transpired on Sunday are obviously more detailed on the report so there's still a chance they could deny me, seeing as she never asked where it happened nor did I mention Mid Ohio lol

Also Andy I've met you at Auto Assets lol, the brown kid that came by one night after hours and drank beers :)

:no:

Park it at Easton, go to a movie, come out and gasp at what happened while you were away......call the cops.

Too many cameras around. Needed to find a remote two lane road in the country with a bridge and slid along it crushing the passenger side a bit more. Drove to a nearby place of business and called the cops on himself stating he swerved to avoid a dear and in the process kissed the bridge along that side. Drove off to get to safer location, etc. Cop, likely a sheriff, would likely have forgiven the leaving of he scene of middle of no-where in order to get to someplace safe, etc. Even if you get a ticket for failure to control, etc. it's cheaper than $12k and you've have a nice police report for the claim. Do it at night time as you're out for some "casual alone time to think" etc.. I hate when shit like that happens :ninja:

Save

Sorry about the situation.

To the folks that have track insurance, roughly how much does that cost? Is it like the classic car insurance, that it is based on an agreed valve?

I've been quoted up $500 per event for my car but that's covered at a pretty steep amount based on replacement value.

Lockton track insurance has been $165 an event for me. stated value 28k. would not track without it. watched a gt3 driven by an instructor spin on fluids from another car. hit front and rear when he spun off-did not look good if he didn't have coverage.

To the folks that have track insurance, roughly how much does that cost? Is it like the classic car insurance, that it is based on an agreed valve?

Like anything else...the more you buy the cheaper it gets.

I think Locton was $2400 for 6 events (full weekends not individual days) for the GT3 at stated value of $70k.

Locton only covers certain events though. There are a couple others that will cover any track event and with unlimited participation and the pricing I got through them was around $3500 / year

Most of these policies have a 10% deductible (of stated value) for any claim.

Locton and on-track insurance will also do individual days and or events but obviously the price is a good bit higher in this situation.

Like anything else...the more you buy the cheaper it gets.

I think Locton was $2400 for 6 events (full weekends not individual days) for the GT3 at stated value of $70k.

Locton only covers certain events though. There are a couple others that will cover any track event and with unlimited participation and the pricing I got through them was around $3500 / year

Most of these policies have a 10% deductible (of stated value) for any claim.

Locton and on-track insurance will also do individual days and or events but obviously the price is a good bit higher in this situation.

That's very pricey...

If you cannot afford to completely write the car off that you're tracking with, you probably shouldn't be using that for a track "toy"

That's very pricey...

If you cannot afford to completely write the car off that you're tracking with, you probably shouldn't be using that for a track "toy"

cheaper than writing off a $75k+ car. It all depends on what you're using to track with compared to the cost. For an Evo it might not make sense. For a GT3 I would any day.

cheaper than writing off a $75k+ car. It all depends on what you're using to track with compared to the cost. For an Evo it might not make sense. For a GT3 I would any day.

I would find something else to track with then...

Couldn't imagine dropping $2,500 into a bucket every 6 events, plus 10% of the value if something happens. Not a smart financial decision.

That's very pricey...

I dunno, If you think about it 6 events is probably what someone does in a season in their own car if they are not in a racing series. and $2400 is probably pretty close to what I imagine it costs to insure a GT3 as a DD in any major city. So if you think of it like you are asking your car to do the job of two separate cars, be a street car and a race car, it sort of makes sense.

what's the old saw? speed costs money so how fast you want to go?

for some it makes sense to buy a $500 E30 and toss it out like the crumpled beer can it is when things go sideways...but the faster you want to go the better a car you will need and the more money you will spend. This is not a hobby for the poor.

I watched my father race cars in SCCA and then airplanes for years - you want to talk about setting fire to money....there were years the xmas presents were handmade.

I disagree, there are many people who profit well from automotive investments

yes, and we call them either professionals or very lucky.

Lockton gets cheaper if you're running a lower price car. Fiancé' mini with value of $12k was $85, my mustang with listed mods and $15k value was also $85 for carfest.

Thankfully for the mustang my parts transfer over to any new edge mustang (or even fox body really) so for track if I trash it it's only $1500-3k for a clean body and swap all the parts over

I would find something else to track with then...

Couldn't imagine dropping $2,500 into a bucket every 6 events, plus 10% of the value if something happens. Not a smart financial decision.

Don't get a track habit. It doesn't take long for things to add up if you regularly go. I'd say for most driving faster cars it averages out to about $1k per event (entry, hotel if needed, gas, consumable parts). And that assumes you don't break anything.

Track a bike! Pretty sure it's cheaper. You can get a solid track bike for $2500-3000. I spent $500 on a nice set of used leathers and another $200 on gear from Iron Pony.

I buy my Mid-ohio track days in January when they have their 25% discount for ~$150 each, then if buy four of them you get to go to the free track day at the end of the season. Works out to five full track days for $120 each for me each year. I spend about $20 on gas for the bike/trailer and another $10 on snacks/Gatorade (although they provide lunch and water/drinks with the track day). You can also pick up a set of Dunlop Q3's when they have their $50 rebates for around $200 or less that should last you the five track days depending on your pace.

$180-200 total per track day is hard to beat!

I think Locton was $2400

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/wtf_reaction_gif.gif

For that price, I have a couple of vehicles you can buy outright, crash them into a wall, walk away and fly back to Columbus in a rental helicopter...and still have $$$ left for dinner at Hudson 29. ;):gabe:

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/wtf_reaction_gif.gif

For that price, I have a couple of vehicles you can buy outright, crash them into a wall, walk away and fly back to Columbus in a rental helicopter...and still have $$$ left for dinner at Hudson 29. ;):gabe:

I've thought about cheaper cars a few times...but "I wanna go fast" As was stated earlier you gotta pay to play at a certain level. For the money there's nothing faster, more developed and more reliable than the car I'm driving...it was designed for this stuff. Sure you can build an RX-7 or corvette to be just as quick for cheaper but they're constantly going through parts to do it. Ask Chandler his vette with the right setup was probably quicker than my car but he saw the light of what it could possibly cost to keep running that pace in that car and decided it as for the best to go another direction.

My 12 year old car is as fast as anything out there except maybe the most modern GT3's at 2x as much money.

...oh and the icing on the cake is it's worth 20k more than I paid for it. So yeah I'm going to protect my investment to insure it's covered in the event of a worst case scenario and then I'm going to continue to use as I enjoy using it. I drove it to work the other day and to cars and coffee the other weekend...BUT that's not what I bought it for and that's not what it's good at. It's enjoyable for about the first half of the drive to work then it wears off. I've got a smile on my face every second I'm on the track with it though. Shit I can send you videos of me laughing in the car because sometimes it just fucking amazes me at what it can do.

I don't have any other crazy hobbies...track driving and instructing is my thing, it's my passion and if I could make a living at it I'd be doing it on a professional basis...alas that's just a pipe dream.

I don't buy anything without the intent of taking it to the track. Turbo is going to the track next month with Yasmin behind the wheel.

Did the bike thing before cars..it's great fun and cheap and bikes are fast but it hurts when you fall off. I'm too old and fat for bikes now plus I'm just as fast as all but the fastest bike guys anyhow with the safety net of a cage protecting me.

Don't get a track habit. It doesn't take long for things to add up if you regularly go. I'd say for most driving faster cars it averages out to about $1k per event (entry, hotel if needed, gas, consumable parts). And that assumes you don't break anything.

I'm in a good area, where tracks are driveable distances.

My Elise was quoted $500, like two years ago per event.

I'd rather pocket that $500 per event, and if anything major were to happen, chances are I wouldn't be walking away alive anyways.

Everyone looks at things differently. I view track insurance like an extended warranty, for a car you couldn't afford to fix if it wasn't for having that security blanket of the warranty. There's a reason these companies are in business.....

Now if I had a Porsche 935, or something of that caliber I was tracking a handful of times a year, looking into track insurance might make sense..